PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Arkansas

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Arkansas

Postby Topper » Fri Nov 24, 2023 7:20 pm

Do you think that it has ever dawned on Arkansas that their relevance in football depended on their membership in the old SWC? Guaranteed road games to DFW and Houston annually plus the hype around the nice rivalry they developed with UT gave them a lot of recruiting leverage in Texas. Now, with the exception of their annual game against A&M they are an afterthought when it comes to HS recruits down here. They saw $$ signs and undoubtedly they have been financially more successful in the SEC but to what end? Their stadium was half empty today.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Re: Arkansas

Postby Graceland Tar Heel » Fri Nov 24, 2023 7:35 pm

Topper wrote:Do you think that it has ever dawned on Arkansas that their relevance in football depended on their membership in the old SWC? Guaranteed road games to DFW and Houston annually plus the hype around the nice rivalry they developed with UT gave them a lot of recruiting leverage in Texas. Now, with the exception of their annual game against A&M they are an afterthought when it comes to HS recruits down here. They saw $$ signs and undoubtedly they have been financially more successful in the SEC but to what end? Their stadium was half empty today.

One of my best friends is a born and raised AR native with 2 U of Ark degrees. He knows that. he's now hoping that adding Texas will mean more exposure for Arkansas in TX and thus more top TX talent.

If I were AR AD, I would augment that by playing a non-SEC TX school every year. Because the ACC is bigger than the Big 12 will be minus OU and UT, I would want that team to be SMU as much as possible. And SMU should want to playa. regional foe in the SEC as often as possible.
Graceland Tar Heel
Junior Varsity

Postby Topper » Fri Nov 24, 2023 9:04 pm

Graceland Tar Heel wrote:
Topper wrote:Do you think that it has ever dawned on Arkansas that their relevance in football depended on their membership in the old SWC? Guaranteed road games to DFW and Houston annually plus the hype around the nice rivalry they developed with UT gave them a lot of recruiting leverage in Texas. Now, with the exception of their annual game against A&M they are an afterthought when it comes to HS recruits down here. They saw $$ signs and undoubtedly they have been financially more successful in the SEC but to what end? Their stadium was half empty today.

One of my best friends is a born and raised AR native with 2 U of Ark degrees. He knows that. he's now hoping that adding Texas will mean more exposure for Arkansas in TX and thus more top TX talent.

If I were AR AD, I would augment that by playing a non-SEC TX school every year. Because the ACC is bigger than the Big 12 will be minus OU and UT, I would want that team to be SMU as much as possible. And SMU should want to playa. regional foe in the SEC as often as possible.

During our most desperate years we had a very successful nonconference series with Arkansas. Then Jerry Jones offered them an annual game at Jerryworld and we were out of the equation. Either way the media in Texas covered Arkansas extensively before the SWC divorce.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby peruna81 » Fri Nov 24, 2023 9:26 pm

Aggie/Arky is going to go back to home and home directly....there may be an opportunity there for JerryWorld and SMU.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyKris89 » Sat Nov 25, 2023 2:03 am

from a purely football standpoint, if time portal was available, I think they would like a do-over. But at least, looking at it now, they can breathe a sigh of relief that they are not in the Little 16 or whatever they are called. at some point would be cool to renew the rivalry.
Beat the hell out of anybody!
PonyKris89
Heisman

Postby Graceland Tar Heel » Sat Nov 25, 2023 12:46 pm

peruna81 wrote:Aggie/Arky is going to go back to home and home directly....there may be an opportunity there for JerryWorld and SMU.

SMU should push for that. Also against Aggie. UT gets major Dallas exposure vs. OU, but A&M gets none un less it schedules SMU or TCU.
Graceland Tar Heel
Junior Varsity

Return to Football