PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

OFFICIAL:SMU-TULSA ATTENDANCE PREDICTIONS

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: OFFICIAL:SMU-TULSA ATTENDANCE PREDICTIONS

Postby redpony » Sun Oct 29, 2023 2:53 pm

Charleston Pony wrote: We could have packed Ford Stadium for almost every game in those years but it might take a team that consistently competes for ACC titles and is ranked in the Top 10 (like we were in the early 80's) to draw those numbers to fill an expanded Ford.

I attended most of those games with my children.
I would hope that playing the likes of a Clemson, Duke or Fl. St. would draw a lot of people to Ford especially if we have a competitive team.
I agree with the other comments that we need a high-powered marketing program to draw the casual Dallas fan to our games as our alums etc. will not fill it up.
redpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby tristatecoog » Sun Oct 29, 2023 2:53 pm

Yesterday:
31,288 (99% capacity) at Wake vs FSU
58,503 (90% capacity) at Miami vs Duke — best metro, private comparison/aspiration
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby Hop Sing » Sun Oct 29, 2023 2:58 pm

ALEX LIFESON wrote:Some of our most loyal fans that will show up no matter what the weather or the situation is, are non-alums. We need a creative, aggressive Marketing plan, to attract some of those people. As large as the Metroplex is, you don't really need a large percentage, to fill that place with people that love college football. The SMU alumni base and student enrollment, will not get it done. What's the definition of insanity?.... we have to make a Herculean effort, to attract the sidewalk fans.

I love the Dallas campaign because I agree that we need to attract the non SMU alum fans, and I still maintain that will happen if we ever turn the corner with meaningful wins and ranked teams. It will also get people to leave the boulevard and come inside the stadium. For reference see TCU.
Hop Sing
Varsity

Postby Hop Sing » Sun Oct 29, 2023 3:30 pm

tristatecoog wrote:Yesterday:
58,503 (90% capacity) at Miami vs Duke — best metro, private comparison/aspiration

#4 Florida State and #20 Duke

There’s the difference
Hop Sing
Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Oct 29, 2023 3:39 pm

Hop Sing wrote:
tristatecoog wrote:Yesterday:

#4 Florida State and #20 Duke

There’s the difference

So you are suggesting La Tech, Prairie View, Charlotte and Tulsa don't attract fans? :lol:
Admittedly our home schedule this season is awful and anything but perfect weather hurts even more. Probably as weak a home schedule as I can remember, but hopefully at some point in my lifetime those will be the kind of games that tickets will be available if SMU can attract enough t-shirt fans who just want to come out and see the campus, stadium and a top ranked SMU football team play on a Saturday.
Charleston Pony

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Oct 29, 2023 3:46 pm

I should note it will certainly not hurt our attendance if we can hang onto 2025 recruits Keelon Russell and Daylon Singleton. Getting more of the Dallas area's best players to stay home and play in front of family and friends is important.
Charleston Pony

Postby Webmaster » Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:56 am

I was really disappointed in the attendance. I watched the game last night on TV, and it looked bad. However, in our defense (and I wish the commentators would have said a little more about it), half an hour prior to kickoff they would have been playing the game on Seadoos or submarines. The rain was CRAZY. Sad that most of the homecoming activities got washed out.
"Rhett Lashlee not only has the top G5 transfer class, it’s one of the best classes in the country, period.”
–– Chris Vannini, The Athletic

Thanks for supporting PonyFans.com. If you have any problems or concerns, please e-mail us at webmaster@ponyfans.com
Webmaster
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:28 pm

Webmaster wrote:I was really disappointed in the attendance. I watched the game last night on TV, and it looked bad. However, in our defense (and I wish the commentators would have said a little more about it), half an hour prior to kickoff they would have been playing the game on Seadoos or submarines. The rain was CRAZY. Sad that most of the homecoming activities got washed out.

They did comment in the pregame and showed 6 inches of water being removed from the field by SMU staff. Don't know if they commented about all of the Homecoming activities being cancelled because of the storms but any way you cut it, our fans are soft. I would think the performance of this year's team would have brought out some of the bandwagon fans but not yet. Beat Rice and hopefully they will show up for UNT
Charleston Pony

Previous

Return to Football