PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Expanded ACC's Recruiting Potential Ranked

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Expanded ACC's Recruiting Potential Ranked

Postby Water Pony » Tue Oct 03, 2023 4:13 pm

Notre Dame was excluded in this poll, but SMU is projected in the middle of our new conference.

https://247sports.com/longformarticle/a ... 215589893/
Last edited by Water Pony on Thu Oct 05, 2023 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pony Up
Water Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Expanded ACC's Recruiting Potential Ranked

Postby SMUguy » Wed Oct 04, 2023 12:50 pm

Interesting. That's probably a fair starting point.
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
"Hit it."
SMUguy
Heisman

Postby Dukie » Wed Oct 04, 2023 4:10 pm

Water Pony wrote:Notre Dame was excluded in this poll, but SMU is projected in the middle of our new conference.

https://teams.microsoft.com/l/meetup-jo ... de58%22%7d

Why is this a Microsoft Teams link?
Dukie
Heisman

Postby SMUguy » Wed Oct 04, 2023 4:31 pm

I wondered that, too.
But it still makes sense that we're somewhere in the middle of that pack.
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
"Hit it."
SMUguy
Heisman

Postby Dukie » Thu Oct 05, 2023 3:49 pm

SMUguy wrote:I wondered that, too.
But it still makes sense that we're somewhere in the middle of that pack.

Would you mind screenshotting or cut n pasting? I’m curious but can’t make that link work.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby Water Pony » Thu Oct 05, 2023 5:00 pm

Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Oct 06, 2023 1:53 pm

I have long maintained that having a larger and loyal fan base is the final ingredient for SMU football (and basketball as well) to be in a position to compete on the trail against anyone. Back in the Pony Express era when SMU had Top 10 talent on our rosters, we still rarely filled Texas Stadium and Moody but with the shrunken down size of both venues, I'd like to think we can eventually fill both for what I hope will be teams that will actually have a legitimate chance to compete for national championships again.
Charleston Pony

Postby Water Pony » Fri Oct 06, 2023 2:26 pm

Comments about SMU in the report:

"Another newcomer to watch, SMU yielded some of the most divergent opinions in this poll. The Mustangs' standard deviation ranked third of 17 teams, behind only Georgia Tech and Louisville.

Wiltfong voted SMU all the way up at No. 5 and cited the Mustangs' location, investment, infrastructure, facilities and campus as some of the factors working in their favor.

"I think they have a chance to erupt," Wiltfong said. "They have had some exciting players and some exciting recruiting wins in the past, but now you stick them in the ACC, which I think is a fun conference, and they now have as much ammunition on the trail as they have had in my career."

In addition, Wiltfong questioned why SMU can't achieve similar heights to crosstown rival TCU and said he believes that the Mustangs will "be one of the better teams in the ACC" during some years.

"I think them being in a conference that allows them a path to the College Football Playoff is what makes it more exciting," Wiltfong said. "There are a lot of Power Five schools — or whatever we're calling it now — in the Lone Star State. They are now finally on an equal playing field when they walk into these schools."

"... Obviously, in the ACC, every year going into it you're going to say Florida State, Miami and Clemson if they're doing things right, they have the most face cards in their deck. But that does not mean that we won't see some other programs have some special years. I think that SMU — where they are, the investment in the program — they have a chance to be a program that has some special years."
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby Dukie » Fri Oct 06, 2023 3:35 pm

Water Pony wrote:I fixed the Link. My bad!

https://247sports.com/longformarticle/a ... 215589893/

No worries, thanks. Pretty fair comments. Being the only school in Texas is huge.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby Water Pony » Fri Oct 06, 2023 4:36 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:I have long maintained that having a larger and loyal fan base is the final ingredient for SMU football (and basketball as well) to be in a position to compete on the trail against anyone. Back in the Pony Express era when SMU had Top 10 talent on our rosters, we still rarely filled Texas Stadium and Moody but with the shrunken down size of both venues, I'd like to think we can eventually fill both for what I hope will be teams that will actually have a legitimate chance to compete for national championships again.

Charleston Pony,

To your point, this article suggests a bigger commitment to the program by our fans, including attendance and game day experience (using Ole Miss as an example) will be needed when we play in the ACC.

https://www.si.com/college/smu/football ... -miss-fans
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby Dukie » Fri Oct 06, 2023 5:18 pm

Water Pony wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:I have long maintained that having a larger and loyal fan base is the final ingredient for SMU football (and basketball as well) to be in a position to compete on the trail against anyone. Back in the Pony Express era when SMU had Top 10 talent on our rosters, we still rarely filled Texas Stadium and Moody but with the shrunken down size of both venues, I'd like to think we can eventually fill both for what I hope will be teams that will actually have a legitimate chance to compete for national championships again.

Charleston Pony,

To your point, this article suggests a bigger commitment to the program by our fans, including attendance and game day experience (using Ole Miss as an example) will be needed when we play in the ACC.

https://www.si.com/college/smu/football ... -miss-fans

This article is pretty spot-on but he lost me when he threw in Tortilla Tech as an example of the sort of atmosphere that will wow a recruit. But yes, people have to show up.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby crazy horse » Fri Oct 06, 2023 7:16 pm

Something to watch this year, we have two road games and then face Tulsa on the 28th. We should be at 5-2 at that point, if we play to our potential. Tulsa is traditionally not a strong draw. So it will be interesting to see how SMU fans turn out in support of SMU against an AAC opponent. I hope we can get into the mid 20s, like 24 -26k. Anything less would be disappointing. This team is good and deserves support. Plus, we need to be building momentum for the transition to the ACC.

Go Mustangs! Beat Bye!!
"Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it."

New post Rhett Lashlee - College Football's Coach Of The Year
crazy horse
All-American

Postby RunningStang » Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:53 am

Granted it is very early, but this college football rankings for 2025 has SMU #8 in the country and #1 in the ACC ahead of Miami, Clemson and Florida State. https://247sports.com/season/2025-footb ... mrankings/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RunningStang
Junior Varsity

Return to Football