PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Welcome from GA TECH

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Welcome from GA TECH

Postby Ramblinwreck89 » Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:33 pm

Welcome. I’ve been reading your board and excited to see the excitement. Excited to see SMU in the conference. Not excited about the California schools at all.

been a GA-TECH fan my whole life. We have 4 nattys in football, founding member of the SEC. Left the SEC to go independent and eventually ended up in the ACC. We have traditional rivals with UGA and Clemson that date to the 1800’s. Also dead rivalries with Bama, Auburn, Tenn and fresh new ones in the ACC. Tech is looking to return to more glory days like most programs but has had a few horrible seasons. Tech fans are pretty cool but can be super bitter.

Get ready to deal with the Tobacco Road schools. They pretty much get their way with everything. UNC football has never been relevant yet they act like they carry a history in football equivalent to the packers. Giving you a heads up that Miami “is back” every year after they win their first game. F$U fans are some of the worst and act like divas. F$U invented cheating. Clemson fans are some of the nicest but has 130-140 years of football medicracy and now they think they should be in the NFL after 6-7 good seasons.. Louisville doesn’t seem to fit into this conference. All the northern schools are pretty cool. DUKE fans in basketball are about like F$U fans. I think NC-State is still in the ACC. Not sure.

Everyone has an equal hate for Notre Dame

There. Now that’s pretty much everything you need to know about your new home
Ramblinwreck89

Re: Welcome from GA TECH

Postby Water Pony » Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:52 pm

Ramblinwreck89 wrote:Welcome. I’ve been reading your board and excited to see the excitement. Excited to see SMU in the conference. Not excited about the California schools at all.

been a GA-TECH fan my whole life. We have 4 nattys in football, founding member of the SEC. Left the SEC to go independent and eventually ended up in the ACC. We have traditional rivals with UGA and Clemson that date to the 1800’s. Also dead rivalries with Bama, Auburn, Tenn and fresh new ones in the ACC. Tech is looking to return to more glory days like most programs but has had a few horrible seasons. Tech fans are pretty cool but can be super bitter.

Get ready to deal with the Tobacco Road schools. They pretty much get their way with everything. UNC football has never been relevant yet they act like they carry a history in football equivalent to the packers. Giving you a heads up that Miami “is back” every year after they win their first game. F$U fans are some of the worst and act like divas. F$U invented cheating. Clemson fans are some of the nicest but has 130-140 years of football medicracy and now they think they should be in the NFL after 6-7 good seasons.. Louisville doesn’t seem to fit into this conference. All the northern schools are pretty cool. DUKE fans in basketball are about like F$U fans. I think NC-State is still in the ACC. Not sure.

Thank you, Kind Sir. Your comments seem well placed.

We look forward to coming to Atlanta and hosting you in Dallas. Two great cities, BTW. You will be impressed by our campus and the more than a quarter of a billion dollars we have invested recently in new athletic facilities. And, our FB team is ready to compete right now. 8)
Pony Up
Water Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby TwoTimeGrad » Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:57 pm

Ramblinwreck89 wrote:Welcome. I’ve been reading your board and excited to see the excitement. Excited to see SMU in the conference. Not excited about the California schools at all.

Thanks for the ACC cliff notes.

Come see one of our games and enjoy our hospitality.
TwoTimeGrad
Scout Team

Postby Topper » Fri Sep 01, 2023 1:00 pm

Georgia Tech is too often overlooked around here I think. Great traditions and great history. I think Dallas and Atlanta are very similar and have been rivals for business for so long great to see the rivalry translate to the football field.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Fri Sep 01, 2023 1:03 pm

Was already going to be paying attention to Georgia Tech more this season with Haynes King taking over at the helm. Obviously now will be doing it for a different reason on top of Haynes.

Excited for the Ponies to travel to ATL.
Mustangs35SMU

Postby Silk » Fri Sep 01, 2023 1:31 pm

Ramblinwreck89 wrote:F$U invented cheating.

Clearly you're not familiar with the folks at Texas A&M, OU, Baylor, etc. :D

Thanks for the welcome. Looking forward to my first trip to Atlanta!
Silk
Varsity

Postby PlanoStang » Fri Sep 01, 2023 1:59 pm

Thanks for the welcome. Haynes King your new starting QB led my HS, Longview, to a 6A state championship in 2018. Hope he does well for y'all. Except when playing SMU. You can see some of his work at Stang Lobo on youtube. Short videos I took at playoff games.
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Ramblinwreck89 » Fri Sep 01, 2023 2:53 pm

PlanoStang wrote:Thanks for the welcome. Haynes King your new starting QB led my HS, Longview, to a 6A state championship in 2018. Hope he does well for y'all. Except when playing SMU. You can see some of his work at Stang Lobo on youtube. Short videos I took at playoff games.

Looking forward to him. He beat out two talented quarterbacks here. I’m relieved to have him after watching our former qb Jeff sims play for Nebraska last night. But we’ll see tonight how king does. His Offensive Coordinator came from UGA and coached Stetson Bennett and his quarterback coach is Chris Weinke. I’m sure they are the best two coaches for him right now
Ramblinwreck89

Postby mustangxc » Fri Sep 01, 2023 3:00 pm

Thank you! Excited to play Georgia Tech in the near future!
mustangxc

Postby PonyKris89 » Fri Sep 01, 2023 3:28 pm

Thank you Ramblinwreck89 !! Looking forward to our new conference the ACC. I have always said to anybody who would listen, that SMU would fit beautifully in the ACC. Prayers have been answered
Beat the hell out of anybody!
PonyKris89
Heisman

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Fri Sep 01, 2023 6:36 pm

Ramblinwreck89 wrote:
PlanoStang wrote:Thanks for the welcome. Haynes King your new starting QB led my HS, Longview, to a 6A state championship in 2018. Hope he does well for y'all. Except when playing SMU. You can see some of his work at Stang Lobo on youtube. Short videos I took at playoff games.

Looking forward to him. He beat out two talented quarterbacks here. I’m relieved to have him after watching our former qb Jeff sims play for Nebraska last night. But we’ll see tonight how king does. His Offensive Coordinator came from UGA and coached Stetson Bennett and his quarterback coach is Chris Weinke. I’m sure they are the best two coaches for him right now

Definitely be patient with him. Kid is a stand up guy. Loved getting to know him when he was at Longview. Dude is still concerned a legend, especially with his dad still head coach of the Lobos.

Best of luck tonight and this season. Know you'll have some East Texas folks cheerin for y'all.
Mustangs35SMU

Postby carolina stang » Fri Sep 01, 2023 7:34 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome. Always liked the Yellow Jackets. One of our old quarterbacks from 1979, Jim Bob Taylor, transferred to Ga Tech in 1981. He had a good year or two and later played a season for the Colts. Looking forward to being conference mates!
"Your announcer is Bill Melton."
carolina stang
Varsity

Postby HarvCrimYaleBlue » Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:01 pm

Thanks for the welcome. GT owns SMU football 2-8-1 all time with SMUs last loss in 1969. Excited to rekindle the roman and level up the record books.
HarvCrimYaleBlue
Heisman

Postby IAM4CU » Sat Sep 02, 2023 4:55 pm

I agree with pretty much everything that Ramblinwreck has to say except for the one Clemson comment. I think you will find Clemson fans to be very friendly and welcoming. We certainly do have a large number of fans with "big heads" nowadays however, Ramblinwreck is a little off base when he states Clemson has "130-140 years of mediocrity". Clemson is a charter member of the ACC (founded in 1953) and has won 22 ACC championships in the 70 year history of the ACC (31%). Clemson had very strong teams in the 50's, late 70's, 80's, early 90's, 2000's, 2010's, and so far in the 2020's. We have 3 national championships (1981, 2016, 2018) and are the #14 team all time in FBS wins.
IAM4CU

Postby HailToPitt725 » Sat Sep 02, 2023 8:02 pm

IAM4CU wrote:

I agree with pretty much everything that Ramblinwreck has to say except for the one Clemson comment. I think you will find Clemson fans to be very friendly and welcoming. We certainly do have a large number of fans with "big heads" nowadays however, Ramblinwreck is a little off base when he states Clemson has "130-140 years of mediocrity". Clemson is a charter member of the ACC (founded in 1953) and has won 22 ACC championships in the 70 year history of the ACC (31%). Clemson had very strong teams in the 50's, late 70's, 80's, early 90's, 2000's, 2010's, and so far in the 2020's. We have 3 national championships (1981, 2016, 2018) and are the #14 team all time in FBS wins.

SMU fans will LOVE their first road trip to Clemson, SC. That fanbase is the kindest and most hospitable hosts we’ve ever encountered on the road. Maybe that’s because we’re used to the folks in Morgantown and State College… even after we beat them in 2016, they thanked us for coming and were very respectful. To me, the Tigers are the epitome of Southern hospitality.
HailToPitt725

Return to Football