PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Unis

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Unis

Postby Topper » Sun Sep 17, 2023 11:19 am

The team's performance spoke for itself, so I'm discussing jerseys. The home Dallas unis are my favorites among the current wardrobe. I like the numbers on the jersey shoulders and the absence of stripes on the solid blue. For years I tried to think of ways to incorporate Dallas into the game attire. The tripe D helmets are perfect although from the stands I wish that the red pony was a bit more visible.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Re: Unis

Postby Paladin » Sun Sep 17, 2023 12:18 pm

I personally feel the uniforms this year: home, Dallas, and away, have all hit the "sweet spot" but of course no way to please everyone.
Paladin
All-American

Postby BIGHORSE » Sun Sep 17, 2023 2:29 pm

I like all our uniform combos except the black, but I would prefer the regular

Mustang on our helmets with our Dallas uniforms.
BIGHORSE
Hall of Famer

Postby PonyKris89 » Sun Sep 17, 2023 11:41 pm

If they are gonna continue the triple D helmet, please make the Mustang larger. But I am not a fan of the triple D. And SMU make an appearance somewhere. I do love the solid Blue Jersey with no stripes.
Beat the hell out of anybody!
PonyKris89
Heisman

Postby PlanoStang » Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:40 am

They need some red helmets with white running pony decals to throw in the mix with the blue jerseys. The radio guys said they were a nice look when we used a version of this about 10 years ago. Hayden Fry thought so too.
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby EastStang » Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:06 am

Back in the day, the red pony helmets looked like Arkansas helmets which is why I never liked them. Then came Dave Smith who got rid of the pony altogether and made the helmets look like Ohio State Then came Ron Meyer who brought us the white helmet with the red pony which has been our base look ever since and is classic.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PlanoStang » Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:54 am

Our red helmets have been around since at least the 40s when Arkansas had white, and are brighter red than Arkansas.
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Topper » Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:05 am

I hated the Dave Smith unis at first but I got used to them. Hayden Fry liked grey pants which were kind of a trend at the time. Mostly I like jerseys without a bunch of small alternating stripes on the sleeves.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby HubbaHubba » Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:09 am

Helmet History;

https://swchelmets.tripod.com/smu.html

What are we wearing to play the slimy toads?
HubbaHubba
All-American

Postby Graceland Tar Heel » Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:19 am

If I were to provide basic design for your uniforms, I'd have a standard red helmet, with a blue Mustang on each side outlined in white. I'd probably also want a blue strip down the middle outlined in very thin white. Blue jerseys for Home, with red numbers outlined in white and SMU above the numbers, also in red outlined in white. When wearing white jerseys, I'd usually prefer blue pants with white-red-white stripes going down the legs.
Graceland Tar Heel
Junior Varsity

Postby Bergermeister » Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:51 pm

Graceland Tar Heel wrote:If I were to provide basic design for your uniforms, I'd have a standard red helmet, with a blue Mustang on each side outlined in white. I'd probably also want a blue strip down the middle outlined in very thin white. Blue jerseys for Home, with red numbers outlined in white and SMU above the numbers, also in red outlined in white. When wearing white jerseys, I'd usually prefer blue pants with white-red-white stripes going down the legs.

Step away from the keg.
Bergermeister

Postby Hoss » Wed Sep 20, 2023 4:12 pm

PlanoStang wrote:They need some red helmets with white running pony decals to throw in the mix with the blue jerseys. The radio guys said they were a nice look when we used a version of this about 10 years ago. Hayden Fry thought so too.

Ugh ... please — no. The white helmet with the Mustang on the sides is the best helmet in the country.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Hoss
All-American

Postby Bergermeister » Wed Sep 20, 2023 4:37 pm

We’ve got the best uniforms in the country. We just don’t wear them all the time. People know the Pony Express - wear it full time. Cut out the clown looking costumes. Time to grow up.
Bergermeister

Postby SMU Pom Mom » Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:01 pm

Topper wrote:Mostly I like jerseys without a bunch of small alternating stripes on the sleeves.

Gasp, blasphemy!
SMU Pom Mom
All-American

Return to Football