PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Welcome From Clemson

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Welcome From Clemson

Postby IAM4CU » Sat Sep 02, 2023 5:14 pm

As a Clemson fan, I would like to welcome all of the SMU fans to the ACC. Clemson voted no on the expansion but that had more to do with ACC politics and potential positioning for an exit from the ACC than it did about the actual new member schools. Most Clemson fans that I know and have spoken to are pleased with the addition of SMU. Probably less pleased with the Stanford/UC additions - mostly due to bi-coastal travel and a significant difference in political viewpoints between California and South Carolina. Clemson is looking to leave the ACC due solely to $$$ and not necessarily due to the conference. All things being equal, Clemson would prefer to stay in the ACC but the $$$ disparity between the ACC and SEC/BIG makes that unrealistic from Clemson's viewpoint. Heck, Clemson is a charter member of the ACC (formed in 1953). All of this is to say ........ the ACC is a pretty decent conference with many fine schools. I have had the pleasure of attending football games at every ACC venue (some multiple times) and never had a bad experience. I think you guys will find this to be true as you travel to away ACC games. I certainly hope that we (Clemson) will get a chance to play a game at SMU - if so, I will definitely make the trip. And if you make it to Clemson for a game, I think you will be welcomed with open arms.

Congratulations to SMU!
IAM4CU

Re: Welcome From Clemson

Postby Sewanee Stang » Sat Sep 02, 2023 5:36 pm

Thanks friend. We are thrilled to join the ACC, and I can’t wait to visit your campus. I’ve heard wonderful things about it.
Sewanee Stang
Varsity

Postby Hoofbeat83 » Sat Sep 02, 2023 5:47 pm

Nice to hear sir. Thanks for writing. We have so much for which to be grateful. I'm becoming a fan of schools I never imagined I would...like Clemson!
I root for: Mustangs, Astros & Jets!
Hoofbeat83
All-American

Postby IAM4CU » Sat Sep 02, 2023 5:53 pm

Also, the ACC is very strong in basketball, soccer, baseball, and golf. I think your other sports teams will find the ACC to be very competitive and should offer some really fun and interesting games/matches.
IAM4CU

Postby fan » Sat Sep 02, 2023 6:02 pm

Thanks for the welcome. I have heard that Clemson tailgate scene is fun and most are welcoming to visiting fans (except USC fans). If you get a chance to visit our Boulevard you will definitely find a welcoming atmosphere (as long as you're not dressed in TCU purple).
Thanks for posting on our board.
fan
Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Sep 02, 2023 6:37 pm

Both my kids went to Clemson so I've been there several times and couldn't be happier we will soon be conference mates. I hope it works out for the long term. Good tailgating at Clemson but tough to beat The Boulevard which was inspired by "The Grove" at Ole Miss, one of the best tailgating experiences in college football as far as I'm concerned (visited years ago when SMU played in Oxford). Still haven't played Clemson's golf course but hoping to do that sometime soon. ,
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMU Pom Mom » Sat Sep 02, 2023 7:09 pm

I met a very nice couple from Clemson at cheer and dance nationals in 2019. They made a lasting positive impression on me. Funny how one good interaction can color our whole view. Good vibes!
SMU Pom Mom
All-American

Postby HarvCrimYaleBlue » Sun Sep 03, 2023 12:14 pm

Welcome. Would be really great to play Clemson. Fun fact, SMU has never faced Clemson since starting football in 1915.
HarvCrimYaleBlue
Heisman

Return to Football