PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Jennings

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Jennings

Postby mrydel » Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:38 am

ALEX LIFESON wrote:
mrydel wrote:
ALEX LIFESON wrote:[quote="CBpony"]Jennings has a higher ceiling than Stone and seems to have his head on straight. Stone was acting like a baby after getting pulled. I’m tired of Stone scrambling around in the backfield when the pocket is there. He thinks he’s Manziel but he’s nowhere as elusive

Stone got his bell rung, after getting sandwiched by two tacklers. As soon as the cobwebs cleared, he wanted back into the battle so bad, the doctors had to take his helmet away. I would hardly call that acting like a baby. I saw a fierce competitor, wanting to get back in the fight. Preston has cut back on the back-peddling, but, his shiftiness has avoided many sacks.
Well it did seem strange for him to stand behind the end zone watching the game and apparently having to be talked into rejoining his teammates. That, of course is just conjecture, but it did give an appearance of pouting.

He went to the locker room to get examined.[/quote]I don’t know if you were there or watched on tv. On tv they showed him, after being examined in the locker room just standing alone behind the goal post watching the game. Shortly thereafter some team rep or coach was talking to him while still there alone, and subsequently he returned to the sideline.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby HubbaHubba » Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:55 am

I wouldn't judge him by his apparent actions at that time. He wanted to return to the game but had just been looking pretty confused and disoriented coming off the field. Not sure how completely the cobwebs had cleared by the time he was standing at the back of the end zone. Wouldn't be surprised if he was still somewhat impaired.
HubbaHubba
All-American

Postby mrydel » Tue Nov 07, 2023 10:56 am

I am very pro Preston. I just thought it was a questionable look for him to be there as he was.
mrydel

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:37 am

Once Preston rejoined the team I kept watching for him to be supportive of Jennings but couldn't tell from what they showed on the TV broadcast
Charleston Pony

Postby AusTxPony » Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:42 am

There was a shot of Preston and KHJ high-fiving at the end of the game as camera panned the sidelines.
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Nov 07, 2023 12:01 pm

AusTxPony wrote:There was a shot of Preston and KHJ high-fiving at the end of the game as camera panned the sidelines.

That's good to hear because the most important thing was to get this win and once Preston knew he wasn't going to be allowed back in, I would hope he would offer whatever help and support he could to Jennings and be happy about any success Jennings had.
Charleston Pony

Postby mrydel » Tue Nov 07, 2023 12:22 pm

I did not have the impression he has any negative thoughts towards Jennings. Just seemed to be pouting. Of course that is merely an uneducated opinion
mrydel

Postby PlanoStang » Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:27 am

I think he might’ve just got interested in a play and stopped to watch it, and stayed for awhile. Maybe he felt too woozy to walk to the bench, and wanted to watch. Pouting would be refusing to come back out of the locker room, and sulking alone.
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SmooBoy » Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:25 am

I was sitting two rows behind smoo bench and PS was DEFINITELY being a cheerleader and a great teammate to all of the guys, including Jennings. While he still has much to prove, he showed some true leadership by being excited and staying in the game from the sidelines.
SmooBoy

Postby 1983 Cotton Bowl » Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:52 am

The first time I watched the game, I had the same impression that Stone was being melodramatic and pouting. But when I watched again (I apparently have spare time), it really didn't look like much. . . at least what I could see on TV. I don't think it was a big deal.
1983 Cotton Bowl
Heisman

Postby JasonB » Wed Nov 08, 2023 12:58 pm

I thought he ran to the locker room and was yelling for trainers to come with him so that he could get checked out as soon as possible, and then he just stopped there to watch on his way out of the locker room, probably after being told he couldn't go back in. No ill intent behind it at all, and as a QB, that is the perspective he is used to watching the game from.
JasonB

Postby PNW_Stang » Wed Nov 08, 2023 1:29 pm

Agree with JasonB. I could see how someone could read it negatively, but I think Preston loves the team, SMU, and wants to win conference so bad he was stressed out about being benched and probably delirious, but also stood in the end zone because he is so invested in the team and couldn’t be pulled away. After he returned to the sideline, he seemed to be a great cheerleader and full of excitement for Jennings and the win.

That said, Jennings really does strike me as an “ice in his veins” and not at all ever emotional kind of guy. Seems so poised and focused, no panic.
PNW_Stang
Varsity

Postby PonyPride » Wed Nov 08, 2023 2:06 pm

I'm on the sideline at every game. When Stone got hurt, he went to the injury tent and emerged very quickly and without his helmet. He did seem surprised when he was sent to the locker room for further examination. He protested for a second, but I didn't see it as pouting at all — he struck me as a competitive guy whose team was involved in a very close game, and he wanted to be a part of it. He sprinted to the locker room, presumably because he was hoping for a quick answer so he could return.

I didn't see him emerge from the locker room — I was at the other end of the field, watching the play when he returned — so I didn't see him behind the end zone at all. What I saw was a teammate who was animated and energetic and enthusiastically supporting Jennings and the rest of the guys with whom he interacted.

Also, in the video of post-game speech to the team, Stone can be seen eagerly congratulating Jennings and right in the middle of those singing the fight song when Elijah Roberts smashed the rock. He might have been disappointed to sit out the rest of the game — any competitive player would — but everything I saw indicated he was fully engaged and eagerly supporting the team.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride

Postby Arkpony » Wed Nov 08, 2023 2:22 pm

In a way I kinda hope Jennings does start Friday night. I would like to see him in that role for a change. I think he is very capable to run the team.
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby gostangs » Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:57 am

There are things to be concerned about regarding Preston and his continuing development - but being a great teammate and a great lockeroom culture guy is not anything to be worried about.
gostangs

PreviousNext

Return to Football