PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Oregon State, Washington State file complaint against Pac-12

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Oregon State, Washington State file complaint against Pac-12

Postby Water Pony » Fri Sep 08, 2023 3:15 pm

ESPN Article by Pete Thamel

Fascinating action by OSU and WSU. I can't blame them.

"Oregon State and Washington State filed a legal complaint against the Pac-12 and commissioner George Kliavkoff on Friday seeking an emergency temporary restraining order to protect what the schools see as an "imminent and existential threat" to the future of the conference."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/compani ... 66e4&ei=14
Pony Up
Water Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Oregon State, Washington State file complaint against Pa

Postby Topper » Fri Sep 08, 2023 3:23 pm

With all of the high powered lawyers involved with these schools one would assume that somewhere along the way the charter and bylaws would have been artfully worded to govern the dissolution of the conference and its assets and the rights of the members up to the date of their formal departures.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby bubba pony » Fri Sep 08, 2023 4:39 pm

I'm going to dumb this down for myself.
WSU and OSU are the only PAC 12 teams with voting power and vote they get all the below:
keep current $42 million assets. $117 - $77 million Pac 12 network = $40 million
$50 million to Pac 12 remaining members from men’s NCAA payments over 6 years.
Hence 42 + 40 + 50 = 132 million all for these two remaining PAC 12 members.

They invite the entire Mountain West Conference to join PAC-12, who of course accept. All PAC 12 naming rights remain with the rebuild conference.
Mountain West does not get any of the 132 million but can keep their meager amount earned as Mountain West members.

Perhaps the new PAC 12 will not be eligible for the College Football Playoffs, or maybe they will.
WOW
bubba pony
Heisman

Postby Dukie » Fri Sep 08, 2023 5:14 pm

bubba pony wrote:I'm going to dumb this down for myself.
WSU and OSU are the only PAC 12 teams with voting power and vote they get all the below:
keep current $42 million assets. $117 - $77 million Pac 12 network = $40 million

They invite the entire Mountain West Conference to join PAC-12, who of course accept. All PAC 12 naming rights remain with the rebuild conference.
Mountain West does not get any of the 132 million but can keep their meager amount earned as Mountain West members.

Perhaps the new PAC 12 will not be eligible for the College Football Playoffs, or maybe they will.
WOW

I’m not sure that total of ~$66M/school for the two of them even exceeds a per-school year in the SEC or B1G (remember we normally talk about the TV contracts, not all payments including NCAA MBB credits). I’m also not remotely sure they can liquidate and monetize the PAC 12 Network. But I hope they get it all, whatever the total actually is.
Last edited by Dukie on Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby birddogger » Fri Sep 08, 2023 6:50 pm

A reverse merger was predictable. But I like the extra. Good for Wazzu and the Beavers
birddogger
All-American

Postby novasmu » Fri Sep 08, 2023 7:52 pm

I think that Oregon State and Washington State could do better a MWC merger. Invite the most desirable from MWC, American and independents to form a new conference of the best brands of the rest. Not perfect, but arguably better than an MWC +2.

Washington State
Oregon State
Boise State
San Diego State
Air Force
Navy
Army
Rice
Tulane
Temple
"We will win championships on the Hilltop" - Rick Hart - September 8, 2014
novasmu
Scout Team

Postby Dukie » Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:35 pm

novasmu wrote:I think that Oregon State and Washington State could do better a MWC merger. Invite the most desirable from MWC, American and independents to form a new conference of the best brands of the rest. Not perfect, but arguably better than an MWC +2.

Washington State
Oregon State
Boise State
San Diego State
Air Force
Navy
Army
Rice
Tulane
Temple

Not 10, 14:

USF
ECU
Memphis
Colorado State
Dukie
Heisman

Postby PonyKris89 » Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:53 pm

good move OSU WSU, I hope they get every $$ and more coming their way
Beat the hell out of anybody!
PonyKris89
Heisman

Postby PNW_Stang » Sat Sep 09, 2023 9:02 am

novasmu wrote:I think that Oregon State and Washington State could do better a MWC merger. Invite the most desirable from MWC, American and independents to form a new conference of the best brands of the rest. Not perfect, but arguably better than an MWC +2.

Washington State
Oregon State
Boise State
San Diego State
Air Force
Navy
Army
Rice
Tulane
Temple

Better than the Big 12
PNW_Stang
Varsity

Postby Graceland Tar Heel » Sat Sep 09, 2023 11:35 am

bubba pony wrote:I'm going to dumb this down for myself.

WOW

I agree that Wazzou and Oregon St should get all the Pac has. I'm not sure that taking all 12 of the MWC football members would be best. I probably would prefer to get onto TX, with UTEP and UTSA, maybe even Texas ST and/or UNT. For league recruiting, having members in both CA and TX would be best.
Graceland Tar Heel
Junior Varsity

Return to Football