PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Thoughts on the OU game

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Thoughts on the OU game

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Sep 11, 2023 2:44 pm

Officiating is clearly not easy! Lots of really close calls and having replay available makes that clear.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Pony ^ » Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:10 pm

OU is definitely not a top 10 team and we will see why very very soon. Most likely on October 7th in the Cotton Bowl. With that being said, the ponies have a huge future ahead. It's VERY clear the talent is increasing by a big margin. Exciting times on the hilltop soon and honestly I fully expect a sizeable win in Fort Worth
Pony ^

Postby EastStang » Mon Sep 11, 2023 4:28 pm

Their defense may be Top 10. They seemed to be everywhere we were and stuffed the run over and over and over. We'll see this week how good our offense can be. We need the line to improve zone blocking schemes, wideouts to step up and Stone to find his mojo.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby BUS » Mon Sep 11, 2023 4:45 pm

Stone needs to look at ALL his targets not just one side of the field.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:33 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:I seem to recall when Rooster left Miami for SMU a lot of Miami people talked about his tendency to fumble.

"Knighton fumbled six times in 2022 with three being recovered by Miami opponents. Knighton was benched against Virginia due to fumbles versus Duke."
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby birddogger » Mon Sep 11, 2023 6:28 pm

I came away from this game thinking that we should have done better, but not that we were outmanned or didn't belong. Of course, that may be the half martini glass full p.o.v., but I am optimistic for the remainder of the season as long as we improve.

It's a good time to be a Mustang...
birddogger
All-American

Postby Topper » Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:17 pm

I look at our guys and it is clear that we matched up in size and speed with OU. There are some really good athletes on this team and we also have depth like I haven't seen since the 80s. We belonged on the field with OU. I don't know how many games we will win this year but I'm really optimistic about where we are and where we are going. I haven't felt better about a loss in a long time.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby JasonB » Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:47 pm

Pony ^ wrote:OU is definitely not a top 10 team and we will see why very very soon. Most likely on October 7th in the Cotton Bowl. With that being said, the ponies have a huge future ahead. It's VERY clear the talent is increasing by a big margin. Exciting times on the hilltop soon and honestly I fully expect a sizeable win in Fort Worth

I'm interested to see how their season turns out. Venables has really turned the defense around quickly. Offensively, I think they are missing the stud RB, but they have a solid line, a good QB, and they have some really nice weapons at WR. UT and OU are clearly the class of the Big12 right now. Kansas has looked good, but they don't really have the same level of defense as those two.

They will be favored in every game outside of the Texas game, and I can easily see them finishing the year 11-1, which would firmly put them in the top 10.
JasonB

Postby ponyte » Tue Sep 12, 2023 11:34 am

In 1978, SMU beat Florida , lost to Pedophile State on a late 4th quarter drive, and tied Woody Hayes' OSU by missing the last play of the game FG. All on the road. SMU proved it could play with anyone in the country

That is exactly how I felt about this SMU team against OU. We can play with anyone in the country. Might not win but sure can play with he Big Boys. Stay healthy and this could be a Hades of a season.
ponyte

Postby EastStang » Tue Sep 12, 2023 1:28 pm

This is the deepest and most talented roster we've had since the death penalty. I can't remember another roster this good since the DP. I hope we are back to standing toe to toe with the big boys week in and week out.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Topper » Tue Sep 12, 2023 2:46 pm

ponyte wrote:In 1978, SMU beat Florida , lost to Pedophile State on a late 4th quarter drive, and tied Woody Hayes' OSU by missing the last play of the game FG. All on the road. SMU proved it could play with anyone in the country

That is exactly how I felt about this SMU team against OU. We can play with anyone in the country. Might not win but sure can play with he Big Boys. Stay healthy and this could be a Hades of a season.

Some thought that the field goal against Ohio State was good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmO78hYnifw
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby Mustangs_Maroons » Wed Sep 13, 2023 12:51 pm

I wish SMU had given Preston many more reps in previous seasons, because you can tell he lacks that in-game experience. The OU game was a lot for him. I hope he settles in and he's able to perform as he's capable of and from what I understand the level he performs at during practice.

QBs will make or break your season. For instance, USC would not be a playoff contender without their QB; their defense is atrocious. You see the change in ND with the experienced, solid QB they now have. Alabama is a very different team without the QBs they used to have (wow, I mean Hurts couldn't cut it on their team at one point). Ewers with a year under his belt looks to be much improved. You look at even TCU, they don't lose that close game against Colorado with their QB from last year. OSU and Georgia to me are TBD with their new QB situations. They both have elite players across the field, but I'm not sure how their QBs will deliver in those games with elite competition (OSU at least faces some during the season, I think Georgia has a pretty easy schedule until the tail end of their season).

Experienced QBs will be in high demand during the transfer seasons, and those teams with strong teams and NIL programs will be there to swoop in.
Mustangs_Maroons
Heisman

Previous

Return to Football