PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

All-conference?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

All-conference?

Postby Hilltopper » Sun Nov 19, 2023 4:14 pm

Yes, it's a little premature, and we haven't seen Tulane, UTSA or Navy (yet). But we have seen a lot of teams and 7 games for us. During the game yesterday, I started to think about who deserves all-AAC honors. I WANT every spot to be a Mustang, but that's not happening, of course.

No-brainers:
R.J. Maryland
Elijah Roberts
Justin Osborne
Jonathan McGill

Deserving:
Collin Rogers
Marcus Bryant
Jordan Miller
Chales Woods

Would be nice, but lots of competition:
Rooster
Jake Bailey
Kobe Wilson

I think the depth comes into play. So many receivers and defensive guys getting minutes that they're not piling up the stats needed.
Hilltopper
All-American

Re: All-conference?

Postby JasonB » Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:26 pm

For first team, the No-brainers you have are good. Rogers I think doesn't have enough opportunities, maybe HM. The other OL I think will be Hickman, I don't think we get 3 linemen on the first team. Both Bryant and White will be listed on 2nd or 3rd/HM. Stone will be HM. The RBs and WRs are too distributed to get honors. Roberts for sure on the DL and then either Chatman or Miller to give us two on the first team. The other will be on the second team. Ahmad Walker at LB will be first team, I think, and Wilson shows up on second team/HM. Woods has a shot at first team at one corner, but he just doesn't get tested a ton. We might see Megginson as HM. Yes on McGill at S first team, but I would not be surprised to see Sanders or NWO slide in there as well , if not first team then second.

If we win out, because of both offense and defense being at the top of conference, we are going to be all over those lists.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonyPride » Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:06 pm

You're right, JasonB, about the RBs and WRs (and maybe all of the defensive positions) being so deep that nobody has put up gaudy stats.

You're right that Hickman deserves to be in there somewhere. There is a numbers game, as always, so I wonder if SMU will get two first-teamers at any position group, but Hickman deserves a spot after what has been a terrific season.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride

Postby BUS » Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:58 pm

PonyPride is correct about gaudy numbers. Best number the team can do is - Win the game Saturday and then win the conference championship. That would be gaudy.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby BUS » Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:58 pm

PonyPride is correct about gaudy numbers. Best number the team can do is - Win the game Saturday and then win the conference championship. That would be gaudy.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby Pony4Life » Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:01 pm

I like JasonB's optimism, but I can't see that many defensive players making it, because the tackles and other stats are spread out among too many players.

Then again, if we make it to ... and win ... the AAC championship game, I don't care even a little about who makes all-conference.

Team sport. Win the games.
Fountain of youth
Giver of truth
Six parts gin
One part vermouth
Pony4Life
Heisman

Return to Football