PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Will there be a flyover tomorrow?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Will there be a flyover tomorrow?

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Fri Nov 24, 2023 10:06 pm

Anyone know if there will be a flyover tomorrow before the NAVY game?

C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Re: Will there be a flyover tomorrow?

Postby PlanoStang » Sat Nov 25, 2023 8:50 am

Mmmmmm, could be. It’s a short hop from Carswell.
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mrydel » Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:09 am

The one they had when I was in attendance, which I believe was the first, was so low I felt as if I could have touched one of the jets. It was tremendously loud and the stadium shook. It is my understanding that after that there were complaints by the area residents as to the noise and I assume pictures falling off of walls from shaking. The next one we had, the planes went by so high that they could have been mistaken for jets landing at Love Field. I think the area folks spoke their minds and I feel like if there is one it will not be as spectacular as was the first one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PK » Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:31 am

mrydel wrote:The one they had when I was in attendance, which I believe was the first, was so low I felt as if I could have touched one of the jets. It was tremendously loud and the stadium shook. It is my understanding that after that there were complaints by the area residents as to the noise and I assume pictures falling off of walls from shaking. The next one we had, the planes went by so high that they could have been mistaken for jets landing at Love Field. I think the area folks spoke their minds and I feel like if there is one it will not be as spectacular as was the first one.

I remember that one. They came in about press box high.They came in so slow I had to wonder how they stayed in the air. Absolutely the best flyover ever.
They came around for for a second flyover and left with their after burners on which is what made it so loud.
This was all happening right after 9/11 which freaked the HP folks out.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby utp@smu » Sat Nov 25, 2023 2:08 pm

Is there video of this?

What year what game?
utp@smu
Recruit

Postby PonyPride » Sat Nov 25, 2023 5:51 pm

mrydel wrote:The one they had when I was in attendance, which I believe was the first, was so low I felt as if I could have touched one of the jets. It was tremendously loud and the stadium shook. It is my understanding that after that there were complaints by the area residents as to the noise and I assume pictures falling off of walls from shaking. The next one we had, the planes went by so high that they could have been mistaken for jets landing at Love Field. I think the area folks spoke their minds and I feel like if there is one it will not be as spectacular as was the first one.

I remember one, maybe 15 or 20 years ago. I was up on the roof, talking to one of the camera guys, and he said "turn around." I turned and saw a glow coming directly out of downtown, so low that it looked like it might hit GJF Stadium ... and I actually ducked.
I assume the camera guy is still laughing.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride

Postby mrydel » Sat Nov 25, 2023 6:03 pm

PonyPride wrote:

I remember one, maybe 15 or 20 years ago. I was up on the roof, talking to one of the camera guys, and he said "turn around." I turned and saw a glow coming directly out of downtown, so low that it looked like it might hit GJF Stadium ... and I actually ducked.
I assume the camera guy is still laughing.
That would have been it because they quit allowing them to do it that low after that night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Return to Football