PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

LET THE BANDS PLAY

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

LET THE BANDS PLAY

Postby SmooBoy » Sat Sep 16, 2023 8:38 pm

You have 19 bands in attendance including one of the most unique in the country with PVA&M and you play garbage prerecorded music over the PA. Read the freaking room.
SmooBoy
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: LET THE BANDS PLAY

Postby BUS » Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:35 am

The bands were fantastic last Saturday. Then our little band come out to play and you can't even hear them. The upgrades to the stadium, food, water stations and A/C in restrooms are all great.

Now can we help out the band. In 1983 a member of the band got a 2000-dollar scholarship. TODAY, a band member gets a 2000 scholarship.

It would be nice to get back to 99 guys and a doll; Catch phrase I remember from the 60's.

What would really be better is to have a 200-member band.

I don't have the money to do this, and I don't even know who manages the band, budget etc.

Again, the other bands were great, and I would like for SMU to have better.

God's Peace
G
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby CA Mustang » Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:40 am

BUS wrote:The bands were fantastic last Saturday. Then our little band come out to play and you can't even hear them. The upgrades to the stadium, food, water stations and A/C in restrooms are all great.

Now can we help out the band. In 1983 a member of the band got a 2000-dollar scholarship. TODAY, a band member gets a 2000 scholarship.

It would be nice to get back to 99 guys and a doll; Catch phrase I remember from the 60's.

What would really be better is to have a 200-member band.

I don't have the money to do this, and I don't even know who manages the band, budget etc.

Again, the other bands were great, and I would like for SMU to have better.

God's Peace
G

https://www.diamondm.club/
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby SmooBoy » Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:44 am

It was 96 guys and a doll.

I was in MBand in the 80s and 90s. Scholarships were higher back then than now.

The new director has a plan to recruit from Dallas schools and beyond, and is already increasing the size. 30+ new freshmen this year is a great start. The best way to bring numbers and talent to the Hilltop is giving to the Diamond M Club. The Hub of SMU Spirit deserves it.
SmooBoy

Postby BUS » Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:02 am

I was remembering from when I was like 6. Thank you for the correction. 96 guys and a doll!!!
BUS

Postby malonish » Mon Sep 18, 2023 6:24 pm

BUS wrote: Then our little band come out to play and you can't even hear them.

G

Big disagree. Heard them fine from the visitor's side.

Per member Loudness Density (LD) is higher than most bands but not much money flowing in to give more folks incentive to join and get Total Volume of Volume (TVV). My scholarship didn't even cover the cost of the credit hour for the year. I basically paid to be in the band and was fortunate to be able to do so. Because of that it becomes mostly hobby-only members and while our good folks were good, you also had folks like me (I always considered myself the least talented in the room). What's the quote about I wouldn't want to be in a club that would have me as a member? :mrgreen: Just kidding. It was great and the fact that they got out of little out me such loud sound then imagine if there were way more of those with 10x my skills.

Spread the word and donate :D
https://www.diamondm.club/
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PlanoStang » Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:46 am

I think the all male band got canned around 1975 when I was a student.
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby BUS » Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:59 am

My thought was to have SMU prioritize the band and increase the scholarship to say 10K. With the 100 million in just a week, don't you think some could be spent on a larger band.
BUS

Postby malonish » Wed Sep 20, 2023 2:24 pm

10K would have been nice. I myself got 2K first year then 2.5K going forward. For the least talented player, not bad! I got more out of it than just cash so I consider it a net positive. If part of that 100mil did go to band folks then it would make it more tolerable for the time commitment it takes.
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby TwoTimeGrad » Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:27 am

SmooBoy wrote:You have 19 bands in attendance including one of the most unique in the country with PVA&M and you play garbage prerecorded music over the PA. Read the freaking room.

They played over the SMU band last weekend. Not helping.
TwoTimeGrad
Scout Team

Postby Bergermeister » Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:18 am

Irving Dreibrodt developed a unique, entertaining concept that made the Mustang Band a top notch attraction. The spirit and showmanship started by Coach was unparalleled. With the changing conference landscape, this concept has run its course. There is mighty tradition that goes with this organization that goes back to Cy Barcus who accepted the challenge of essentially creating a Mustang Band. I think the band is at a point where dramatic change is needed... one that will be greeted with the enthusiasm and admiration the Mustang Band deserves. I think former directors and Mustang bandsmen would all realize that this is the time of great opportunity to again blaze a trail. A complete, well-orchestrated overhaul would add to the excitement of our move. The University can up its game by appropriating substantial funds to make a drastic transformation.
Bergermeister

Postby TidePony » Mon Oct 02, 2023 11:28 am

This ^^^
TidePony
Hall of Famer

Postby mtrout » Mon Oct 02, 2023 11:28 am

Are we still playing songs from the 1920s every game?
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby EastStang » Mon Oct 02, 2023 2:19 pm

I saw a video of the Aggies halftime show last week. They played the same songs that I heard them play in the '70s. The Ballad of the Green Beret. That was a hit in the 60's which I guess is an improvement over "When Johnny Comes Marching Home". Everything evolves and we should consider changing our music sets to some more contemporary music that our kids would enjoy playing.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby PlanoStang » Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:46 pm

Bergermeister wrote:Irving Dreibrodt developed a unique, entertaining concept that made the Mustang Band a top notch attraction. The spirit and showmanship started by Coach was unparalleled. With the changing conference landscape, this concept has run its course. There is mighty tradition that goes with this organization that goes back to Cy Barcus who accepted the challenge of essentially creating a Mustang Band. I think the band is at a point where dramatic change is needed... one that will be greeted with the enthusiasm and admiration the Mustang Band deserves. I think former :!: :!: directors and Mustang bandsmen would all realize that this is the time of great opportunity to again blaze a trail. A complete, well-orchestrated overhaul would add to the excitement of our move. The University can up its game by appropriating substantial funds to make a drastic transformation.

What :!: You want to go to a military band or something. Mustang Band is a jazz band playing hits from all years starting in the 40s. It’s TRADITION that most fans love :!:
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Next

Return to Football