PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Temple Game Thread

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Temple Game Thread

Postby HubbaHubba » Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:15 pm

Back up O & D line getting good reps.
HubbaHubba
All-American

Postby Arkpony » Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:26 pm

Well done Mustangs
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby TidePony » Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:28 pm

This was delicious!
TidePony
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:31 pm

All that we could have hoped for and more. You have to feel bad for Temple as that program has really bottomed out. At least hoops season is right around the corner for them.
Charleston Pony

Postby sail420s » Sat Oct 21, 2023 1:38 am

Charleston Pony wrote:
Arkpony wrote:So good to know we have a good backup QB!

Exactly what I was thinking if Stone ever gets dinged up or is just having an awful day...Jennings certainly looks capable of running this offense and running it well

Stone has had several awful days. Jennings is more capable than Stone. He makes quicker decisions. I was a huge Stone fan, until about game three. His decision making is way too slow. EVERY deep throw is under thrown. We keep giving our receivers crap for not getting open, but on every deep throw, they have to stop and high point the ball. I can count on my fingers the number of throws over 20 yards that Stone has hit the receiver in stride.
sail420s
Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Oct 21, 2023 6:04 am

sail420s wrote:Stone has had several awful days. Jennings is more capable than Stone. He makes quicker decisions. I was a huge Stone fan, until about game three. His decision making is way too slow. EVERY deep throw is under thrown. We keep giving our receivers crap for not getting open, but on every deep throw, they have to stop and high point the ball. I can count on my fingers the number of throws over 20 yards that Stone has hit the receiver in stride.

I haven't seen enough of Jennings to go that far. Not sure Jennings makes "quicker decisions" as I've only seen him in mop up roles vs bad teams but he has looked good. In Stone's defense regarding his deep throws, while he hasn't always hit guys in stride, he's made good reads and thrown the vast majority of deep balls into single coverage and his 16 TDs vs 5 INTs is the kind of ratio you like to see, especially since he's played against some pretty stout defenses @ OU, TCU & ECU and is still playing basically as a FR D-I game experience wise.
Charleston Pony

Postby mtrout » Sat Oct 21, 2023 6:58 am

I’m no expert but Jennings looks better to me. I hate HS ratings. Once you’ve played, that goes out the window imo. Kinda like your gpa once you get a real job.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby Arkpony » Sat Oct 21, 2023 7:57 am

Although we have only seen Jennings in a mop up role, he has looked really good. As I recall the team has scored every series he has played on except one in which he fumbled. I’d like to see more of him.
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby redpony » Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:01 am

the big question is- will Jennings be happy playing 1q every 4-5 games. I would not be surprised to see him move on. would be great if we could keep him but he knows there is no upside to waiting for a chance here.
redpony

Postby FroggieFever » Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:18 am

Dominate.
Go Frogs! Pony Up!
FroggieFever
Heisman

Postby Graceland Tar Heel » Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:58 am

Charleston Pony wrote:All that we could have hoped for and more. You have to feel bad for Temple as that program has really bottomed out. At least hoops season is right around the corner for them.

There is no reason for that program to ever be any good, which means any coach who wins there has accomplished something. There always has been much more talent in western PA than around Philly, and there always has been more NJ talent near NYC than near Philly. MD kids have no interest in being at Temple if they have options at places like ECU or JMU or App ST. Very hard to get any talent, even sound G5 talent, to Temple.
Graceland Tar Heel
Junior Varsity

Postby mustang1108 » Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:58 am

Everyone who is saying that Jennings has only played in mop up duty has clearly forgotten about Tulsa last year. We don't win that game without him as he completed 8/11 with a TD as Stone was hurt the entire second half.
mustang1108
Varsity

Previous

Return to Football