PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

\"My awful saturday night\" by Dooby

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Postby Mike Damone » Mon Mar 22, 2004 3:32 pm

Accounting is a five year program anyway. This sounds like bull.

And his accounting firm payed for him to go the Darden MBA program for two years in Charlottesville, Virginia!?! That's extemely generous. Did he transfer to their office up there for those two years. Do they have an office up there?
Mike Damone
All-American

Postby EastStang » Mon Mar 22, 2004 3:46 pm

So, let me get this straight, Major Applewhite wants to be a doctor and has another year of eligibility and has a decent GPA but he bombed on his MCAT's and could get into Juarez Medical School, but not UT, so UT medical school would let him in so that he could play football at UT another year? I don't think so, nor would UT law school. Top 10 programs are Top 10 because they can be selective. Darden is a fine Business School and probably as good as SMU, but they have a different focus than SMU. UVa is far from most business centers (at least two and a half hours), so the school must focus on resident students (Lee Raker, Ralph Sampson's teammate, went there for his fifth year of eligibility). SMU on the other hand is in a major metropolitan area and its student population for MBAs comes from local businesses. Thus the requirements must meet the school's business plan.
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Mike Damone » Mon Mar 22, 2004 3:57 pm

UVA's Darden School of Business is higher ranked than SMU's. It is extremely well respected and probably almost as expensive. I find it very hard to believe that a company would send an employee to a two-year MBA program and pay for it without them having worked a single day for the company. And, I guess, not requiring him to work for the two years he is getting the MBA either. I also question UVA taking someone with zero work experince, from out of state, and half their degree from a JC.
Mike Damone
All-American

Postby Dooby » Mon Mar 22, 2004 4:33 pm

This is what Page did. Here:

http://www.commerce.virginia.edu/academic_programs/E&Y/E&Yoverview.htm

It is not Darden, but it is UVA. And it looks like a M.S. and not an MBA. I do not know, nor care, what the difference is. Point is the same.
Last edited by Dooby on Mon Mar 22, 2004 4:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Mike Damone » Mon Mar 22, 2004 4:42 pm

Dooby, that makes much more sense than what you were actually accusing SMU of doing. An MSA and MBA are two totally diiferent things. A Masters of Science of Accounting (MSA) is bascially the completion of 36 hours (give or take a few) of accounting. This is the amount needed to sit for the CPA. This is NOT AN MBA like you said. SMU graduates probaly 40-50 MSA students every year and it requires basically a fifth year of school. I would be shocked a single one of SMU's MSA students have a single year of work experience so the Dean would have never ever told Page he needed 2 years of work experince. When I was in school there were many football players that took advantage of their fifth year to accomplish an MSA degree.
Mike Damone
All-American

Postby register » Thu Mar 25, 2004 12:27 pm

Mike damone is right. Dave was admitted to the MSA program and choose to go to virginia, because EY would pay for school and pay him a salary as well. The issue was never that he couldnt get in to the SMU MSA program rather a financial decision.
MSA is a one year program that includes MBA classes and accounting classes.
register

Previous

Return to Football