PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

W2W4 - Charlotte

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

W2W4 - Charlotte

Postby JasonB » Fri Sep 29, 2023 3:26 pm

Now the real season starts. It's time to get serious about running the table, and game 1 is Charlotte this weekend.

Charlotte is just beginning their rebuild under their new head coach, whose relationships and background allowed him to pull in a fantastic transfer haul this offseason. The transfer class brought in a lot of players who were highly regarded in HS, and almost all of them are on the defensive side of the ball.

- When we are on offense, their defense is pretty solid. They only gave up 23 against Florida, but honestly watching the game Florida moved the ball but got stuck in the redzone and kicked 5 field goals. Florida also lost the turnover battle 2 to 0. That score could have been a lot more lopsided, but give credit to how they play in the redzone.
- They look the part defensively - they have great size and are very physical. Kind of a lunch pail team, which resembles how their coach dresses and presents himself. Very big, but I would say they don't stand out from a speed perspective.
- They play a 4-3 base, but add a nickel if the other team plays with a slot. So they will be in the nickel most of the time against our offense.
- For them, it starts up front with a very talented defensive line. Florida was able to move the ball up and down the field, but the reason they got stuck in the redzone is that they keep explosive plays to a minimum and the DL prevents you from running the ball in short yardage situations. Against TCU and OU, we settled for field goals in the redzone because we couldn't win consistently on the OL. This game has the same potential makeup.
- They also have a really solid group of corners, and one really good safety. It is going to be a really interesting matchup with our WR against their corners. Our WR are going to need to win some deep balls, not only to generate explosive plays and long TDs to keep things out of the redzone, but also just to stretch the field and give us more room in the running game.
- The LBs have great size, but they aren't quick. Kind of remind me of McBryde. Maryland I would have circled to have a real breakout game this game. Our TE group should be able to work open, and the RB will be open in the passing game as well.
- Offensively, you have to find a way to open things up and spread the field. They are big, but they are a little slow at spots. So, if you can spread them out and run, you have a shot of being successful. If you are just trying to run into their base 4-3 in a 7 man box, that isn't going to go anywhere. Spread it out and pass until they only have 5 or 6 in the box, then you run the ball.
- Running on 3rd and short killed Florida. Don't make the same mistake. They are big enough up front that you aren't going anywhere. Run the ball against their Nickel defense and you are fine, especially off tackle. Get them in space.
- On the other side of the ball, Charlotte has one explosive player - their running QB Jones. He has a good arm, he can run a little option and zone read, and when he scrambles he can really make things happen.
- That said, they just don't have players that make things happen downfield. They had a big throw against Florida on the TD drive, but it was a busted coverage. They have a really nice TE, and beyond him most throws are to their possession WR number 19 and their slot number 10. They will run the jet sweep "push pass" with number 10, so watch for that. Number 12 is their downfield threat, but they struggle getting him the ball.
- The throwing QB is very accurate.
- That said, their big problem is the OL and a lack of explosive athletes at WR and RB. The QBs are always under siege. So, the drives they have are all based on Jones scrambling and making something happen with his feet. Any negative plays kill drives because they just don't have the players to make up for it.
- We should dominate the line. I would expect a lot of pressures, and us to have the ability to stop their running game outside of the QB.
- That said, be patient, because there are going to be drives where their QB keeps things alive with his running ability. You can't get so frustrated trying to create negative plays that you don't play the option correctly or you open up an easy gap to scramble through. This game is going to be the biggest test yet for our LBs. When they pull out the option, the DEs have the ability to set an edge and force a pitch, but the LBs need to be there to close down the RB. I think we have the ability to do that. But the LBs are going to be vital to keep his scrambles to a minimum, and we really struggled against Morris when he ran the ball. This QB isn't elusive like Morris, but he is long and he is fast once he picks up speed.

Overall, I would be really disappointed if we give up 20 points to Charlotte. They have an accurate throwing QB, but he has no playmakers around him and our DL should really get to him when he is in the game. The running QB is really talented, but it isn't sustainable when you get some negative plays, and he is prone to turning the ball over. Maybe they get to 14 points on a couple of broken plays.

On offense, I think we just have to be patient and not run into a 7 man front. Take the TE and the RB if they are dropping back and preventing the deep ball. And we need to use the TE in the redzone on the rollout, because they will bottle up the middle. Florida had plenty of plays available in the passing game, they were just too stubborn and kept with the run in short yardage and it killed some of their drives. Stone needs a high completion percentage in this one with safer throws, because there will be plenty of space to run into.

I'll take SMU 38-14.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: W2W4 - Charlotte

Postby BUS » Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:32 am

Thank you... see you at Bishop and Binkley!
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Sat Sep 30, 2023 11:58 am

Get there before kickoff and stay until Varsity!
ALEX LIFESON

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Sat Sep 30, 2023 1:20 pm

Pony Up. Love these reads.
Mustangs35SMU

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Sep 30, 2023 10:01 pm

ALEX LIFESON wrote:Get there before kickoff and stay until Varsity!

But we are SMU and when it comes to fan support we are "little league" and deserving of all the ridicule we get from our former SWC mates. Everyone says "just wait until we play meaningful games in a P5 conference" but I will have to see it to believe it because it's been this way ever since I started following SMU football in the 60's
Charleston Pony

Return to Football