PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Sonny Dykes

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Sonny Dykes

Postby orguy » Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:56 pm

SD is a Judas of the first order. Leave for Tcwho? what a charlatan.
Hope he gets fired next season.
Last edited by orguy on Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
orguy
All-American

Postby MDJenkins » Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:30 pm

If we would have beaten bowl ineligible TCU, we would all be booking flights to AZ. In hindsight, it was a horrible loss.
MDJenkins
Scout Team

Postby Topper » Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:00 pm

orguy wrote:SD is a Judas of the first order. Leave for Tcwho? what a charlatan.
Hope that charlatan gets fired next season.

Calm down. We don't want to provoke Froggie Fever out of hibernation.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby crazy horse » Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:52 pm

Any good Sonny might have accomplished as HC at SMU was negated by not only his departure to our primary rivals (still shocked TCU hired him, but now amused by it), but more importantly his attempts to take players with him, thus setting back the school he supposedly loved. He is an unethical SNAKE. And I am being kind compared to what some who REALLY knew him have said.

He could have easily kept his decision to himself, gave his best for the rest of the season, and then departed in an honorable fashion. And most fans would have a far better attitude towards him. He did none of that. And his comments since then seem to indicate he took great pleasure in hurting SMU. Most notably his push to end the Iron Skillet.

I see things slightly different. He WANTED to hurt SMU. Why? God only knows. But thankfully, his departure was a Blessing. Because Lashlee is one heck of a coach and a darn good recruiter - 10x the coach Sonny will EVER be. And in my book, gets ALL the credit for this year, as he was here also in the very beginning, and did the most to salvage and rebuild what Sonny damaged.

Once Sonny is fired in Ft Worth, he will be all but forgotten in DFW. People will be asking, "Who?"
"Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it."

New post Rhett Lashlee - College Football's Coach Of The Year
crazy horse
All-American

Postby Mustangs_Maroons » Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:05 pm

I don’t like the toads one bit, but I will say this: we were not playing our best when we lost and they were peaking at that time. Then, they played with I think was a freshman QB and still have some teams a run for their money, including UT. They’re 28th in FPI, the loss at the time was not as bad. The buffoons on the committee and lazy and don’t really analyze these things. By any stat, SMU is head and shoulders above this Liberty team.
Mustangs_Maroons
Heisman

Postby highlander » Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:42 pm

Mustangs_Maroons wrote:I don’t like the toads one bit, but I will say this: we were not playing our best when we lost and they were peaking at that time. Then, they played with I think was a freshman QB and still have some teams a run for their money, including UT. They’re 28th in FPI, the loss at the time was not as bad. The buffoons on the committee and lazy and don’t really analyze these things. By any stat, SMU is head and shoulders above this Liberty team.

I think you got it right: I think they are just stupid and lazy.

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." It's a joke, but I think it's applicable here.
highlander
Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:58 am

We need to get over the Sonny hate and move on, although it would be nice to kick TCU's arse next year before the series comes to a pause. Sonny claimed his reason for leaving was that he "had taken SMU as far as he could" thinking we were forever relegated to G5 status. He had to feel pretty good after beating SMU his 1st year at TCU and then capturing lightning in a bottle and taking TCU to the National Championship game, even after being humiliated by Georgia in that game.

It remains to be seen whether SMU will ever participate in the CFP at some point in the future. Let's hope Coach Lashlee can be the guy who leads SMU to that level but let's all be honest...reaching the National Championship game will be a very tall order...especially with an expanded playoff format.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ShantyBoy » Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:38 pm

Seriously, do you walk around with a little gray rain cloud over your head.
ShantyBoy
Junior Varsity

Postby MDJenkins » Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:56 pm

The truth is many coaches go to their conference rivals and bring recruits with them. It’s common practice. Get over it. Although this year was a disaster for him and TCU, I bet we all would be ecstatic to play for a National Championship. Like used car salesman Chad did, Dykes will walk away with a lot of money when he is fired. Maybe he’ll spend some time on Jimbo Fisher’s private island.
MDJenkins
Scout Team

Postby Water Pony » Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:12 pm

Let's not waste anymore cycles on Sonny's departure. He moved to a P5 with more money, while SMU got what we needed a young, enthusiastic and talented head coach in Rhett Lashlee.

Congratulations to an "uncommon" team. Love that moniker.

8)
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby mustangxc » Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:47 pm

Finally wrote:
Dukie wrote:
SMU Pom Mom wrote:Sonny is a snake because he unethically recruited for another school while still on the payroll. Period.

“Recruited” in the sense of stealing his own employer’s current players, too.

Also, this wasn’t a team that Sonny built. Research the portal, especially on defense.

I am well aware of the portal additions, but a teams heart is its quality top to bottom. My point is that RL is only able to have the success he is having now because of the foundation sonny built. Otherwise, RL would still just be plugging holes and hoping to win 8 games in a season.

In that case I thank June Jones, not Sonny Dykes. June Jones got us back to being competitive. He led us to a CUSA title game appearance. He won multiple bowl games for us. Chad Morris got us back to recruiting locally. Sonny Dykes won 10 games in a season. Rhett Lashlee was able to win in November and December and now we finally have a conference championship. Rhett Lashlee finally got us a defense and that has nothing to do with any previous regime, especially not Dykes.

Also, not the best way to engage the fan base by trashing it your first day posting on this forum. With your attitude, I hope you are an infrequent visitor to this fan forum.
mustangxc

Postby HubbaHubba » Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:52 pm

Time to put Frogally on the foe list.
HubbaHubba
All-American

Postby ponyte » Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:10 pm

I view Dykes, Morris and Jones like an Italian race car driver ripping the rear view mirror off. What is behind me, doesn't concern me.

We have a great coach and our concern should be keeping him.
ponyte

Postby TwoTimeGrad » Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:51 pm

Sonny's teams faded down the stretch. That was going to catch up to him.

Rhett's team got better in all phases throughout the season.

Sonny was interviewed about the Baylor matchup and went on about how important rivalries are in the Big 12.

If you start about the 0:30 mark, in less than one minute you'll be shaking your head. He has a convenient, if not short memory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIIPZmfV5pQ
TwoTimeGrad
Scout Team

Previous

Return to Football