PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

OFFICIAL:SMU-TULSA ATTENDANCE PREDICTIONS

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: OFFICIAL:SMU-TULSA ATTENDANCE PREDICTIONS

Postby SmooBoy » Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:12 am

Insane_Pony_Posse wrote:
SmooBoy wrote:about 5-6K in stands at kickoff, 1-2K at game end.

wow

Based on 'crowd' here, 5K is WAY over estimating. Figures we have zero rain all summer and fall, and it decides to show up this week.
SmooBoy
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby peruna81 » Sat Oct 28, 2023 12:40 pm

This rivals the famous ECU game where the announcers open-miked "This is pathetic".
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Oct 28, 2023 12:48 pm

peruna81 wrote:This rivals the famous ECU game where the announcers open-miked "This is pathetic".

It's sad that this has become routine for SMU. This team is deserving of more support
Charleston Pony

Postby peruna81 » Sat Oct 28, 2023 1:06 pm

Planning to be there for the 7-11 game...Expect to see blue hairs, no hairs, and green hairs...and an SMU win.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Oct 28, 2023 6:42 pm

20,800 announced but didn't appear half that number ever actually showed up
Charleston Pony

Postby Bergermeister » Sat Oct 28, 2023 8:06 pm

Attendance continues to be a perpetual embarrassment. There weren’t 10,000 bodies there. It’s not gonna get better. You can add all the end zone seats and air conditioned restrooms you want but there’s not many folks who give a schitt about SMU football. No change in sight. Pony up anyway.
Bergermeister

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:04 pm

I was actually surprised by the amount of people that showed up on the west Press Box side.
ALEX LIFESON

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:27 pm

ALEX LIFESON wrote:I was actually surprised by the amount of people that showed up on the west Press Box side.

And that about sums up the sad state of SMU's fan support or I should say lack of fan support. I sure hope all those who think attendance will improve once we are playing ACC opponents are right because we really are an embarrassment right now...and have been for years
Charleston Pony

Postby tristatecoog » Sat Oct 28, 2023 10:49 pm

I’m impressed by all the people that line up to take pictures on the field after the game.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Sun Oct 29, 2023 5:36 am

Charleston Pony wrote:
ALEX LIFESON wrote:I was actually surprised by the amount of people that showed up on the west Press Box side.

And that about sums up the sad state of SMU's fan support or I should say lack of fan support. I sure hope all those who think attendance will improve once we are playing ACC opponents are right because we really are an embarrassment right now...and have been for years

Totally agree. I have been saying for years, not all alums, but the majority of SMU alumni fit the stereotype, very soft. If the the weather is not perfect or if there is anything else to do, they are not going to the game. It did not rain a drop after 10:30 a.m., absolutely shameful.
ALEX LIFESON

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Oct 29, 2023 7:30 am

I would like to blame our attendance woes on the death penalty and the pursuing years of horrible football that produced a generation of students and alumni who never cared about football but even back in the Pony Express era we struggled to generate respectable attendance numbers. As long as I've followed SMU football we have depended on our opponents to help fill the stands and I'm skeptical that ACC membership will change that. We need another Russ Potts to help and I just hope we get good weather and a strong turnout vs UNT which unfortunately is another Friday night lights game which will undoubtedly create some conflicts
Charleston Pony

Postby Arkpony » Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:19 am

I attended most of the Pony Express days games and I don’t recall ever feeling dissatisfied with the attendance. I remember one game in Texas Stadium that Potts OVER sold the stadium. But I’m 86 now and perhaps my memory is failing.
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby Hop Sing » Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:55 am

This subject has been discussed ad nauseam, and it’s really simple. Until we win an actual big game and generate excitement, we aren’t going to pack the stadium. We had a chance to do that this year and whiffed. This is a good team that seems to be getting better each week, but our conference opponents have been pitiful. We don’t know how good this team actually is, but the next 2 games will reveal much more.

I don’t know why any long time fan would be surprised about yesterday’s attendance. Yes the rain stopped before the game started, but come on.
Hop Sing
Varsity

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:44 am

Some of our most loyal fans that will show up no matter what the weather or the situation is, are non-alums. We need a creative, aggressive Marketing plan, to attract some of those people. As large as the Metroplex is, you don't really need a large percentage, to fill that place with people that love college football. The SMU alumni base and student enrollment, will not get it done. What's the definition of insanity?.... we have to make a Herculean effort, to attract the sidewalk fans.
ALEX LIFESON

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Oct 29, 2023 1:36 pm

Arkpony wrote:I attended most of the Pony Express days games and I don’t recall ever feeling dissatisfied with the attendance. I remember one game in Texas Stadium that Potts OVER sold the stadium. But I’m 86 now and perhaps my memory is failing.

We did fine when we played against the larger public schools but we struggled to half fill Texas Stadium in those days. In the '81 & '82 seasons when the Pony Express won back to back SWC Championships and were National Champs in some polls, we averaged only 33k and 36k, respectively and those numbers were bolstered by 50-65k crowds when we played Texas, A$M and Arkansas in Texas Stadium. We could have packed Ford Stadium for almost every game in those years but it might take a team that consistently competes for ACC titles and is ranked in the Top 10 (like we were in the early 80's) to draw those numbers to fill an expanded Ford.
Charleston Pony

PreviousNext

Return to Football