PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Thoughts on the ECU game

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Thoughts on the ECU game

Postby RunningStang » Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:15 pm

Solid win. Be happy. They are 4-2 and should be favored in all the remaining games (Memphis will be close, but they should be favored). Preston Stone is figuring it out and the light bulb is about to come on. Then lookout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RunningStang
Junior Varsity

Postby slawton011963 » Fri Oct 13, 2023 7:54 pm

A win is a win. Would love to see us dominate in every area but we aren't at that point yet. Just win anyway we can...and next week just win any way we can.

Changing subjects, as much as I dislike non-saturday games I will enjoy a stress-free Saturday having already had a Ponies win.

Enjoy the weekend everyone.
slawton011963

Postby PNW_Stang » Sat Oct 14, 2023 10:36 am

I would imagine that if Preston went into the portal after his performance the last 6 games, he would have a lot of schools after him, including some P5s. Like Jason said, my take is he is a little better than average, probably just inside the top half of QBs. Maybe that just gets better next year and the year after.
PNW_Stang
Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Oct 14, 2023 1:07 pm

PNW_Stang wrote:I would imagine that if Preston went into the portal after his performance the last 6 games, he would have a lot of schools after him, including some P5s. Like Jason said, my take is he is a little better than average, probably just inside the top half of QBs. Maybe that just gets better next year and the year after.

Let's just hope both Stone and Jennings remain Mustangs as they mature and gain experience. Jennings is the one I worry about getting frustrated about his lack of playing time and entering the portal. It's critical to have depth with dual threat QBs and we saw last year how quickly at QB's season can end. I'm sure Jennings would get plenty of interest as well but not sure where he could go and be guaranteed he could become the starter. UNT might be the most likely to come after him although the JR transfer from UL-Monroe is looking pretty good for the Mean Green right now
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby crazy horse » Sat Oct 14, 2023 8:13 pm

The last two years we had some great efforts from WRs including some fortunate tips. With that in mind, the dropped pass by Dixon, was Smith in position to catch the tip in the End Zone? The angle of the highlights makes it appear he gave up on what might have been an awesome catch. It may have not been possible. We had few tipped TDs in the past. This was at the end of the 3rd.

Could we stop the comparisons to Manziel? Let Preston be Preston. For the media folks of course.

Love the defense. They will keep us in every game in the AAC. Just need to get the offense moving again.
"Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it."

New post Rhett Lashlee - College Football's Coach Of The Year
crazy horse
All-American

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Oct 14, 2023 8:17 pm

crazy horse wrote:The last two years we had some great efforts from WRs including some fortunate tips. With that in mind, the dropped pass by Dixon, was Smith in position to catch the tip in the End Zone? The angle of the highlights makes it appear he gave up on what might have been an awesome catch. It may have not been possible. We had few tipped TDs in the past. This was at the end of the 3rd.

I had the same thought. Never quit on a play because you don't know how a ball might bounce!
Charleston Pony

Postby crazy horse » Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:19 pm

And just to be clear, he had a great game, with some solid catches and effort. That was possibly a missed opportunity - again from the TV angle anyway. And if the offense is struggling like it was that game, those "lucky" bounces our priceless.

Play in question at 6:15 mark.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lZ7WYKdFvM

After watching it several times, it would have been one heck of an effort, likely diving for it to make the catch. I remembered the ball bouncing up more than it did, and Smith being much closer.

Take the win and enjoy. Work on the offense. Get some practice against Temple.
"Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it."

New post Rhett Lashlee - College Football's Coach Of The Year
crazy horse
All-American

Postby ponyte » Sun Oct 15, 2023 3:32 pm

D was fantastic. The D won the game. The Defense scoring alone tied ECU. It was refreshing to see a SMU D win a game. Its been decades since we have seen a D this capable. The O hasn't fired on all 5 cylinders out of a V-8 all year. Appears to be a combination of areas. Our D keeps us in every game left on the schedule. The O has to improve to run the rest of th schedule.

And unless the O improves, we don't beat Memphis. We have the D to do it. Just lack the O right now.
ponyte

Postby RunningStang » Sun Oct 15, 2023 5:33 pm

I think it will improve. Remember, Preston Stone has only played in handful of games including this year. The light bulb is going to go off starting this Friday at Temple and then his and the offense’s breakout game will be homecoming. I hope. I will be at that one and hope to see SMU win by 40!!

RunningStang
Junior Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Oct 15, 2023 5:52 pm

RunningStang wrote:I think it will improve. Remember, Preston Stone has only played in handful of games including this year. The light bulb is going to go off starting this Friday at Temple and then his and the offense’s breakout game will be homecoming. I hope. I will be at that one and hope to see SMU win by 40!!

Game experience wise, Preston is now approaching the end of his FR year so it's time for that light bulb to shine. Playing a team like Temple that is struggling should certainly help
Charleston Pony

Postby Topper » Sun Oct 15, 2023 7:21 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:We have to remember that Preston is still a FR in terms of actual D-I game experience

So is that kid at K State who scored 5 TDs against TTU last night.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Previous

Return to Football