PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

2024 SMU Football Uniform Concepts

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

2024 SMU Football Uniform Concepts

Postby SMU1523 » Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:01 am

I posted this already on the On3 forums. I wanted to share here. It's been a while since I have been on PonyFans.

We haven't had a uniform thread in a long time. Honestly, it's probably because SMU has been doing an incredible job with the uniforms and branding since the disaster that was the Chad Morris uniform era. Since we are headed to the ACC next year, I wanted to do some mockups of SMU football uniforms with the ACC patch and on the latest Nike template. Some of you probably remember the concepts I did about 10 years ago. These mockups are very similar to those. In my design opinion, if it isn't broke, don't fix it. I also like to pull from our rich history.

I have honestly made some minor adjustments to what we already have, but I do believe these changes make a difference. I am sure the administration is working on some awesome sets for ACC play, but it's always fun to come up with uniform concepts that I would choose for the program.

Pony Express (Primary)

There is not a better set in the history of college football, than the 1982 SMU Pony Express uniforms. These uniforms are by far the most iconic for SMU. I am thankful we went back to the Pony Express look in 2008 with the hiring of June Jones. In my opinion, the Phil Bennett uniforms are the worst SMU uniforms in the program's history. Sonny Dykes, as much as we all hate him, did a good job of bringing back the primary home blues.

For this set, I changed the striping patterns back to match the 1982 set. I removed the stripes on the sleeves and added the number back on, also like the 1982 set. I implemented the SMU logo that we used for the OU game, but outlined the logo to make it two color. I also added a red alternate. I definitely prefer blue, especially after June ran the red uniforms into the ground. Notice I switched the bumper stickers on the helmets to the "Pony Up" hand sign (yes, I ripped it off of USC) with the words "Pony Up" on the back.

Triple D (Alternate Whites)

There was not a single thing I touched on these incredible uniforms other than the ACC patch and updated SMU wordmark logo on pants. On the blues, I chose to use the Chad Morris era Dallas Skyline Pony. The Midnight Navy version is a good alternative to black, without changing the school colors too much.

1948 and 1968 Mustang Retro Alternates

These are the concepts I did about 10 years ago on the Nike Pro Combat template. Out of the history of SMU football uniforms, I feel these are the two best looking sets. I like the fact they are very rich with the color palette and have a "traditional powerhouse" feel to them. Each player featured, Doak Walker and Jerry Levias are SMU legends. I love how these will remind college football fans of our rich history. I am toying with the idea of doing a Dandy Don whites uniform concept.

If you want to see these uniforms in vector, feel free to click the link below to see the PDF.

http://www.rallisoncreative.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/10/2024-SMU-Football-Uniform-Concepts-Ryan-Allison-Creative-Branding.pdf
SMU1523
Heisman

Re: 2024 SMU Football Uniform Concepts

Postby PlanoStang » Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:34 am

Would really like to see us add the Levias uni. Not in favor of the pony express uni with a red jersey, and black uni. Red jersey should be for the walker uni.
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Bergermeister » Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:50 am

Pony Express white, Pony Express blue, Pony Express helmet. That’s a significant, classy, memorable brand. The rest of those are cute, nostalgic or whatever. Let’s stick with the basics and back our brand with wins.
Bergermeister
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMU1523 » Fri Oct 13, 2023 12:25 pm

I agree with no red Pony Express jersey. The Pony Express Away Whites and Home Blues are the best uniforms in college football. I still love the white triple d's
SMU1523
Heisman

Postby Topper » Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:05 pm

This is the 25th anniversary of Doak Walker's death. It would be nice to field a team in those 40's uniforms while some of those who knew him are still alive to see them one more time.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby PerunaPunch » Fri Oct 13, 2023 3:35 pm

I like the DDD for in-state games, and the traditional PonyExpress Blue and White for all others.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby Graceland Tar Heel » Sat Oct 14, 2023 5:04 pm

PlanoStang wrote:Would really like to see us add the Levias uni. Not in favor of the pony express uni with a red jersey, and black uni. Red jersey should be for the walker uni.

I like red helmet with blue jersey. And I think wearing blue pants when wearing white jerseys also would look good because then you always highlight both of your two colors.
Graceland Tar Heel
Junior Varsity

Postby Dukie » Sat Oct 14, 2023 7:56 pm

PerunaPunch wrote:I like the DDD for in-state games, and the traditional PonyExpress Blue and White for all others.

This.
Dukie
Heisman

Return to Football