PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Bowl projections

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Bowl projections

Postby mtrout » Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:29 pm

Exactly. This is SMU. We're not going to be magically gifted the top G5 CFP spot. We need to try to beat everyone by 50.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby indianmustang » Mon Nov 13, 2023 3:27 pm

from action network
liberty bowl SMU vs iowa STATE
https://www.actionnetwork.com/ncaaf/col ... ed-spreads
Mustang from India
indianmustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMU Pom Mom » Mon Nov 13, 2023 4:04 pm

I hope not.

Frisco Bowl: Northwestern vs SMU

https://saturdaytradition.com/big-ten-f ... ch-6-wins/
SMU Pom Mom
All-American

Postby indianmustang » Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:18 pm

Biggameboomer
Military bowl against GT
https://twitter.com/BigGameBoomer/statu ... 80/photo/1
Mustang from India
indianmustang

Postby smubrooks » Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:11 am

Is it me, or are we being shown a ton of disrespect in both the [deleted] bowl predictions and the T25 voting?
Pony Up!
smubrooks
All-American

Postby mtrout » Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:12 am

These bowl predictions are somewhat frustrating. It's like...pick any possibility that we have bowl tie-ins with (and zero NY6 options).
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby AusTxPony » Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:45 am

Here's a nice surprise from the Athletic today: SMU v Missouri in Atlanta Peach Bowl

"With Air Force fading and Tulane looking shakier by the week, SMU is our projected Group of 5 New Year’s Six Bowl representative. While the Mustangs would make sense geographically in the Cotton Bowl, that bowl has had G5 teams each of the last two years. SMU would go to the Peach Bowl (our choice) or Fiesta Bowl."
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Postby 1983 Cotton Bowl » Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:20 am

smubrooks wrote:Is it me, or are we being shown a ton of disrespect in both the [deleted] bowl predictions and the T25 voting?

That is the story of SMU. We are never gifted default respect the way the blue bloods are. SMU has had to earn every ounce of respect it's ever gotten. . . which is frankly not a lot because for long stretches of our football history we haven't earned squat. So when we are actually deserving of respect, we have to prove it over and over before we get it. Hell, the 1982 Mustangs, who were absolutely incredible, stocked with future pros, and the only major undefeated team in the country, didn't win the NC and Eric Dickerson didn't win the Heisman Trophy. . . how did that happen???

Want respect?. . . beat Memphis, beat Navy, beat whoever we would play in the AAC title game, and then beat a P-5 school in a respectable bowl. Anything short of that and SMU will be immediately forgotten by the talking heads once again.

But no pressure :)
1983 Cotton Bowl
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:10 pm

1983 Cotton Bowl wrote:
smubrooks wrote:Is it me, or are we being shown a ton of disrespect in both the [deleted] bowl predictions and the T25 voting?

That is the story of SMU. We are never gifted default respect the way the blue bloods are. SMU has had to earn every ounce of respect it's ever gotten. . . which is frankly not a lot because for long stretches of our football history we haven't earned squat. So when we are actually deserving of respect, we have to prove it over and over before we get it. Hell, the 1982 Mustangs, who were absolutely incredible, stocked with future pros, and the only major undefeated team in the country, didn't win the NC and Eric Dickerson didn't win the Heisman Trophy. . . how did that happen???

Want respect?. . . beat Memphis, beat Navy, beat whoever we would play in the AAC title game, and then beat a P-5 school in a respectable bowl. Anything short of that and SMU will be immediately forgotten by the talking heads once again.

Spot on but how can SMU expect to be noticed nationally when we can't even fill a 32,000 seat Ford and 7,000 seat Moody? Even our students, alumni and DFW area college sports fans don't seem to care much about SMU athletics. I wish it wasn't true but that's our reality. Since moving away from Dallas in 1987 after we got the death penalty, I've had plenty of co-workers, friends and neighbors ask me why nobody seems to care about SMU athletics and I have trouble answering but I tell them the only silver lining is that when I am able to visit Dallas and attend a game, I never have any trouble getting a good seat. People talk about USC being the "University of Spoiled Children" and in that respect, I think SMU is USC's "sister school".

We've shown how a Top 25 hoops program can change the atmosphere in Moody. I'm waiting to see what a Top 25 football program playing in a big boy conference can do in Ford. I'm hopeful we will see our local bandwagon alumni return (I know a few) and that DFW area college sports fans will want to come out to watch quality college football at Ford and hoops at Moody. I'd be more than happy to have to plan well in advance to make sure I could get a ticket to Ford and/or Moody when I get to visit Dallas again. For now, please surprise me and beat Memphis, win out and keep the momentum going!
Charleston Pony

Postby 1983 Cotton Bowl » Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:13 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:
1983 Cotton Bowl wrote:

Spot on but how can SMU expect to be noticed nationally when we can't even fill a 32,000 seat Ford and 7,000 seat Moody? Even our students, alumni and DFW area college sports fans don't seem to care much about SMU athletics. I wish it wasn't true but that's our reality. Since moving away from Dallas in 1987 after we got the death penalty, I've had plenty of co-workers, friends and neighbors ask me why nobody seems to care about SMU athletics and I have trouble answering but I tell them the only silver lining is that when I am able to visit Dallas and attend a game, I never have any trouble getting a good seat. People talk about USC being the "University of Spoiled Children" and in that respect, I think SMU is USC's "sister school".

We've shown how a Top 25 hoops program can change the atmosphere in Moody. I'm waiting to see what a Top 25 football program playing in a big boy conference can do in Ford. I'm hopeful we will see our local bandwagon alumni return (I know a few) and that DFW area college sports fans will want to come out to watch quality college football at Ford and hoops at Moody. I'd be more than happy to have to plan well in advance to make sure I could get a ticket to Ford and/or Moody when I get to visit Dallas again. For now, please surprise me and beat Memphis, win out and keep the momentum going!

Yeah, our inability to generate much fan support is a perpetual source of frustration. But you've hit on it that the one thing we haven't tried post-DP is having a top 25 team playing in a top conference. Not sure about top-25 next year, but we'll have a heck of a home slate to hopefully attract more interest.
1983 Cotton Bowl
Heisman

Postby PlanoStang » Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:43 pm

The SMU vs. aTm aka wTf BBall game at Moody tonight is supposedly almost sold out.
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Mustangs_Maroons » Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:34 pm

AusTxPony wrote:Here's a nice surprise from the Athletic today: SMU v Missouri in Atlanta Peach Bowl

"With Air Force fading and Tulane looking shakier by the week, SMU is our projected Group of 5 New Year’s Six Bowl representative. While the Mustangs would make sense geographically in the Cotton Bowl, that bowl has had G5 teams each of the last two years. SMU would go to the Peach Bowl (our choice) or Fiesta Bowl."

I saw this too. If we win out, we would shockingly be the best G5 team and get an invite to a NY6. I actually like the match-up against Missouri, much better than to play against Ohio State, for instance.

We have to take care of Memphis first.
Mustangs_Maroons
Heisman

Postby PerunaPunch » Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:42 pm

PlanoStang wrote:The SMU vs. aTm aka wTf BBall game at Moody tonight is supposedly almost sold out.

I would argue that if alumni and the generic Dallas basketball fan thought they would be going to see a local team that was likely to beat TAMU, it would have been sold out a month ago.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby Webmaster » Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:45 pm

PerunaPunch wrote:
PlanoStang wrote:The SMU vs. aTm aka wTf BBall game at Moody tonight is supposedly almost sold out.

I would argue that if alumni and the generic Dallas basketball fan thought they would be going to see a local team that was likely to beat TAMU, it would have been sold out a month ago.

To that point, I went to several of the early games in the Larry Brown era that were held out in Garland (reasonably close to my office) while Moody was getting a facelift. I was one of the very small handful of SMU fans in the building. Within a very short period of time, SMU basketball at Moody was the hottest ticket in town.
"Rhett Lashlee not only has the top G5 transfer class, it’s one of the best classes in the country, period.”
–– Chris Vannini, The Athletic

Thanks for supporting PonyFans.com. If you have any problems or concerns, please e-mail us at webmaster@ponyfans.com
Webmaster
Heisman

Postby 1983 Cotton Bowl » Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:55 pm

Webmaster wrote:
PerunaPunch wrote:

To that point, I went to several of the early games in the Larry Brown era that were held out in Garland (reasonably close to my office) while Moody was getting a facelift. I was one of the very small handful of SMU fans in the building. Within a very short period of time, SMU basketball at Moody was the hottest ticket in town.

That was a glorious 36 months. Most fun I've had as an SMU sports fan, since I was too young for the Pony Express. In the ACC, with the right coach, we may be able to build something that will last.
Last edited by 1983 Cotton Bowl on Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1983 Cotton Bowl
Heisman

PreviousNext

Return to Football