PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Stone

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Stone

Postby BleedingRed+Blue » Sat Sep 30, 2023 2:14 pm

I like a lot of what Preston Stone has done this year, but he looked a little hesitant or indecisive last week. Hopefully he makes his reads and decisions faster today, and gets the ball out of his hands more quickly.
BleedingRed+Blue
All-American

Re: Stone

Postby peruna81 » Sat Sep 30, 2023 2:44 pm

PS would also be helped if we go with tempo, and long term it would wear a talented D line of UNC-C a bit more as the game goes on.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby sail420s » Sat Sep 30, 2023 10:55 pm

We must be watching different people. I have been very underwhelmed with Stone.
sail420s
Varsity

Postby panhandle_pony » Sat Sep 30, 2023 11:26 pm

Has he ever completed a pass when he leaves the pocket and scrambles?
panhandle_pony
All-American

Postby CBpony » Sun Oct 01, 2023 6:26 am

He’s not as fast as advertised and his arm strength is slightly above average. Not seeing it yet. Wouldn’t mind Jennings getting some snaps, he has a cannon and not much slower than Stone
CBpony
Junior Varsity

Postby Arkpony » Sun Oct 01, 2023 8:40 am

I echo these opinions. He does not appear to be the QB we had hoped for.
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonyTime » Sun Oct 01, 2023 11:53 am

I am not sure WRs are getting open down field. Wish they would get the RBs involved in passing game - particularly Rooster. Seems like Stone never has that go to outlet or third option available.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby sail420s » Sun Oct 01, 2023 1:22 pm

PonyTime wrote:I am not sure WRs are getting open down field.

They are. Stone just can't hit them in stride. The balls are 5 yards short causing them to slow down and it turning into a jump ball.
sail420s
Varsity

Postby DallasDiehard » Sun Oct 01, 2023 8:00 pm

They didn't get open much, if at all, and Stone wasn't as accurate as he was in the first couple of games. They're all a little out of sync, and it's hard to point the finger at one and not the other. There's loads of talent there, but it hasn't really clicked yet.
Rise up, Mustang Nation!
Go SMU!
DallasDiehard
Heisman

Stone

Postby geezerdonk » Mon Oct 02, 2023 1:04 pm

It is now apparent why Stone chose SMU. His only chance of starting or having significant playing time was to attend a school with a second or third tier program. He had no chance of rising above 3rd or 4th string at a top program. He is a good fit at SMU. A mediocre player in a mediocre program at a mediocre school.
A long tradition of existence.
geezerdonk
Varsity

Postby JasonB » Mon Oct 02, 2023 2:38 pm

PonyTime wrote:I am not sure WRs are getting open down field. Wish they would get the RBs involved in passing game - particularly Rooster. Seems like Stone never has that go to outlet or third option available.

Those options ARE available. Stone is waiting for the outside receivers to get open, and in some cases forcing the ball downfield, instead of taking what is given. He did better this past game where he threw underneath on third and long and allowed the slot receiver to do the work to get the first down.

The only player I have seen make a strong, physical play on the ball this year on a pass down the field is RJ Maryland. Hudson has the potential to do it. Our receivers are struggling a little and that isn't Stone's fault.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ponywhupp9202 » Mon Oct 02, 2023 3:17 pm

JasonB wrote:
PonyTime wrote:I am not sure WRs are getting open down field. Wish they would get the RBs involved in passing game - particularly Rooster. Seems like Stone never has that go to outlet or third option available.

Those options ARE available. Stone is waiting for the outside receivers to get open, and in some cases forcing the ball downfield, instead of taking what is given. He did better this past game where he threw underneath on third and long and allowed the slot receiver to do the work to get the first down.

The only player I have seen make a strong, physical play on the ball this year on a pass down the field is RJ Maryland. Hudson has the potential to do it. Our receivers are struggling a little and that isn't Stone's fault.

I too was hoping to see some more flash with Stone, but also,.... take away the drops in the Charlotte game (I think I saw 3 decent length passes, one of them a potential touchdown play, where the ball hit the receiver in the hands or chest), and all the sudden most people are saying he had a great game and the altered statistics would likely prove that out as well. I am not a Stone hater or a fanboy, so this is just an observation.
ponywhupp9202
Varsity

Postby PlanoStang » Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:13 pm

Missing a go to NFL caliber receiver that we have had the past few years.
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Pony4Life » Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:45 pm

geezerdonk wrote:It is now apparent why Stone chose SMU. His only chance of starting or having significant playing time was to attend a school with a second or third tier program. He had no chance of rising above 3rd or 4th string at a top program. He is a good fit at SMU. A mediocre player in a mediocre program at a mediocre school.

That explains why the coaches at second- and third-tier programs like Georgia, Alabama, Auburn, Arizona, Arizona State, Florida, LSU, Michigan, Miami, Mizzou, Ohio State, Notre Dame, North Carolina, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, Penn State, Tennessee, Texas, Texas A&M, USC -- and many more -- offered him? Because SMU was his only chance to play?

Brilliant.
Fountain of youth
Giver of truth
Six parts gin
One part vermouth
Pony4Life
Heisman

Return to Football