PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Jennings

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Jennings

Postby ponyte » Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:01 am

Hat tip to Jennings. Two seasons in a row where he has come in and preserved victories. He did add a little spark and different wrinkle to the O when we had been stagnant most of last night.

Loved his pose and confidence. He runs that O like he has done it game in and game out.

Jennigs has been a huge asset for us. Not often a team has such a capable back up QB He could have transferred and started for a lot of other teams. Glad we have him.
ponyte
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Jennings

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:19 am

Hope we can keep him
Charleston Pony

Postby peruna81 » Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:07 am

Loved the scramble to the LOS and quick flip to the abandoned RB when the safety came up. He provides a mobile wrinkle that PS does not.

Speaking of Stone, while I admire his grit, SLIDE...
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Topper » Sun Nov 05, 2023 2:11 pm

Jennings puts a lot of zip on that ball. He moves well in and out of the pocket. Once he has gained more experience with our schemes he will be dangerous. I understand he has a great work ethic and is very focused. His passing style reminds me of the great Don King.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby giacfsp » Sun Nov 05, 2023 3:35 pm

That twisting, almost underhand throw while Jennings was incredible. It's hard enough to be accurate when throwing from a normal position. That dude is impressive.
giacfsp
Heisman

Postby PonyGirl » Sun Nov 05, 2023 6:25 pm

Who was the last backup QB we had who was good as Jennings? I can't think of one since I've followed the team.
PonyGirl
Varsity

Postby peruna81 » Sun Nov 05, 2023 6:52 pm

PonyGirl wrote:Who was the last backup QB we had who was good as Jennings? I can't think of one since I've followed the team.

Don King...but I suspect that was a good bit before you "followed the team". :wink:

Jennings provides a different look than Preston Stone...both are capable passers, but Jennings seems to be able to improvise on the fly. The scramble and then flip to the open RB was something we haven't seen since King.

Good omens out of a poor performance against Rice.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Nov 05, 2023 6:53 pm

PonyGirl wrote:Who was the last backup QB we had who was good as Jennings? I can't think of one since I've followed the team.

Stone backed up Mordecai but played as little as Jennings has
Charleston Pony

Postby mustangxc » Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:23 pm

Maybe David Page for Josh McCown?
mustangxc

Postby orguy » Tue Nov 07, 2023 2:56 am

Charleston Pony wrote:Hope we can keep him

My worry.
orguy
All-American

Postby CBpony » Tue Nov 07, 2023 5:45 am

Jennings has a higher ceiling than Stone and seems to have his head on straight. Stone was acting like a baby after getting pulled. I’m tired of Stone scrambling around in the backfield when the pocket is there. He thinks he’s Manziel but he’s nowhere as elusive
CBpony
Junior Varsity

Postby HubbaHubba » Tue Nov 07, 2023 7:29 am

If Stone is out for a while I'm sure soon, Padilla will be everybody's favorite player.
HubbaHubba
All-American

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Tue Nov 07, 2023 7:39 am

CBpony wrote:Jennings has a higher ceiling than Stone and seems to have his head on straight. Stone was acting like a baby after getting pulled. I’m tired of Stone scrambling around in the backfield when the pocket is there. He thinks he’s Manziel but he’s nowhere as elusive

Stone got his bell rung, after getting sandwiched by two tacklers. As soon as the cobwebs cleared, he wanted back into the battle so bad, the doctors had to take his helmet away. I would hardly call that acting like a baby. I saw a fierce competitor, wanting to get back in the fight. Preston has cut back on the back-peddling, but, his shiftiness has avoided many sacks.
ALEX LIFESON

Postby mrydel » Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:01 am

ALEX LIFESON wrote:
CBpony wrote:Jennings has a higher ceiling than Stone and seems to have his head on straight. Stone was acting like a baby after getting pulled. I’m tired of Stone scrambling around in the backfield when the pocket is there. He thinks he’s Manziel but he’s nowhere as elusive

Stone got his bell rung, after getting sandwiched by two tacklers. As soon as the cobwebs cleared, he wanted back into the battle so bad, the doctors had to take his helmet away. I would hardly call that acting like a baby. I saw a fierce competitor, wanting to get back in the fight. Preston has cut back on the back-peddling, but, his shiftiness has avoided many sacks.
Well it did seem strange for him to stand behind the end zone watching the game and apparently having to be talked into rejoining his teammates. That, of course is just conjecture, but it did give an appearance of pouting.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:11 am

mrydel wrote:
ALEX LIFESON wrote:

Well it did seem strange for him to stand behind the end zone watching the game and apparently having to be talked into rejoining his teammates. That, of course is just conjecture, but it did give an appearance of pouting.

He went to the locker room to get examined.
ALEX LIFESON

Next

Return to Football