PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

New look Ponies

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

New look Ponies

Postby ClassOf81 » Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:02 pm

The more I think about it, the more excited I am about the upcoming season. I loved watching Keylon Kincade run, and he was a warrior for the Ponies. But the running game is going to have a totally different feel next year. Foy Munlin and Richuel Massey are much bigger than Kincade -- they look like heavyweights next to KK, and I hear they're faster. Munlin, in particular, is supposed to be a really punishing runner. I saw him run last year with the scout team a few times, and he was constantly blowing through guys like they weren't even there. And we all know how strong and fast Massey is. As much as we'll miss Kincade, I think the running game (especially with a stronger offensive line) will be even better.

I don't know how the new receivers look. I've read what everyone else has read about how big Bobby Chase is, and hopefully Reynaldo Pellerin can develop quickly into a playmaking downfield threat. I can only assume that adding the new JUCOs to the QB race is going to make them all better.

Defensively, I'm eager to see the new OLBs (Avery Cleveland and Cory Muse) play. I hear they're as fast as any LBs we've ever had back there.

My main concern at the moment is in the secondary, where we have a lot of players -- a lot of fast players -- but we lose so much experience with the departure of Jonas Rutledge and Ruben Moodley. But the one common theme with the new CBs (C.D. Moss, Ervin McGee, Charles Akinyemi, Fred Taylor, Anthony Barnett) is that they're all fast.

In the spring conditioning sessions (before the spring workouts that started this week), McGee took over as the fastest player on the team
ClassOf81
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Mar 21, 2004 5:38 pm

one thing Bennett is definitely doing is upgrading team speed. At some point, that will pay dividends. The question is: when? I'm looking for more "big plays" out of this year's offense because we certainly have more guys with breakaway speed. KK was a great warrior for us, but I can't get the image of his long run against UTEP, only to run out of gas and fumble at their 1 yd line, out of my head.

Gotta look at it this way...we CAN'T be worse on offense than we were the past 2 yrs...can we?
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby KnuckleStang » Sun Mar 21, 2004 5:56 pm

I'm hoping against hope for a breakout season in 2005. If we win 4 games next year, I will jump around like a drunk birthday-party clown.

You're right, CP, we can't get much worse on offense. Our O-line will have to improve rapidly, though, specifically our pass protection, if we think we are going to get any better. If not, Munlin, Massey, Martin, or any other "M" we can think of won't be able to save us.
Last edited by KnuckleStang on Sun Mar 21, 2004 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KnuckleStang
Hall of Famer

Postby Ponymon » Sun Mar 21, 2004 6:09 pm

The primary problem that we will have this year, as I see it, is our youth. We also must develop a quarterback that can make the plays necessary to win!
Ponymon
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMUFan » Sun Mar 21, 2004 6:40 pm

Chris Phillips was on the road to being a QB who can make those plays - he certainly showed flashes last year. But I'm hoping that one of the JUCO guys steps forward as the winner or co-winner of the QB race, allowing Phillips to mature for another year as he really learns the new system. Can you imagine how big and strong he'll be as a fifth-year senior, with a lot of starting experience under his belt? he's promising now, but he could be a real star then.

The offensive line will be better. Steve Reindl quietly was one of the best blockers we've had in a long time, and Sterling Harris was solid at RT, which became the most vital position when we switched to a lefty QB (Phillips). But having Boren, Peveto, Burley and the rest of the newcomers in there is a significant increase in size, and they're as strong as they are big. It's no longer a case of them growing into their roles. Sure, they need maturity (both physical and mental), but the size and strength are there.

I agree that the breakout season is going to be 2005, but I hope we win 4 this year, just to make Knucklestang go nuts. Sounds entertaining.
SMUFan
All-American

Postby DallasDiehard » Mon Mar 22, 2004 8:21 am

The increased offensive balance we'll have under Coach Burns is long overdue. It will be nice to see Munlin and Massey and Dorsey and whoever else runs the ball and not see the entire defense waiting for them at the line of scrimmage.

Early prediction based on whispers from practice: Foy Munlin will lead the WAC in rushing.
Rise up, Mustang Nation!
Go SMU!
DallasDiehard
Heisman

Postby JasonB » Mon Mar 22, 2004 1:52 pm

Anything else coming out of practice?

I really hope one of the JUCO QBs steps up and really challenges or gets the starting position. In my mind, any time existing starters are challenged for their spots, it is a sign that the team is improving. I would really like to see those challenges made at QB and WR this year.

I don't think any of us should go into next season hoping the O-Line will improve much. These guys might have talent, but experience is very important there, and we lost two seniors who were the best linemen we had. Replacing those guys with youth is going to be tough, and I think it is best to look at it as a "work in progress". I don't expect to see improvement in that area until 2005.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Corso » Mon Mar 22, 2004 10:46 pm

I do expect to see improvement on the offensive line. You're right that cohesiveness is more important on the offensive line than at any other spot, and maturity and experience are vital. To that end, there will be breakdowns in technique and communication as they get used to each other and to the blocking schemes being taught by Coach V. But we're also going to be much bigger and stronger there. There will be times when, even if the technique isn't exactly textbook, the bigger blockers will be able to shove a defensive line straight back. It might not lead to a 60-yard TD, but it will lead to more runs of 6 yards, 8 yards, 10 yards ....

As for the initial practices, here's what I've been told. Justin Boren seems entrenched in the starting lineup, and I expect him to stay there for four years. Ben Poynter has been a really pleasant surprise at OL and is getting much bigger and stronger, and could crack the rotation. The QBs, so far, seem about equal, as they all learn Coach Burns' offense. Former QB Duke Hassan has been getting some reps at WR (I don't know if that's a permanent move), and has more athleticism than many (including me) thought. Decent wheels, too. Munlin and Massey - especially Munlin - are running over defenders. Bobby Chase has made a bunch of really tough catches, but also has run some inaccurate routes (this offense is brand-new to everyone, not just the JUCO guys). Kieschnick, I gather, is adjusting well to the center spot. Townsend Hargis apparently plans to keep the RG job - word is he's been practicing well, and he seems eager to keep his job.

Defensively, the name that keeps getting mentioned to me is Charles Akinyemi. He's tiny, but I hear he's extremely strong and physical - I've heard he's already turned heads with big hits on Bobby Chase, Devin Lowery and on RBs - he makes his reads quick and gets up to the line and hits bigger than he looks. Just about every LB on the team has speed - we'll be a lot faster in the middle of the defense. Brandon Bonds apparently looks a lot more comfortable with a year under his belt. Adami is a given. Alvin Nnabuife is on the verge of break-out star recognition. Jamey Harper has worked harder this offseason than in years past, and I guess it's showing on the practice field. Fred Turner has worked his way into the CB rotation.

I hear Chris McMurtray is kicking a lot more consistently than he did last spring.
Corso
Hall of Famer

Postby Sixties SWC Fan » Mon Mar 22, 2004 10:50 pm

If the kind of talent Bennett used at K-State can be duplicated even partly, SMU football will be a factor in its conference race. I imagine he just needs some time, though I understand why that gets to be old to hear.
Sixties SWC Fan
Recruit

Re:

Postby buspen » Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:26 am

[quote="JasonB"]Anything else coming out of practice?

I really hope one of the JUCO QBs steps up and really challenges or gets the starting position. [quote]

I hear Eckert has established an early separation from the rest of the QB group. Munlin is performing as advertised. The remaining question mark is still the O-line.
buspen
Junior Varsity

Return to Football