PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Bowl projections

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Bowl projections

Postby sail420s » Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:41 am

mtrout wrote:
highlander wrote:Look at this BS from ESPN:
Schlabach: Unbeaten Liberty and two-loss Troy would be an entertaining matchup in the Birmingham Bowl. The Flames finished 12-0 in coach Jamey Chadwell's first season by beating UTEP 42-28 on the road Saturday. They will play New Mexico State in Friday's Conference USA championship game. If Liberty wins that game, and Tulane loses to SMU in Saturday's AAC title game (4 p.m. ET, ABC), Liberty could still reach a New Year's Six bowl game. Troy has won nine in a row under Jon Sumrall, who is one of the up-and-coming coaches in FBS and has been linked with several Power 5 jobs. The Trojans play Appalachian State the Sun Belt title game Saturday (4 p.m. ET, ESPN).

He is completely discounting the possibility that SMU will be in the NY6 if they win! I don't see how Liberty makes it to the NY6 if the committee has any clue about Liberty, Tulane or SMU.

Well Liberty is undefeated and ranked in the current CFP rankings while SMU is neither. Liberty is also ranked ahead of us in the AP and Coaches Polls so I guess nobody has a clue lol. Liberty beating NM State(RV) would also be a good win. It's not an unreasonable blurb. We need them to lose.

First, he wasn't "completely discounting the possibility that SMU will be in the NY6 if they win". He just acknowledged Liberty had a possibility.

Second, Liberty beating NMSU would be a good win? NMSU is currently ranked 45 per CBS Sports. They are by far the best team Liberty has played. 9 of their 13 (Assuming they win this weekend) wins are against teams outside of the top 90. NMSU would be the only one in the top 63. All of their other wins are against teams worse than TCU (had to get that in there). We have also had an easy schedule, but it includes beating 34 Memphis and 18 Tulane (assuming we win).

I think Liberty's only chance is for SMU to barely beat Tulane by a FG or less and Liberty to completely blow out NMSU...but it is still a chance.
sail420s
Varsity

Postby CA Mustang » Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:08 pm

Military Bowl
Projected matchup: Miami vs. SMU

Athlon
Military Bowl (Dec. 27)
Tie-In: ACC vs. American
Projection: Virginia Tech vs. SMU

Fox Sports
Military Bowl (Dec. 27): Virginia Tech vs. SMU

SB
Armed Forces Bowl: Texas Tech vs. SMU

SN
Dec. 18 Myrtle Beach Bowl SMU vs. Georgia State
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Mustangs_Maroons » Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:21 pm

It's pretty simple to me. If we win, we're in a NY6 bowl as the top G5 team. Beating the highest ranked team currently in Tulane in their stadium as conference champion should seal it.

Clearly, these other bowl projections are assuming we lose. The Athletic assumes we win and has us in the Peach Bowl I believe. I would feel better with Stone but have confidence we have the better overall team.
Mustangs_Maroons
Heisman

Postby highlander » Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:06 pm

mtrout wrote:
highlander wrote:Look at this BS from ESPN:
Schlabach: Unbeaten Liberty and two-loss Troy would be an entertaining matchup in the Birmingham Bowl. The Flames finished 12-0 in coach Jamey Chadwell's first season by beating UTEP 42-28 on the road Saturday. They will play New Mexico State in Friday's Conference USA championship game. If Liberty wins that game, and Tulane loses to SMU in Saturday's AAC title game (4 p.m. ET, ABC), Liberty could still reach a New Year's Six bowl game. Troy has won nine in a row under Jon Sumrall, who is one of the up-and-coming coaches in FBS and has been linked with several Power 5 jobs. The Trojans play Appalachian State the Sun Belt title game Saturday (4 p.m. ET, ESPN).

He is completely discounting the possibility that SMU will be in the NY6 if they win! I don't see how Liberty makes it to the NY6 if the committee has any clue about Liberty, Tulane or SMU.

Well Liberty is undefeated and ranked in the current CFP rankings while SMU is neither. Liberty is also ranked ahead of us in the AP and Coaches Polls so I guess nobody has a clue lol. Liberty beating NM State(RV) would also be a good win. It's not an unreasonable blurb. We need them to lose.

Should anyone outside of Lynchburg care that Liberty is undefeated? Not only have they NOT played a P5 team, they also have not played anyone from the two best G5 conferences (AAC and MWC). I don't see how Liberty makes the NY6, regardless of their current rankings.
highlander
Varsity

Postby PonyTales » Mon Nov 27, 2023 2:32 pm

I can't believe anyone outside of Lynchburg even knows what Liberty is.

First choice, of course, is Fiesta. After that, put me down for the game vs. VaTech.
PonyTales
Heisman

Postby CA Mustang » Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:08 pm

PonyTales wrote:First choice, of course, is Fiesta. After that, put me down for the game vs. VaTech.

PS agrees with you! https://twitter.com/ProjSports/status/1 ... 6502498350
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Mustangs_Maroons » Tue Nov 28, 2023 6:51 pm

The Athletic changed their prediction and have Tulane as the top G5 team playing in a NY6 bowl. It's like due to Stone not playing and the lack of reference for Jennings.

I believe the case still holds, however, that if we win, we get that NY6 Bowl.
Mustangs_Maroons
Heisman

Postby ponyte » Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:01 am

ponyte
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:05 am

If our roles were reversed and we were the undefeated team against lesser competition, we would be arguing that we can only play the teams on our schedule and would argue that we have difficulty scheduling P5 teams because they fear losing to us. Don't know if that's the case but I get where Liberty people are undoubtedly coming from...and our loss to TCU is a killer! If we don't get in, it's a flashback for me to that 0-10 TCU beating us in Ft Worth and keeping SMU from going bowling for the 1st time since the death penalty.
Charleston Pony

Postby highlander » Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:49 am

Charleston Pony wrote:If our roles were reversed and we were the undefeated team against lesser competition, we would be arguing that we can only play the teams on our schedule and would argue that we have difficulty scheduling P5 teams because they fear losing to us. Don't know if that's the case but I get where Liberty people are undoubtedly coming from...and our loss to TCU is a killer! If we don't get in, it's a flashback for me to that 0-10 TCU beating us in Ft Worth and keeping SMU from going bowling for the 1st time since the death penalty.

Has there been an instance it which a P5 school refused to play SMU because they were afraid of us?
highlander
Varsity

Postby highlander » Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:56 am

New Year's Six
Friday, Dec. 29

Goodyear Cotton Bowl Classic
AT&T Stadium (Arlington, Texas)
8 p.m., ESPN and the ESPN App
Bonagura: Georgia vs. Penn State
Schlabach: Oklahoma vs. SMU

Saturday, Dec. 30

Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl
Mercedes-Benz Stadium (Atlanta)
Noon, ESPN and the ESPN App
Bonagura: SMU vs. Missouri
Schlabach: Ohio State vs. Oregon

vs Oklahoma? That's not going to happen if the CFP follows its own guidelines, because we have already played them this year.

But the big takeaway is Schlabach and Bonagura both see SMU in the NY6.
highlander
Varsity

Postby TexanMark » Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:02 am

Best way to settle this:

SMU vs Liberty

Let the Vegas Sharps set the line. The favorite gets the NY6 Bowl

Spoiler: SMU by 6
TexanMark
Recruit

Postby highlander » Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:15 am

TexanMark wrote:Best way to settle this:

SMU vs Liberty

Let the Vegas Sharps set the line. The favorite gets the NY6 Bowl

Spoiler: SMU by 6

It looks like you hit the submit button before you put the 0 after the 6. SMU by 60.
highlander
Varsity

Postby Pony64 » Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:10 pm

Seeing a lot of Liberty projections. Just dumb.
Pony64
Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Dec 03, 2023 5:14 pm

highlander wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:If our roles were reversed and we were the undefeated team against lesser competition, we would be arguing that we can only play the teams on our schedule and would argue that we have difficulty scheduling P5 teams because they fear losing to us. Don't know if that's the case but I get where Liberty people are undoubtedly coming from...and our loss to TCU is a killer! If we don't get in, it's a flashback for me to that 0-10 TCU beating us in Ft Worth and keeping SMU from going bowling for the 1st time since the death penalty.

Has there been an instance it which a P5 school refused to play SMU because they were afraid of us?

Actually yes there have been instances of SMU scheduling home and home series with P5 schools only to have those schools "buy out" of the return game when they would have had to come to Ford after SMU played them on the road. I can't remember if it was a Big XII or SEC school that did that but it has happened and is something that happens pretty regularly. Hopefully OU gives us the return trip to Ford that was part of the deal with them
Charleston Pony

Previous

Return to Football