PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

ACC adding Stanford, Cal, SMU feels like a new low

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

ACC adding Stanford, Cal, SMU feels like a new low

Postby indianmustang » Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:05 am

Mustang from India
indianmustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: ACC adding Stanford, Cal, SMU feels like a new low

Postby SMU Pom Mom » Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:53 am

He seems mad. And not very well informed, especially for someone who holds himself out as an expert on college football. For example, he seems to think that football win-loss records are the most important criteria for getting invited to a conference. Not a particularly nuanced take.
SMU Pom Mom
All-American

Postby planoponyfan » Sat Sep 02, 2023 12:12 pm

I hate to say it, but there's a lot of truth in this story.

I feel like the ACC is primed to fall apart like the Pac-12. (there's a lot of talk on the ACC boards about exactly that topic)

The addition of Stanford, Cal, and SMU helps limit the damage that will be caused by Florida State, Clemson, and UNC ultimately leaving. You can bet others will escape too when that happens.

This is a temporary move for SMU and the ACC. In a few years there will be more realignment. I will not be surprised to see the bostered SEC, Big Ten, and Big XII pick up and leave the NCAA for a huge exclusive TV deal with ESPN/Disney. The rest of us will be left without much TV revenue from the other networks because few of them will have big enough followings to warrant a decent TV deal.

But for now.. we can celebrate buying our way in to the ACC. Maybe it'll be fun for a while. Maybe we'll occasionally surprise someone in football or basketball. But we're going to be at an extreme competitive disadvantage with this deal. I hope I'm wrong. I guess this is better than staying put in the AAC. Maybe that's the best way to look at it.
planoponyfan
Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Sep 02, 2023 12:22 pm

planoponyfan wrote:I hate to say it, but there's a lot of truth in this story.

I feel like the ACC is primed to fall apart like the Pac-12. (there's a lot of talk on the ACC boards about exactly that topic)

The addition of Stanford, Cal, and SMU helps limit the damage that will be caused by Florida State, Clemson, and UNC ultimately leaving. You can bet others will escape too when that happens.

This is a temporary move for SMU and the ACC. In a few years there will be more realignment. I will not be surprised to see the bostered SEC, Big Ten, and Big XII pick up and leave the NCAA for a huge exclusive TV deal with ESPN/Disney. The rest of us will be left without much TV revenue from the other networks because few of them will have big enough followings to warrant a decent TV deal.

But for now.. we can celebrate buying our way in to the ACC. Maybe it'll be fun for a while. Maybe we'll occasionally surprise someone in football or basketball. But we're going to be at an extreme competitive disadvantage with this deal. I hope I'm wrong. I guess this is better than staying put in the AAC. Maybe that's the best way to look at it.

The key is for SMU to return to the level we were in the Pony Express era. As long as the NIL rules remain what they are that is a good possibility and next time SMU won't be left behind
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby GoTangs » Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:00 pm

I'd rather be on the life raft even if it's taking a little water.
GoTangs

Postby Mustangs_Maroons » Sat Sep 02, 2023 2:32 pm

This is absolutely the wrong way to view this. We’re joining a top 3 conference, and in my opinion, the best conference in terms of mix of academics and sports.

Even if it loses FSU, Clemson and UNC, the remaining members are still better than the current little 12 which lost a whole lot more with the loss of UT and OU. We’re in a much better position and we are now in the conversation. We were on the outside looking in before.
Mustangs_Maroons
Heisman

Postby Dukie » Sat Sep 02, 2023 2:36 pm

Dude went to VANDERBILT and is whining about what SMU and CalFord add.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dukie
Heisman

Postby max the wonder dog » Sat Sep 02, 2023 7:08 pm

Mustangs_Maroons wrote:

This is absolutely the wrong way to view this. We’re joining a top 3 conference, and in my opinion, the best conference in terms of mix of academics and sports.

Even if it loses FSU, Clemson and UNC, the remaining members are still better than the current little 12 which lost a whole lot more with the loss of UT and OU. We’re in a much better position and we are now in the conversation. We were on the outside looking in before.

And if they do leave, ACC can back fill with the best fits from the Big 12 :lol:
max the wonder dog
Heisman

Return to Football