PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Things I won't miss from the past 20 years of SMU FB...

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Things I won't miss from the past 20 years of SMU FB...

Postby EastStang » Wed Oct 11, 2023 4:09 pm

Brought my pancho to that game to only my feet were wet and face was cold. However, I did smuggle several airplane bottles of bourbon, so I wasn't cold.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Water Pony » Wed Oct 11, 2023 4:14 pm

For me, the posts perpetually criticizing Administration for not doing everything possible to escape our various conference memberships.

Our situation was unique due to many factors, including the long-term consequences from DP, lack of student and alumni enthusiasm, and recruiting challenges associated with our circumstances.

Until our major donors stepped up big time and SMU had a game plan, SMU2P5, which Administration executed successfully ... despite failed efforts with BigXII, who was never going to invite us, and the PAC-12, which imploded, ... we probably couldn't have received a P5 invitation until ACC's invite.

It is still an amazing outcome for me and SMU. As a Cubs fan, I thought I would never witness a World Series, much less win it.

:D
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby peruna81 » Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:30 pm

Water Pony wrote:For me, the posts perpetually criticizing Administration for not doing everything possible to escape our various conference memberships.

Our situation was unique due to many factors, including the long-term consequences from DP, lack of student and alumni enthusiasm, and recruiting challenges associated with our circumstances.

Until our major donors stepped up big time and SMU had a game plan, SMU2P5, which Administration executed successfully ... despite failed efforts with BigXII, who was never going to invite us, and the PAC-12, which imploded, ... we probably couldn't have received a P5 invitation until ACC's invite.

It is still an amazing outcome for me and SMU. As a Cubs fan, I thought I would never witness a World Series, much less win it.

:D

WP, I'vee been an SMU fan since 1963, and a Rangers fan since 1973...patiently waiting is our mantra...
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:39 pm

- Having Rice kneel the ball inside the 10 yard line to prevent from running the score up.
- Giving up 11 touchdowns at home to Navy.

Had completely blocked out the Liberty & Justice thing until reading this thread. Definitely up there.
Mustangs35SMU

Postby malonish » Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:17 pm

1983 Cotton Bowl wrote:
PerunaPunch wrote:Don't forget the winless TCU team that kept us from going bowling. Ugh, that was a low point.

I was at that debacle. A little more than 20 years since then, but if we're going to expand the timeline how about the infamous "all in" rush against Texas Tech.

The All Out

Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:08 am

Peruna88 wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:Getting humiliated by a Navy team that didn't throw a single pass during a game played in a memorable nor'easter...while we were trying to keep Bolivi-eing

The rain game that all rain games are measured against. Soaked shoes and socks. Water was getting through the seams of what up until then had been a very good raincoat.

I was at that turd floater as well. I won't miss those frustrating games on Navy senior day.
ALEX LIFESON

Postby 1983 Cotton Bowl » Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:48 am

malonish wrote:
1983 Cotton Bowl wrote:
PerunaPunch wrote:Don't forget the winless TCU team that kept us from going bowling. Ugh, that was a low point.

I was at that debacle. A little more than 20 years since then, but if we're going to expand the timeline how about the infamous "all in" rush against Texas Tech.

The All Out

Ah yes, "all out". I remembered that wrong.
1983 Cotton Bowl
Heisman

Postby docabel » Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:43 am

The drought breaking win at UConn where we couldn't succesfully execute a kneel down for what seemed like 3-4 plays in a row.

To be fair, we hadn't attempted a kneel down to win a game in nearly a season and half at that point.
docabel
Heisman

Postby docabel » Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:46 am

OK State when Rashaun Woods caught 7 TD passes againsts us and we refused to alter our one on one coverage of him the entire game.

To make matters worse, I recall that our offense was actually worse than our defense that year
docabel
Heisman

Postby 1983 Cotton Bowl » Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:52 pm

My memory is a bit foggy, but I think it was right around that time that we were so thin at QB that we were rolling out Tate Wallis under center. I believe he was a converted tight end or something like that.
1983 Cotton Bowl
Heisman

Postby Hoofbeat83 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:33 pm

docabel wrote:OK State when Rashaun Woods caught 7 TD passes againsts us and we refused to alter our one on one coverage of him the entire game.

To make matters worse, I recall that our offense was actually worse than our defense that year

That was a bad, bad memory. I rarely leave at halftime, but I made an exception that night. Awful.
I root for: Mustangs, Astros & Jets!
Hoofbeat83
All-American

Postby PK » Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:58 pm

docabel wrote:OK State when Rashaun Woods caught 7 TD passes againsts us and we refused to alter our one on one coverage of him the entire game.

IIRC, it wasn't so much that our defense was not all that great (and it wasn't), but that he kept pushing off and the officials ignored it. He obviously was getting lessons from Neon Deon/Prime Time on how to do that.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:49 pm

1983 Cotton Bowl wrote:My memory is a bit foggy, but I think it was right around that time that we were so thin at QB that we were rolling out Tate Wallis under center. I believe he was a converted tight end or something like that.

Tate Wallis the "would be" baseball player who did a controversial stint as a H.S. football coach before ending up at Baylor of all places?? Didn't one of our QBs in that same time frame end up playing intramural football at SMU? It was either that or he got into a scuffle refereeing an intramural game. My memory is a bit foggy as well or maybe that was just a time frame we are wanting to forget.
Charleston Pony

Postby 1983 Cotton Bowl » Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:04 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:
1983 Cotton Bowl wrote:My memory is a bit foggy, but I think it was right around that time that we were so thin at QB that we were rolling out Tate Wallis under center. I believe he was a converted tight end or something like that.

Tate Wallis the "would be" baseball player who did a controversial stint as a H.S. football coach before ending up at Baylor of all places?? Didn't one of our QBs in that same time frame end up playing intramural football at SMU? It was either that or he got into a scuffle refereeing an intramural game. My memory is a bit foggy as well or maybe that was just a time frame we are wanting to forget.

Yeah, I started at SMU in 1997, Mike Cavan's first year. Starting from the 0-10 TCU loss debacle that season and running pretty much until June Jones showed up in 2009 was a dark, dark time. So many bad memories, and the only positive memory I can conjure up is the first game at Ford Stadium when we beat Kansas.

I attended the presser with Turner, Cavan, et al when they announced that we got busted by the NCAA and were going on probation for the 700th time in school history. As Cavan was walking out of the room towards the football offices, some reporter asked him where he was going. Cavan turned and just quipped "I'm goin' recruitin' ". I was standing right there. I'm pretty sure he didn't actually "go recruitin' " :)
1983 Cotton Bowl
Heisman

Postby PonyTime » Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:53 pm

1983 Cotton Bowl wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:

Yeah, I started at SMU in 1997, Mike Cavan's first year. Starting from the 0-10 TCU loss debacle that season and running pretty much until June Jones showed up in 2009 was a dark, dark time. So many bad memories, and the only positive memory I can conjure up is the first game at Ford Stadium when we beat Kansas.

I attended the presser with Turner, Cavan, et al when they announced that we got busted by the NCAA and were going on probation for the 700th time in school history. As Cavan was walking out of the room towards the football offices, some reporter asked him where he was going. Cavan turned and just quipped "I'm goin' recruitin' ". I was standing right there. I'm pretty sure he didn't actually "go recruitin' " :)

This post just brings up a whole host of bad memories and names:

Steve Malin
Marcus Mosley
Jim Copeland
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Football