PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Mean Green with Envy

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Mean Green with Envy

Postby Topper » Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:32 am

Caught this post on the UNT board:

"Some of you seemed to think NT had a real chance against one of the best teams that can be bought.

I don't like NT losing to anyone, but SMU probably bothers me the less. The average starting SMU player probably is paid more than NT's average coach.

I don't care if NT ever plays SMU again in anything. The Mustangs can enjoy their home crowds that will probably be less than 5,000 fans and their away following that will number less than 500.

In fact if I was an AD of a Texas school, I would boycott any games with the ponies. Why help a school/team that has enough money to buy anything including most of the players that are being recruited."

Interesting that the UNT supporter believes that SMU is the only team in Texas with solid NIL programs.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Re: Mean Green with Envy

Postby peruna81 » Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:40 am

This isn't 1980...it is alright to pay players, and even recruit other team's players to some degree.

Texas boycotted A$M when they left the conference...then joined the SEC when they saw Texas A&M matching them in revenue and recruits. Who did THAT 'boycott' hinder?

NTSU fans...gotta love them. Envy is one of the seven deadly sins for a reason.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyME » Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:56 am

No surprise here and I’m sure this is the sentiment of many NT fans (and others). NIL is certainly a factor but the reality is than many of these players chose SMU because it’s a homecoming for them, they get to live in Dallas and earn a degree from an academically prestigious school…and play for a coach that apparently everyone loves. And now ACC/P5 competition, so there’s that. Let them eat cake.
PonyME
Scout Team

Postby Mustangs_Maroons » Sat Nov 11, 2023 12:10 pm

Sounds like they’re already crying about it. :lol:

These losers act like any football player would choose UNT over SMU. When you add in every other factor that SMU has over their community college, it’s obvious the talent disparity. The aggies pay their head coach $9.5mm per year, plus whatever the total cost is of their coaching staff and their NIL funding, and it will make you blush. It’s the game. Put up or shut up. Instead of complaining like little brats, play the game to win now that there’s a chance to be more competitive. Their shallow, superficial argument full of envy doesn’t surprise me.
Mustangs_Maroons
Heisman

Postby TidePony » Sat Nov 11, 2023 12:56 pm

TidePony
Hall of Famer

Postby mtrout » Sat Nov 11, 2023 12:59 pm

They should have bigger things to worry about…like being 3-7
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby crazy horse » Sat Nov 11, 2023 1:59 pm

TidePony wrote:Image

Its that Tropical Jasmine scent that does it for me!
"Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it."

New post Rhett Lashlee - College Football's Coach Of The Year
crazy horse
All-American

Postby crazy horse » Sat Nov 11, 2023 2:11 pm

https://twitter.com/SickosCommittee/sta ... 1751481846

Did anyone catch this moment of a mother with divided loyalties - a daughter in UNT gear, and a much happier one in SMU. I thought the image was good for UNT, as the score at that moment gave them hope that they had a chance.

And then the Denton paper gave their eulogy, with Brett Vito's 5 thoughts on the loss - and some great Veteran's Day savings at Albertsons!

https://twitter.com/brettvito/status/17 ... 2078952668

I do hope this is our last game with UNT for a time. If TCU does quit the Iron Skillet, maybe we do a home/home with them. But no long term commitment. There are so many other teams we could be playing OOC. I would love to play Arkansas again for instance.
"Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it."

crazy horse
All-American

Postby Topper » Sat Nov 11, 2023 5:39 pm

crazy horse wrote:https://twitter.com/SickosCommittee/status/1723174651751481846

Did anyone catch this moment of a mother with divided loyalties - a daughter in UNT gear, and a much happier one in SMU. I thought the image was good for UNT, as the score at that moment gave them hope that they had a chance.

And then the Denton paper gave their eulogy, with Brett Vito's 5 thoughts on the loss - and some great Veteran's Day savings at Albertsons!

I do hope this is our last game with UNT for a time. If TCU does quit the Iron Skillet, maybe we do a home/home with them. But no long term commitment. There are so many other teams we could be playing OOC. I would love to play Arkansas again for instance.

I didn't learn from the article but with Campbell's soup @ 99 cents a can I'm on my way to Denton!
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby BUS » Sat Nov 11, 2023 5:58 pm

Same price at Dallas K. Roger.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:42 pm

With more than 6 times the enrollment SMU has, you would think UNT could put together a very competitive collective of their own and for all their criticizing SMU for it's lack of fan support, relatively speaking UNT's support is even worse than ours. At least they've gotten into a pretty good conference in the AAC and that should help them down the road
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby crazy horse » Sun Nov 12, 2023 6:47 pm

I will take the abuse from TCU, as they fill their stadium even with their small enrollment.

But you are 100% correct on UNT. By any objective measure, SMU does better when it comes to attendance. I would dare say if we had 47k students, Ford would be sold out for every game. Even counting notoriously ambivalent grad students, 12k (7k undergrad), we've averaged 23k against one of the weakest schedules we've had in years!

But SMU is winning and improving. And next year, we will entertain some exciting opponents. I will be shocked if we drop below a 30k average next year. Houston Christian is the only home game on the schedule that might see a dip in attendance.

And my gosh - what else is there to do in Denton on a Saturday? Its not like there are a plethora of entertainment options.

crazy horse
All-American

Postby Topper » Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:27 pm

crazy horse wrote:I will take the abuse from TCU, as they fill their stadium even with their small enrollment.

But you are 100% correct on UNT. By any objective measure, SMU does better when it comes to attendance. I would dare say if we had 47k students, Ford would be sold out for every game. Even counting notoriously ambivalent grad students, 12k (7k undergrad), we've averaged 23k against one of the weakest schedules we've had in years!

But SMU is winning and improving. And next year, we will entertain some exciting opponents. I will be shocked if we drop below a 30k average next year. Houston Christian is the only home game on the schedule that might see a dip in attendance.

And my gosh - what else is there to do in Denton on a Saturday? Its not like there are a plethora of entertainment options.

.Many of their students commute from Dallas and Tarrant counties. It's a bit of an inconvenience to make that drive again on the weekend. Especially to watch a less than average team.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby crazy horse » Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:03 am

Topper wrote:
crazy horse wrote:I will take the abuse from TCU, as they fill their stadium even with their small enrollment.

.Many of their students commute from Dallas and Tarrant counties. It's a bit of an inconvenience to make that drive again on the weekend. Especially to watch a less than average team.

I thought they had finally broken free of their "commuter" legacy. This was the latest I could find from Wikipedia (2018):

15.5% of students, or 5,620, live in on-campus residence halls. In addition, 37.3%, or 13,494, live within the city of Denton while 4,021, or 11.1% live outside of the city of Denton but within Denton County and 36.1% or 13,043 students live outside of Denton County.[5]

I found in another place that on campus beds are up over 6k. So your point is solid. Its still in practical terms a commuter school, with comparable numbers to SMU living on campus. With so many living in Denton County, you would think they could still consistently draw at least 20k to games.

I can't imagine being in college and not attending football and basketball games at a FBS school. I even attended some women's events and a soccer game - and I have no interest in soccer.

crazy horse
All-American

Postby highlander » Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:51 am

crazy horse wrote:https://twitter.com/SickosCommittee/status/1723174651751481846

I want to play BAYLOR again!!!
highlander
Varsity

Return to Football