PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Thoughts on the TCU game

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Thoughts on the TCU game

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Sep 24, 2023 5:25 pm

redpony wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:While it was disappointing to see that we don't yet have the kind of roster to compete with the "upper half" of P5 teams,

I doubt if tcwho is in the upper half of the P5 teams like Ohio ST, Michigan, Georgia, ND.etc.
If some of our boosters are happy second level teams in the aac then we should not have moved up.

Just curious...how much are you contributing the the collective? We peons need to do what little we can to support the small number of wealthy donors who are carrying this program but you seem to think they aren't doing enough
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mtrout » Sun Sep 24, 2023 5:58 pm

Donors are doing more than enough. They shouldn't have to donate a billion dollars over 20 years to win a mid major conference title once.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby redpony » Sun Sep 24, 2023 6:03 pm

CP- I think you fail to understand my comments. IF I were one of those who committed to millions of dollars and saw our performance yesterday I would be thoroughly p--sed. You may not agree but my opinion of the game is that we were not prepared, had poor coaching decisions, poor QB play and virtually non-existent pass D. This is not the quality of team that will match up with Fla. St., Clemson and Ga.

I always agreed with Vince Lombardi's philosophy (if you are old enough to know who he is)- 'losing is an admission of failure.
redpony

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Sep 24, 2023 6:33 pm

redpony wrote:CP- I think you fail to understand my comments. IF I were one of those who committed to millions of dollars and saw our performance yesterday I would be thoroughly p--sed. You may not agree but my opinion of the game is that we were not prepared, had poor coaching decisions, poor QB play and virtually non-existent pass D. This is not the quality of team that will match up with Fla. St., Clemson and Ga.

I always agreed with Vince Lombardi's philosophy (if you are old enough to know who he is)- 'losing is an admission of failure.

1st of all, I'm plenty old enough to know Lombardi as I grew up in Dallas and was there when the Cowboys franchise began. I've stated on here several times that I was a neighbor of both Tom Landry and Hayden Fry so I'm long in the tooth (SMU grad 1974). If you didn't follow SMU to know the history Ponyte just shared...you don't rebuild a down and out program overnight and this ACC invite is probably the equivalent of SMU's hiring of Ron Meyer (timeline wise...not suggesting Lashlee will be as successful a coach as Meyer was). Meyer took his early SMU team on a tour of Florida, Pennsylvania and Ohio...3 well regarded H.S. football states to supplement his Texas recruiting and that was a genius strategy in roster building.

Going head to head with the big boys, SMU's wealthy boosters helped the salesman Ron Meyer build a national championship contender in the Pony Express era. It remains to be seen whether it can be done again now that EVERYONE can pay for players out in the open. We cheated better than most back in the day but can we compete against the goliaths of college football who can raise every bit as much and more via their collectives? Bottom line is that nobody should expect a championship any time soon, although it sure would be nice to get one in our final season at the G5 level.
Charleston Pony

Postby redpony » Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:31 pm

CP- with all respect and I appreciate your updates on golf as I usually am watching F1 or European futbol. I graduated more than a decade before you. My only association with the Cowboys was when I worked for IBM and I was on a team providing stats and recruiting analysis etc. to Landry and Brandt. Obviously we had numerous meetings with them. Have not watched the NFL for over 8 years- since players decided they did not need to respect our country, our flag and our national anthem.

I am well aware of the history of our problems. I was committed to a group who had a 'war chest' of over a million dollars to fight the NCAA prior to the death penalty and we were told to put our donation where the sun doesn't shine. Hence my love/hate attitude toward our university.

I just am not a person who accepts poor performance and losing.

Peace and enjoy your next round under par.
redpony

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:01 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:Might be that they were playing (at least in the OU and TCU games) against even higher rated players

Yep
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby malonish » Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:38 pm

redpony wrote: since players decided they did not need to respect our country, our flag and our national anthem.

:roll:
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMULaxer » Mon Sep 25, 2023 11:17 am

redpony wrote:MM- 100% correct. Not sure RL is the coach to make us a top ACC team and Stone proved he sure is not the guy to do it.

This is way too hot a take for a guy making his fifth start. Preston is going to crush AAC competition and come out next year with the confidence to take on the ACC.
Pay Lashlee more money
SMULaxer
Heisman

Postby PerunaPunch » Mon Sep 25, 2023 12:47 pm

Yeah, it was something of a boot-to-the-nuts to be outplayed by Chandler Morris of all things. But let's not go into complete overreaction mode quite yet. The season start in earnest this Saturday. We need to use the remaining in-conference schedule to mature as a team, so that we'll (hopefully) get in and be competitive in a conference championship and bowl game. A decent bowl game will give us another chance to show that the Mustangs are ready for ACC.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby redpony » Mon Sep 25, 2023 3:45 pm

PerunaPunch wrote:Yeah, it was something of a boot-to-the-nuts to be outplayed by Chandler Morris of all things. .

yes, IIRC Max Duggan was the qb for TCU last year. IMO C. Morris does not have a lot more playing time than P. Stone. to add insult to injury losing to tcwho was by a scumbag coach and the son of a former, short time coach both who had been affiliated with SMU just didn't sit well.
redpony

Postby originaloverthehilltop1 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 7:24 pm

im confused. which way do we step off the ledge?
originaloverthehilltop1
Varsity

Postby PG Pony » Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:34 pm

First and foremost, you have to run the ball. If that read option get stuffed, you have to get creative....crossbucks, reverses, shuffle passes, draws, bootlegs sweeps, quick pitches. Throw the book at the defense and find something that works.
PG Pony
Scout Team

Postby Topper » Wed Sep 27, 2023 5:11 pm

As I read all of the comments about last Saturday's games it soaks in that the difference between SMU and TCU up to now is that we have not enjoyed the perks of conference affiliation that they have successfully worked to earn and we have recruited on different levels for years. That is changing and we are now in a P5/NIL world that will work greatly to our advantage. And oh yeah, we should all CELEBRATE the fact that that low class whiny baby that they call a coach left us for Fort Worth. He is a disgrace to any institution that he sets foot upon.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Previous

Return to Football