PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Still no CFP Top-25

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Still no CFP Top-25

Postby highlander » Wed Nov 29, 2023 3:13 pm

Dukie wrote:https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/38999326/cfp-rankings-anger-index-conference-championship-week-2023

"We're not going to argue with Liberty again -- and in truth, the Flames get a genuine test against New Mexico State in the Conference USA title game, so a win would certainly make them worthy of consideration for a New Year's Six bowl.

"But simply being ranked has value for teams outside the Power 5, and yet only Tulane and Liberty made the cut.

"How is Tulane only No. 22? The Green Wave lost one game, without starting QB Michael Pratt, against the No. 11 team in the country.

"Toledo? SMU? James Madison? Not a whiff.

"And yet here is Tennessee, checking in at No. 21, despite losing by a combined 71 points to the three best teams it played ... despite losing by 13 to 5-7 Florida ... despite its best win coming against Kentucky (by six!) ... Tennessee is in ahead of all those other teams."

I just can't wrap my head around the idea that Liberty's magnum opus will be defeating NMST at home, and that might trump us going and winning at Tulane with our QB2. All the while, Liberty will not have played any team from the top SEVEN conferences.
highlander
Varsity

Postby shadowman » Wed Nov 29, 2023 3:33 pm

3-9 Sam Houston State should have beat them. They had 1st and goal from Liberty 3 yard line with
a minute to go and could not punch it in. Lost by 5 points.

Really hoping NMSU can beat them, I think they have a decent shot.
Probaly won't happen...BUT...maybe it will!!
shadowman
Hall of Famer

Postby 1983 Cotton Bowl » Wed Nov 29, 2023 4:04 pm

ShantyBoy wrote:Just win and take the title of this crappy conference on the way out with us. Can’t worry about things out of our control.

Personally, I've kind of liked the AAC. Not complaining about going to a P-5 conference of course, but the AAC has been a good home for SMU for the past decade. Losing UH, Cincy, and UCF this year certainly hurt though.

Re. our loss to TCU, I lived in Fort Worth for 7 years and I know more than a few Froggies who would be absolutely thrilled for SMU to beat Tulane and then get dissed by the NY6 bowls. . . even though they claim that TCU is just on a different level now and doesn't really consider SMU a rival anymore.
1983 Cotton Bowl
Heisman

Postby ShantyBoy » Wed Nov 29, 2023 4:07 pm

Agreed. I should have said this “now” crappy conference.
ShantyBoy
Junior Varsity

Postby HubbaHubba » Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:22 pm

1983 Cotton Bowl wrote:Re. our loss to TCU, I lived in Fort Worth for 7 years and I know more than a few Froggies who would be absolutely thrilled for SMU to beat Tulane and then get dissed by the NY6 bowls. . . even though they claim that TCU is just on a different level now and doesn't really consider SMU a rival anymore.

Tell your froggy friends they are right. TCU is on a different level now :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .
HubbaHubba
All-American

Postby highlander » Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:12 pm

1983 Cotton Bowl wrote:
ShantyBoy wrote:Re. our loss to TCU, I lived in Fort Worth for 7 years and I know more than a few Froggies who would be absolutely thrilled for SMU to beat Tulane and then get dissed by the NY6 bowls. . . even though they claim that TCU is just on a different level now and doesn't really consider SMU a rival anymore.

I understand hoping your hated opponent loses. But hoping that they win and then get screwed by the system??? That is a whole other level of crazy.
highlander
Varsity

Postby 1983 Cotton Bowl » Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:38 pm

When Sonny made those snarky remarks about SMU in his post-game presser after they beat us, those comments weren't really intended for the media in the room. I think in part he was speaking to recruits. But more importantly he was speaking directly to the TCU fanbase and boosters. They eat that stuff up about SMU with a spoon, regardless of what they say. The irony of course is that if TCU people really did believe they've moved so far past ole SMU and we're no longer worth their concern, it wouldn't be necessary for their coaches to make those kinds of cracks about us to stroke their egos.
Last edited by 1983 Cotton Bowl on Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1983 Cotton Bowl
Heisman

Postby 1983 Cotton Bowl » Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:38 pm

HubbaHubba wrote:
1983 Cotton Bowl wrote:Re. our loss to TCU, I lived in Fort Worth for 7 years and I know more than a few Froggies who would be absolutely thrilled for SMU to beat Tulane and then get dissed by the NY6 bowls. . . even though they claim that TCU is just on a different level now and doesn't really consider SMU a rival anymore.

Tell your froggy friends they are right. TCU is on a different level now :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

True story. . . but I never said they were my friends. :D
1983 Cotton Bowl
Heisman

Postby Dukie » Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:21 pm

highlander wrote:
1983 Cotton Bowl wrote:
ShantyBoy wrote:Re. our loss to TCU, I lived in Fort Worth for 7 years and I know more than a few Froggies who would be absolutely thrilled for SMU to beat Tulane and then get dissed by the NY6 bowls. . . even though they claim that TCU is just on a different level now and doesn't really consider SMU a rival anymore.

I understand hoping your hated opponent loses. But hoping that they win and then get screwed by the system??? That is a whole other level of crazy.

Eh, they're just looking for a silver lining if SMU does win a conference championship.
Dukie
Heisman

Previous

Return to Football