PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Past Glory

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Past Glory

Postby Topper » Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:13 am

This popped up on my Youtube feed. Features the great Fred Benners. Disregard the political incorrectness of some of our fans. This was pre civil rights era when the battle flag was associated with our teams when we travelled north because we are "Southern" Methodist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGm4Oqq6LbM
Topper
Hall of Famer

Re: Past Glory

Postby redpony » Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:52 am

Topper- IIRC that game was sept. 30,1950. I was there with my parents and some OSU alums. It was my dad birthday and I had saved money to get the tickets.
Fantastic comeback in the second half. Doak came down from Detroit and I met him at the SMU locker rooms. He took me in and I got autographs of most of the players. Still have that program.

A memory I shall never forget.
redpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Past Glory

Postby Topper » Tue Sep 19, 2023 12:05 pm

redpony wrote:Topper- IIRC that game was sept. 30,1950. I was there with my parents and some OSU alums. It was my dad birthday and I had saved money to get the tickets.
Fantastic comeback in the second half. Doak came down from Detroit and I met him at the SMU locker rooms. He took me in and I got autographs of most of the players. Still have that program.

A memory I shall never forget.

In the early 80s an SMU professor told me about this game at OSU and how the whole state of Ohio still remembered the aerial display put on by the Mustangs on that day. It must have been a great atmosphere in that locker room after the game. And to share it with Doak Walker no less!
Topper
Hall of Famer

Return to Football