PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Another welcome from Georgia Tech

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Another welcome from Georgia Tech

Postby stech81 » Sun Sep 03, 2023 1:59 pm

First, welcome glad to have you in the ACC. As an older guy I use to love to watch SMU in the hay days early 80's.

Now a few things to help you understand this conference I have been a season ticket holder for 40 years. I have been to most a few road games, UNC, NC State. Duke, WF, Clemson, FSU, UVa, and VPI. (Hint here Georgia Tech is Tech that other school in Virginia is VPI)

I know the way things read on the internet that you may think Clemson is bad. But you will not meet better fans than them. Great to tailgate with and will invite you to join them. We have played them 87 times and still are 50-35-2 against them. Their Head Coach is a really nice person and does things the right way.

UVa we call the wine and cheese school.
You will find out most all the schools in the ACC are fine to visitors.
NC State hates UNC and everyone hates UNC.

Both of Dukes football fans are nice

FSU run the conference from 1992 to 2001 while Bobby Bowden was at FSU. But the last 5 years they only had one winning season and the was last year.

UNC thinks the run the conference, not sure why the last time the won the ACC was 1980.
As far as a schedule goes It comes out about late January But with the 3 new teams could be longer so they can work out their OOC games. We don't have 2 divisions this year. your guess is as good as anyone now for next year.

Another thing we hate the SEC. Also understand that the Big 12 hates us because of West Virginia who wanted in the ACC, Not sure what happen with the schools in Virginia and North Carolina with West Virginia but there is some bad blood.

Again Welcome to the ACC look forward to seeing Y'all.
stech81

Re: Another welcome from Georgia Tech

Postby Water Pony » Sun Sep 03, 2023 3:00 pm

Thanks, stech81, for coming to say hi. We are looking forward to 2024 too. Visiting ATL is a must and you will thoroughly enjoyed coming to Dallas. Our pre-game Boulevard is a must during your visit.

SMU and Georgia Tech are two great brands, along with all the other ACC schools. Your tutorial on sister schools is appreciated.
Pony Up
Water Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby BillgoCU » Mon Sep 04, 2023 8:48 am

From a Clemson grad, thank you for the kind words, Tech fan!
I have always enjoyed trips to Bobby Dodd in Atlanta. Very cool setting of a college campus nestled right up against a big city. And Clemson and Tech have had many a great game over the years. I believe the new coach has the jackets headed back in the right direction. Plus Clemson and Tech have always been united in our mutual distain for UGA.

The only ACC road games I've had rough experiences are FSU, VPI, and NC State. Each of those fanbases has some rowdy fans that might give you grief. The other places are generally friendly, although Clemson is known for being one of the best.

Basketball is excellent all over the conference of course.

And yes, baseball and soccer are also fun around the ACC.

I'm glad we have SMU joining the conference. Oh, and it's been a fantastic opening weekend for the ACC in football! (Tough luck SC and LSU, ha!)
BillgoCU

Postby smuaustin1971 » Mon Sep 04, 2023 11:53 am

Fun / fond memory. Growing up in Atlanta in the 50's, the first college football game I attended was SMU vs Georgia Tech at Grant Field in I think 1957. Don Meredith was the quarterback and the game ended in a tie.
smuaustin1971
Scout Team

Postby Ramrouser » Mon Sep 04, 2023 12:39 pm

As a UNC alum and Atlanta resident I say welcome to the family. I believe an ACC membership may help unleash SMU’s potential in football. I too remember the Pony Express era and see no reason why SMU can’t return to glory (this time legally with NIL!). If TCU can do it why not SMU?

You have a beautiful campus and I look forward to attending road games there. I do have a selfish motive since my daughter resides in Oak Lawn, a few miles from campus.

See you soon.
Ramrouser

Postby mustangxc » Mon Sep 04, 2023 1:16 pm

Thank you! I can't wait for SMU to play against all the ACC teams! What is the best ACC discussion forum?
mustangxc
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Ramrouser » Mon Sep 04, 2023 1:33 pm

I’m not aware of an ACC forum site

Main UNC forum is insidecarolina.com.
Ramrouser

Postby Graceland Tar Heel » Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:09 pm

stech81 wrote:First, welcome glad to have you in the ACC. As an older guy I use to love to watch SMU in the hay days early 80's.

Now a few things to help you understand this conference I have been a season ticket holder for 40 years. I have been to most a few road games, UNC, NC State. Duke, WF, Clemson, FSU, UVa, and VPI. (Hint here Georgia Tech is Tech that other school in Virginia is VPI)

I know the way things read on the internet that you may think Clemson is bad. But you will not meet better fans than them. Great to tailgate with and will invite you to join them. We have played them 87 times and still are 50-35-2 against them. Their Head Coach is a really nice person and does things the right way.

UVa we call the wine and cheese school.
You will find out most all the schools in the ACC are fine to visitors.
NC State hates UNC and everyone hates UNC.

Both of Dukes football fans are nice

FSU run the conference from 1992 to 2001 while Bobby Bowden was at FSU. But the last 5 years they only had one winning season and the was last year.

UNC thinks the run the conference, not sure why the last time the won the ACC was 1980.
As far as a schedule goes It comes out about late January But with the 3 new teams could be longer so they can work out their OOC games. We don't have 2 divisions this year. your guess is as good as anyone now for next year.

Another thing we hate the SEC. Also understand that the Big 12 hates us because of West Virginia who wanted in the ACC, Not sure what happen with the schools in Virginia and North Carolina with West Virginia but there is some bad blood.

Again Welcome to the ACC look forward to seeing Y'all.

Let me fill in some things from the vantage of a TN native who came to love ACC rivalries while in Chapel Hill.

It is VPI to us older folks because the school name is Virginia Polytechnic Institute (and State University). That last part is the reason that some derisively call VT 'VippySue.' GT, as you know but many SMU folks may not, is actually Georgia Institute of Technology. But GT has always (back to SEC days) been Tech or GT - never GIT.

The biggest hatreds in the ACC are UNC-Dook and UNC-Moo (NCSU), and it is about all sports and everything else. UNC-UVA is The South's Oldest Rivalry but there is no real hatred.

Clemson football fans are the best overall. VPI fans are surprisingly decent, except to UVA and, increasingly, to UNC. FSU football fans have a massive sense of entitlement that is mixed with a whole bunch of neurotic chips on each shoulder. So they can't really enjoy victories, and they blame losses (like the many recent ones to teensy Wake) on the ACC. Many GT fans fit into the nerdy, high IQ math type, but they can be fun when they talk about how revolting most SEC fan bases are.

Wake fans used to be easy to parody as people who failed to get into DOOK, UVA, or UNC, and so accepted losing as like breathing. They are very few of them, as Wake has replaced Rice being the smallest school in the Major conference. Miami fans are a strange mix of Guido NYC-NJ-Philly types mixed with the wild south FL types. They can be funny: They dislike everyone almost equally.

BC fans are oblivious to most things. They accept that their region means nothing to CFB, but they still feel they are entitled to be a Major conference. Syracuse fans still fall into acting like they believe a school in NY can have football fans that matter. Pitt fans tend to be a unique mix of Midwestern soundness and northeastern assumption that the old days when CFB mattered in the northeast are about to be back. Louisville fans hate only Kentucky, and that is good enough for me.

UNC fans are almost as wine and cheese as UVA fans. Except we do dearly hate Dook and Moo.
Graceland Tar Heel
Junior Varsity

Postby Graceland Tar Heel » Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:16 pm

Ramrouser wrote:I’m not aware of an ACC forum site

Main UNC forum is insidecarolina.com.

Syracusefan has many threads that are about the ACC as a whole. Fans of several different schools show up fairly often. The GT 247 boards, The Hive, has 1 very long running thread about the ACC. But the GT people there often are nasty in the ultra nerdy ways.
Graceland Tar Heel
Junior Varsity

Postby Terry Webster » Mon Sep 04, 2023 4:08 pm

Thanks. I lived out in Gwinnett county from 1990 to 2000. Might have to wander back sometime for a game.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby HailToPitt725 » Mon Sep 04, 2023 5:13 pm

mustangxc wrote:Thank you! I can't wait for SMU to play against all the ACC teams! What is the best ACC discussion forum?

If you’re interested in visiting the Pitt board, our link is here: https://pittsburgh.forums.rivals.com/fo ... -board.22/

We’ve been discussing SMU quite a bit the past couple days. As Paco mentioned in another post, the consensus is that we’re excited for all three to join.
HailToPitt725

Postby stech81 » Mon Sep 04, 2023 6:25 pm

mustangxc wrote:Thank you! I can't wait for SMU to play against all the ACC teams! What is the best ACC discussion forum?

Each team has their own for Tech we have 3 https://gtswarm.com/forums/ , https://stingtalk.com/board/forums/football.5/
and https://247sports.com/college/georgia-t ... er-104173/
stech81

Return to Football