PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Revisiting the Ponies--1969

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Revisiting the Ponies--1969

Postby Sixties SWC Fan » Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:40 pm

I mentioned this in my "hello" thread, but will again say this seems to be the best place to talk "old school" Mustangs' football.

I've always been puzzled by what happened in the last year of the Sixties. SMU had come off a tremendous season, losing only to Ohio State (national champs), Texas (Cotton Bowl champs, #3 in the nation), and Arkansas (SWC co-champs and #6 in the nation), all on the road, while beating everyone else, including winning a thrilling Bluebonnet Bowl over Steve Owens (Heisman winner in '69) and Oklahoma, coached by Chuck Fairbanks.

True, Jerry LeVias graduated, which was a huge hit. But you had a wonderful cast returning, including record-setting soph Chuck Hixson at QB. The Ponies were a runaway choice to finish third, behind Texas and Arkansas in '69. The fact those two teams would be coming to Dallas probably added to the expectations and excitement.

Other returning starters besides Hixson included four offensive linemen (Bill Jackson perhaps the best), stud TE Ken Fleming, "mighty mite" FB Daryl Doggett (solid as hell 5-6, 181), and FL Sam Holden. Like noted, LeVias' absence would have to be felt, but the new guy was none other than another stud in waiting, Gary Hammond.

Defensively, no less than six of the front seven came back for '69, including Rufus Cormier, Joe Stutts, and Bruce Portillo. To top it off, both starting cornerbacks, Larry Tunnell and Mike Nekuza, were back on The Hilltop.

Two things I then remember most about the season for SMU: several very narrow early defeats that could have probably gone in the Ponies' favor and made the fall entirely different. I recall watching the NCAA season opener, SMU vs Air Force, with my Dad. The Falcons jumped way out in front, I believe, but SMU, with Hixson's assaults, came back and almost won, falling just short, 26-22.

I also recall--you won't like this--the game vs Texas in the Cotton Bowl. That was my first fb game to attend, and all four Longhorn starting backs in the Wishbone ran for over 100 yards. SMU kept it close the first half before Texas pulled away. Afterwards, Hayden Fry proclaimed Texas "the greatest college team I've ever seen and probably ever will."

At any rate, I do recall pulling for the Ponies against everyone that year but Texas. I just remember the disappointment I felt in those close games. I'm sure those of you who remember felt it a lot more than I did even.
Sixties SWC Fan
Recruit

Postby CoxSMU » Fri Mar 19, 2004 12:36 am

Welcome to the board, glad to have you here. Unfortunately I wasn't around in the 60's and I missed all of that. But I would have taken the "troubles" of '69 over last years fiasco any day of the week.
Geaux Ponies and Geaux LSU!
CoxSMU
Junior Varsity

Postby Sixties SWC Fan » Sat Mar 20, 2004 10:28 am

thanks for the welcome, Cox.
As far as '69 vs 2003, I guess it's a matter of perspective. I personally thought Bennett's a good hire initially, but hopefully it was just one of those years where everything went wrong and he'll straighten it out. Fry had a tough task too, though he had some true success.
Sixties SWC Fan
Recruit

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Mar 20, 2004 11:35 am

Hayden Fry's time at SMU was like a roller coaster ride. We enjoyed some very good years followed by some very disappointing years. We just never could keep it going consistently, but I guess that had something to do with the level of competition. Right now, those 7-4 seasons as a member of the SWC look pretty good in my memory.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Cheesesteak » Sat Mar 20, 2004 11:54 am

Sixties SWC Fan -

I'm enjoying the walk down memory lane that you started. Win or lose, I wish the Mustangs still faced the Aggies, Razorbacks and Longhorns on the gridiron every year.
Cheesesteak
All-American

Postby Diehard Pony » Sat Mar 20, 2004 1:17 pm

An addendum to the SMU-Air Force opener in '69.

First it was on national TV, a big deal in those days since there was no ESPN.

We were pre-season ranked #15 in the country and Sports Illustrated's article about SMU included the famous quote about Chuck Hixon "running like a pregnant cow". The ranking came as a result of our terrific year in '68

Air Force lead at the half 23-0.

The final play of the game was a fourth and goal, and Hixson was sacked looking for an open receiver.

Final score Air Force 26 - SMU 23

Attendance: 44,300

Lots of close losses that season:

L Home Air Force 26 - SMU 23 Atten: 44,300
L Away Georgia Tech 24 - SMU 21 Atten: 42,624
L Away Michigan State 23 - SMU 15 Atten: 72,189
W Home SMU 19 - TCU 17 Atten: 31,575
W Away SMU 34 - Rice 14 Atten: 30,000
L Home Texas Tech 27 - SMU 24 Atten: 27,465
L Home Texas 45 - SMU 14 Atten: 55,287
L Away Texas A&M 20 - SMU 10 Atten: 33,220 can you believe this #
L Home Arkansas 28 - SMU 15 Atten: 35,673
W Home SMU 12 - Baylor 6 Atten: 21, 645

Final record 3-7
Avg home attendance: 35,990
Diehard Pony
All-American

Postby H-E-B Mustang » Sat Mar 20, 2004 2:03 pm

I was a student during the late sixties and attended as many games as I could. The Ponies always seemed to have good, solid first-string players, but lacked depth. I don't remember exactly what injuries there were, but especially late in any season our lack of depth really hurt us. If I recall correctly, Daryl Doggett was a tough guy, but had a bad back. He didn't practice during the week with the team, just ran laps to keep up his leg strength and endurance.

I think I remember the opening play of the Georgia Tech game as being like a 70-yard bomb from Hixson to Hammond.
H-E-B Mustang
All-American

Postby Sixties SWC Fan » Sat Mar 20, 2004 5:57 pm

well I'm really happy to see all the replies. I had begun to think I was venturing on turf that no one was interested in discussing. Seeing as how, due to the enjoyment of that era, I'm trying to develop a book, that was a bummer--but happy now some of you enjoy discussing it. :D

Diehard--great recollection, and better than mine even! I just remember watching and being disappointed at the beginning but hanging on with hope the Ponies would come back, and they almost pulled it off. I liken that to the '68 Arkansas game where the Hogs had a 35-0 lead but Hixson fell just short, amazingly only losing 35-29. That would have been the biggest comeback, I believe, at the pro or college level, anytime.

I think the fact SMU was in Dallas and I liked some of those players is what got me to pulling so much for them. The Ga Tech game that followed was about as disappointing.

HEB Mustang; I pulled out an old SWC 1969 book that recapped the whole season. Per the story, you're pretty damn close. The first place was a Hixson to Bicky Lesser pass for 14 to the 48, followed immediately by a 52-yard td bomb from Hixson to Hammond. Not a bad replacement for the great LeVias.
Stats: First Downs: SMU 23-GaTech 16, Total Yards: SMU 330-GaTech 240. Turnovers: SMU 3-GaTech 5. Somehow, though, the score was 24-21, Tech.
I read where Hixson was picked off with 6:47 left, and Tech took over at the SMU 49 before moving in for the winning score. During the game, though, Hixson broke Don Meredith's career record of 25 TD passes, with many more to come (Chuck was only a junior in his second game of the year!)

Thanks to others of you for joining in!
Sixties SWC Fan
Recruit

Postby Stallion » Sat Mar 20, 2004 6:44 pm

the SMU-Texas Tech game that year was a thriller. The most memorable play was a late 4th Q Hixson medicine ball thrown over the middle to Gary Hammond who fearlessly went for the ball as two Tech DB's unloaded on him from both sides knocking Hammond out on Cotton Bowl turf for what must have been 15 minutes. Tech went on to win 27-24. Yep lot of tough losses to teams we dream of competing with today. I think that Air Force team went about 9-2 that year too.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Sixties SWC Fan » Sat Mar 20, 2004 7:32 pm

yeah, I remember that one now! That was a great game, in the Cotton Bowl, I believe, and I know on TV (watched that one with my dad too). Typical of SMU games that season--down to the wire, anyone's ballgame, but somehow the Ponies fall short.
Sixties SWC Fan
Recruit

I saw UT vs. SMU in 1969

Postby Sam I Am » Sat Mar 20, 2004 8:04 pm

Texas won the national championsip in 1969 with their fabled wishbone. Their game against SMU was record setting. In the 60's the ponies pointed for the Horns every year, but DKR had our number. As for Hayden Fry, he could prepare for one game with the very best of them; but rarely for a whole season. Hence, he had 4 out of 12 winning seasons while at SMU. When he finally got to Iowa, he did prove that being coach of a state school that is THE unversity in its locale does help in recruiting and winning. We may never have even the level of succes we enjoyed in the 60's. At least we were in the BIG time back then. This mid-level status sucks.
Sam I Am
Sam I Am
Hall of Famer

Postby Sixties SWC Fan » Mon Mar 22, 2004 7:07 pm

thanks for the reply, Sam. I think Hayden was indeed a very good coach, and he was one of only two (Gene Stallings the other) to break thru the Sixties dominance of UT and Arkansas.

As far as nowadays, I do believe SMU, with the right leadership and emphasis, can still have a potent football team. After all, it's in the heart of Dallas, Tx!
Sixties SWC Fan
Recruit

Return to Football