PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Reflections on The Week That Was

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Reflections on The Week That Was

Postby Water Pony » Mon Sep 04, 2023 3:07 pm

After the last 6 months and especially the last three days, I am overflowing with gratitude and excitement for SMU's future as an upcoming member of the ACC.

First, the events, decisions, non-decisions, and efforts of our administration, Board of Trustees, and major donors this year have immersed us in a rollercoaster of emotions from anxiety to the official ACC invitation early Friday morning. Have held our breath so long, the reality is still sinking in. We have a wonderful destination for our athletic teams with an enhanced view of SMU as a leading university, based on our new ACC peer group. Amazing.

Landing this specific invitation along with Cal and Stanford was hard to imagine. Part of me wanted to be aligned with Stanford and Cal because of their prestige on so many levels as well as their location in the Bay Area. Combining annual games in the Bay Area along with the ACC's Eastern Time Zone is ideal. I would have snaped up a PAC-12 invitation, but the final outcome is a perfect fit for SMU. It is the best of all worlds for our teams, travel destinations, and enhanced brand and academic reputation for us. Our prior scenarios and options weren't as good as this result ... honestly.

As for the ACC, adding SMU will turn out to be more impactful for them than they currently realize. We will be highly competitive and provide a unique location for teams traveling from both the Atlantic and Pacific coasts. With Dallas, the ACC gains more than a great media market (along with northern California) and transportation hub, the conference will come to realize the scheduling benefits for teams needing to travel across the country. Even non-revenue sports, which deserve more consideration, will want to meet in the middle.

Lastly, for all the anxiety filled posts about our administration's efforts to recover from our past dilemmas, Turner, Hart, and our trustees and benefactors are to be recognized for pulling this invitation off. The creation of the Power 5 Task Force and realization that we had to be both aggressive in our ability to self-finance this move and flexible enough to have multiple paths underway, especially when the more probable invitation was expected from the PAC-!2 was innovative and amazing. The implosion of the PAC-12 could have been fatal to our interests and game plan.

However, our leadership and their resources made our ideal scenario, an ACC invitation, more than a fallback position. Joining the ACC and combining the benefits of including the highest regarded west coast universities as part of the newly expanded conference makes it even better.

Any criticism of what the ACC and Jim Phillips did, despite opposition from three ACC schools, ignores the fact that the ACC needed to ensure its future as a Power conference. If FSU and others what to show their muscle by demanding more money, they can; but the ACC will survive and benefit from our contributions and performance along with two other great universities.

Thank you, David Miller, Garry Weber, Bill Armstrong, Gerald Ford, Paul Loyd, etc., etc. for making this possible. A truly historical moment for SMU and its future.

Pony Up !
Last edited by Water Pony on Wed Sep 06, 2023 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pony Up
Water Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Reflections on The Week That Was

Postby Terry Webster » Mon Sep 04, 2023 4:07 pm

As much as Turner and Hart are criticized, they both worked their butts off where the ACC was concerned.
Terry Webster
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby jkflamebo » Mon Sep 04, 2023 4:49 pm

Terry Webster wrote:As much as Turner and Hart are criticized, they both worked their butts off where the ACC was concerned.

Here, here ! Could not agree more...

These two and many others like David Miller epitomize doing 'whatever it takes' to get us to the next level. Proud of our group's accomplishment and cannot wait to see what this brings us.

Hope alignment relaxes but understand some big boys might want to leave in the near future. I'd like to think some new Big 12 additions may look eastward for a new home that aligns better with academics to help boost the future ACC deal. Wishful thinking I'm sure.
jkflamebo
Hall of Famer

Postby BUS » Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:29 pm

First THANK YOU David Miller. (And other BMD's) Two years ago, he started the subcommittee to get us into a pier conference. Thank you for the drive and passion.
Yes, Truner and Hart did their parts and supported with focus.

Who did SMU hire to totally RE-vamp Gameday. The parking voucher is now one per season and made of plastic. I knew something had changed. Then we got the email stating the changes at Ford. OMG, the letter gave examples but with delight I found the letter under sold the changes made to the concourse. The food was diverse and tasty. I got three egg rolls for 6 dollars, and they were good. My wife got a few beers in world record time. Having the cool zones may have saved some lives and then there was the free water and water filling stations. Number one RAVE point from my wife was the addition of the split unit A/C in the restrooms. Somebody gets the TEXAS heat.

For years we have asked for change and upgrades, and now we have them. Thanks to the new hire that hit the ball out of the park for gameday. I have been negative on this board, but when things changed, I had to give some love when the job was done so well.

When the construction is complete, and the new scoreboard and PA system are in.... WE are going to be shining like a star. Big and bright - Like Dallas.

Thank you to the new hire!!!!
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby PerunaPunch » Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:57 pm

jkflamebo wrote:Hope alignment relaxes but understand some big boys might want to leave in the near future.
Are you referring to Duke? :lol:
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby BUS » Tue Sep 05, 2023 2:00 pm

Like - Duke.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby HarvCrimYaleBlue » Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:48 am

HarvCrimYaleBlue
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:14 am

Love it. There's no question our big money donors are motivated. Now we need all of the bandwagon alumni to return and for Dallas area fans of college athletics to also jump on board. We've seen it happen in Moody. Hopefully Ford & Moody will become tough tickets in the not too distant future.
Charleston Pony

Postby Hop Sing » Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:25 am

That’s a must read for all long suffering Mustangs. Tells the story perfectly, and should give us all hope and confidence that our many years of insignificance are over. It’s time for all of the Mustangs that have been sitting on the sidelines not attending games, to rise up and and get in the game!
Hop Sing
Varsity

Postby Water Pony » Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:54 am

Project Phoenix.

No one should be surprised when SMU continues to invest in our sports programs, facilities, recruiting, and academics. Our leadership and benefactors will not be satisfied or stop at simply gaining an ACC invitation. We will emerge as a very competitive, national brand and success story.

This changes everything!
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby AusTxPony » Wed Sep 06, 2023 11:20 am

"Have held our breath so long, the reality is still sinking in." That one line from Waterpony sums up my feelings upon reading the great ACC news. I had looked for every "sign" in my superstitious mind to say we would be selected. When it came, I was filled not with Joy, but with a Numbness. The Joy is coming slowly. Thanks to all those who made this happen. The future is Bright! What a turnaround from just a few weeks ago.
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Return to Football