PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Next stadium project? SHADE, PLEASE!

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Next stadium project? SHADE, PLEASE!

Postby Drum Major » Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:45 am

Once the endzone is done, I hope the bosses would seriously explore coverings of some sort in the stadium. That sun is oppressive. And as an added bonus, it would help when it rains as well. I see something like U Dub's stadium in Seattle (they have the rain problem as opposed to our sun issues). If we are really trying to keep butts in seats, this would help.
Drum Major
Recruit

Re: Next stadium project? SHADE, PLEASE!

Postby PlanoStang » Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:58 am

Well if our new conference opponents have major followings who live in DFW and N. Texas, we may end up upper decking the east side. As a student in the mid 70s, I remember seeking the shade from the sun, and roof during rain of the east side upper deck at the Cotton Bowl.
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:52 am

Only way I was able to make it as long as I did was because I was able to move to the far side with the shade. Absolutely brutal.
Mustangs35SMU
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Dukie » Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:55 am

One good thing about the ACC working out instead of the PAC is that SMU would always have been under pressure to be the PAC’s early game. At least now there’s a decent chance of evening slots.

But yes there’s got to be some shade.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby stlpony » Sun Sep 03, 2023 10:40 am

If our first game is at night, and yes that’s way more likely in the ACC, it’s manageable. The conference games will have beautiful weather! I imagine Calford + SMU will be slotted for the later games (and Calford might be our “rivalry” games too). A great time to be a Pony.
stlpony
Scout Team

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Sep 03, 2023 10:47 am

Yes, shade would be nice and a covered air conditioned stadium would be wonderful if it was even affordable and allowed (H.P. zoning/building restrictions). Support/attendance is one of the major challenges SMU has. I suppose it is all about the magnitude and importance of the game. I think it was even hotter the day Ford opened vs Kansas, although that was an evening game...and Ford was packed that day despite the fact it was hotter at kickoff than it was yesterday. I was on the east side and remember how hot those aluminum benches were!
Charleston Pony

Postby Drum Major » Sun Sep 03, 2023 11:03 am

Yes, something like Syracuse's Carrier Dome (with the new name, whatever it is) would be even more awesome, but I figure that is probably asking too much.... LOL
Drum Major
Recruit

Postby HarvCrimYaleBlue » Sun Sep 03, 2023 12:11 pm

Mustangs35SMU wrote:Only way I was able to make it as long as I did was because I was able to move to the far side with the shade. Absolutely brutal.

Where did you go? Last row on the east side? We moved around and found nothing but more sun.
HarvCrimYaleBlue
Heisman

Postby DFW HOYA » Sun Sep 03, 2023 1:45 pm

Drum Major wrote:Yes, something like Syracuse's Carrier Dome (with the new name, whatever it is) would be even more awesome, but I figure that is probably asking too much.... LOL

Even though the Carrier Dome is named after an air conditioning company, that building actually did not have air conditioning, owing to the high cost of installation and the lower fall temperatures in central New York.
DFW HOYA
Scout Team

Postby PlanoStang » Sun Sep 03, 2023 3:16 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:Yes, shade would be nice and a covered air conditioned stadium would be wonderful if it was even affordable and allowed (H.P. zoning/building restrictions). Support/attendance is one of the major challenges SMU has. I suppose it is all about the magnitude and importance of the game. I think it was even hotter the day Ford opened vs Kansas, although that was an evening game...and Ford was packed that day despite the fact it was hotter at kickoff than it was yesterday. I was on the east side and remember how hot those aluminum benches were!

I remember sitting on the free t shirt they gave you to celebrate Ford’s opening. Still a hot dog on the ol buns.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Paladin » Sun Sep 03, 2023 3:35 pm

I just received an online survey about the experience at Ford Stadium yesterday. A good idea for everyone to complete and voice their suggestions for more shade, etc. I actually think SMU did a good job yesterday with the gameday experience, with free water, cool area inside concourse, re-engineered food concessions with grab n go snacks & beverages, even the F-16 flyover. Except for the heat, it was overall an awesome experience yesterday !
Paladin
All-American

Postby Blvd_Stang » Sun Sep 03, 2023 7:12 pm

Does anyone know what Ford's capacity will be once the endzone project is complete?
2009 Ponyfans Rookie of the Year
Blvd_Stang
Heisman

Postby PlanoStang » Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:02 pm

About 37000 - 38000.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Blvd_Stang » Sun Sep 03, 2023 10:57 pm

Honestly, that’s a good size for us.

If we can regularly get 30,000+ with ACC opponents, then Ford will look good.

If it’s like ND or Fl St., maybe we play at Jerry World.
2009 Ponyfans Rookie of the Year
Blvd_Stang
Heisman

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Mon Sep 04, 2023 9:57 am

HarvCrimYaleBlue wrote:
Mustangs35SMU wrote:Only way I was able to make it as long as I did was because I was able to move to the far side with the shade. Absolutely brutal.

Where did you go? Last row on the east side? We moved around and found nothing but more sun.

All the way to the top on the far side by the student section. Shade was there just with the way sun was positioned that early in the day.

Honestly, just having the seats not burning us was enough to be able to manage it for a half.
Mustangs35SMU

Next

Return to Football