PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Bad Luck?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Bad Luck?

Postby numero_uno » Thu Sep 28, 2023 5:06 pm

numero_uno
Junior Varsity

Re: Bad Luck?

Postby Blvd_Stang » Thu Sep 28, 2023 5:22 pm

Even if Clemson and FL St leave. We're still in a significantly better football conference and amazing basketball conference.

I don't think the ACC disintegrates.
2009 Ponyfans Rookie of the Year
Blvd_Stang
Heisman

Postby Blvd_Stang » Thu Sep 28, 2023 5:25 pm

I just hope the powers that be built in protection for SMU if the ACC does take a huge blow.

It would suck if the 5 or 6 top teams did leave the ACC, and we were stuck getting zero media dollars in a conference full of teams at par with ourselves.
2009 Ponyfans Rookie of the Year
Blvd_Stang
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Sep 28, 2023 6:25 pm

Clemson, FSU and "on the outside looking in" even UNC are among the "elite" brands in college football (UNC brings the bball royalty argument to their brand) so I don't doubt for a minute those 3 are searching hard for a way out of the ACC or at least an opportunity to be paid at the same level as SEC and/or B1G teams. Can the "Super Conferences" that were discussed as far back as the 1990's be far off?
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Thu Sep 28, 2023 7:35 pm

"Clemson leaving is a massive sign that the Atlantic Coast Conference is heading in a similar direction as the Pac-12. They have a media rights deal until 2036 with ESPN, but the company has a clause in the deal that if the conference drops below 15 teams, it can be renegotiated"

Depressing read for sure. Thanks for ruining my night. If the ACC falls completely apart like the PAC did, we may have to crawl back to the American. Good God that would be embarrassing!
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby BUS » Thu Sep 28, 2023 7:51 pm

This does not make sense to dilute your schools chance to win a national championship. If the blue bloods end up at 8 and 4 or 6 and 6... how impressive is that. Texas, oklahoma, bama, a$m and clemson at 8 and 4... big whoop.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:00 pm

Good chance Clemson loses at Syracuse this weekend and they could very well have a 7-5 season but they will continue to have a huge fan following and will always be committed to competing at the highest level in football so they have a valuable brand. Same for FSU. The rest of the ACC, at least on the gridiron, not so much. Pretty comparable to the Big XII in my view
Charleston Pony

Postby BUS » Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:10 pm

I am talking about their records in a super conference. Does it make sense to have a suck record... half of them will.

How the migjtu fall.
BUS

Postby BUS » Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:10 pm

BUS wrote:I am talking about their records in a super conference. Does it make sense to have a suck record... half of them will.

How the mighty fall.
BUS

Postby Nedward » Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:34 pm

Please take several deep breaths. If there were outs on the GOR they would have been hit many times years ago. I envy the fees the lawyers of various schools and other outside interest spent analyzing this matter.

The ONLY thing I found concerning about any team leaving the ACC was that there were efforts to get VF capital to make it happen. But again that leads back to the previous point; there's not a way out of the GOR or they would have found it already. The fact that it's public knowledge that certain schools are looking for hundreds of millions of dollars to offset their costs of leaving says everything.

Fine. Move on. Better cut a deal with Fox or ESPN before then...they just spent a lot of money to placate the loudmouths.
Nedward
Junior Varsity

Postby stlpony » Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:11 pm

This looks nothing, nothing, nothing like the PAC12. IF any team departs the ACC, there will be a more than significant exit fee to leave. These fees alone will enable the ACC to backfill and remain competitive with the B12. The ACC teams are in the most populous areas of the country and it would have a bucket full of cash. When comparing this to the PAC12, zero teams had to pay the conference ANY exit fees as they are merely departing at the same time the media contract expires.

With all that said, it would be a major bummer to not get to enjoy some of the marquee brands coming through Dallas.
stlpony
Scout Team

Postby BUS » Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:11 pm

Thank you.
BUS

Postby Peruna94&07 » Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:24 pm

On Twitter aka X it appears Clemson has stated there is zero plans to leave

https://x.com/cjk5h_smu/status/1707466584044843187?s=46&t=i_GtPMgnDMTVgOLbWWDvzQ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GO Ponies!!!!
Peruna94&07
Varsity

Postby ROCKNEPONY » Thu Sep 28, 2023 10:11 pm

This feels like a media click bait story. The media is addicted to the traffic they get from realignment so they are keeping this HOT?

It's possible there's a strategy these schools are using to keep publicly injuring the conference in hopes it decides to stop the bad publicity by letting them go. If these schools had a real plan (and an invite somewhere) they wouldn't be talking about leaving. They'd announce their leave like UT &OU did.

I feel like the SEC has little incentive to elevate the Big10 to an equal footing by making college football a 2 conference affair. They benefit from all the little desperate conferences trying to hold things together and the illusion of college football as it was. The SEC is by far the most successful at winning, money generation, and fan support. The Big10 is a "has-been" conference trying to rise again. Sure they brought in 2 big brands, with USC and Oregon, but they continue to dilute their product. Fewer compelling matchups and fewer drivable games. The SEC has great matchups, drivable games and a rabid fan base in the best recruiting areas in the country. The Big10 is Burger King.

I can't see the ACC collapsing. The PAC was filled with large state schools with big alumni bases. They were good enough targets and ...well they had that unique PAC12 thing going on that impeded progress over the last decade or more.

The ACC with Wake, Pitt, Syracuse, Boston, NC-State, Georgia Tech, Louisville, Miami, SMU, Duke, CAL Stanford, Notre Dame Is a fantastic place to be!!!

There are solid adds to be made if needed: UCONN, West Virginia, UCF, USF, Cincinnati, Houston as well as Rice, Tulane. I personally would move to add more top ranked academic schools for an ivy league of the south. The Magnolia league. Vanderbilt, North Western, Perdue are all likely to get kicked out of the big state school thing that might happen.

Schools like tcwho, rapeU, tx-tech, Iowa State, Kansas State don't have big enough followings, student bodies or history to make a 2-conference big boy league. For all the hate the first 3 give give off, you'd think they were UT looking down from their hilltop house. They're little boy schools to the ESPN''s and Apple.
ROCKNEPONY
Scout Team

Postby ClassOf81 » Thu Sep 28, 2023 11:55 pm

Peruna94&07 wrote:On Twitter aka X it appears Clemson has stated there is zero plans to leave

https://x.com/cjk5h_smu/status/1707466584044843187?s=46&t=i_GtPMgnDMTVgOLbWWDvzQ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not to be contrarian, but maybe ... just maybe ... Clemson is lying until it figures out a way to get out?
ClassOf81
Heisman

Next

Return to Football