PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Sonny Dykes

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Sonny Dykes

Postby Sideline » Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:45 pm

Sonny spent fall of 2017 learning how Patterson built a program while Jeff Traylor continued laying a foundation at SMU to cornball Morris’s credit. Morris went to Arkansas, SMU made a mistake by not hiring Traylor, but let’s not forget facts. Sonny built nothing. Still hasn’t. Probably never will. But he is wealthy for being a fraud, not a snake

SMU but beat tcu the two times he had nfl WRs and tcu is now learning what a sonny malaise feels like. He won with Patterson’s players and culture and Lincoln Riley’s brother calling plays while Jeff Jordan walked him through every coaching decision.

With your take, you seem a little close to sonny, I’d say move on from SMU fan sites
Sideline
Scout Team

Postby Dukie » Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:49 pm

Finally wrote:
Dukie wrote:
SMU Pom Mom wrote:Sonny is a snake because he unethically recruited for another school while still on the payroll. Period.

“Recruited” in the sense of stealing his own employer’s current players, too.

Also, this wasn’t a team that Sonny built. Research the portal, especially on defense.

I am well aware of the portal additions, but a teams heart is its quality top to bottom. My point is that RL is only able to have the success he is having now because of the foundation sonny built. Otherwise, RL would still just be plugging holes and hoping to win 8 games in a season.

Pffft.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby ShantyBoy » Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:52 pm

Ugh, another closet frog.
ShantyBoy
Junior Varsity

Postby highlander » Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:55 pm

ShantyBoy wrote:Ugh, another closet frog.

Nah, if they were a closet frog, I doubt they would be defending Sonny at this point.
highlander
Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:57 pm

I agree that Sonny did some good things while he was at SMU but Lashlee & his staff have done MUCH better. I'm glad we get one more shot at TCU next year before they run and hide from this long running rivalry
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Mustangs_Maroons » Sun Dec 03, 2023 5:01 pm

Sonny is a snake and unethical. His actions and words speak for themselves.

I do agree with the snake on something, we should not play each other. It’s a lose-lose for us. That unnecessary lose did us in against what turned out to be a poor team. That being said, that toad team we played at that point in the season still beats this overrated Liberty team.
Mustangs_Maroons
Heisman

Postby Finally » Sun Dec 03, 2023 5:18 pm

Sideline wrote:Sonny spent fall of 2017 learning how Patterson built a program while Jeff Traylor continued laying a foundation at SMU to cornball Morris’s credit. Morris went to Arkansas, SMU made a mistake by not hiring Traylor, but let’s not forget facts. Sonny built nothing. Still hasn’t. Probably never will. But he is wealthy for being a fraud, not a snake

SMU but beat tcu the two times he had nfl WRs and tcu is now learning what a sonny malaise feels like. He won with Patterson’s players and culture and Lincoln Riley’s brother calling plays while Jeff Jordan walked him through every coaching decision.

With your take, you seem a little close to sonny, I’d say move on from SMU fan sites

I'd say not enough people care about your school in your team in the metroplex, much less the country for you to try to to gatekeep any fan. I've been to the games, i've seen the stands on the tv, and i've seen the attendance numbers. maybe be less of donkey?
Finally

Postby Finally » Sun Dec 03, 2023 5:19 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:I agree that Sonny did some good things while he was at SMU but Lashlee & his staff have done MUCH better. I'm glad we get one more shot at TCU next year before they run and hide from this long running rivalry

thank you. this is all i wanted people to acknowledge.
Finally

Postby highlander » Sun Dec 03, 2023 5:23 pm

Finally wrote:
Sideline wrote:Sonny spent fall of 2017 learning how Patterson built a program while Jeff Traylor continued laying a foundation at SMU to cornball Morris’s credit. Morris went to Arkansas, SMU made a mistake by not hiring Traylor, but let’s not forget facts. Sonny built nothing. Still hasn’t. Probably never will. But he is wealthy for being a fraud, not a snake

I'd say not enough people care about your school in your team in the metroplex, much less the country for you to try to to gatekeep any fan. I've been to the games, i've seen the stands on the tv, and i've seen the attendance numbers. maybe be less of donkey?

You may have been to games, but you are clearly not a fan (e.g., "your school"). I am not a gatekeeper, but I suggest you inform yourself before throwing down any more hot takes. Doesn't make you look very smart. Just sayin.
highlander
Varsity

Postby Finally » Sun Dec 03, 2023 5:26 pm

highlander wrote:
Finally wrote:

You may have been to games, but you are clearly not a fan (e.g., "your school"). I am not a gatekeeper, but I suggest you inform yourself before throwing down any more hot takes. Doesn't make you look very smart. Just sayin.

May I ask how saying the last coach did some good things for the program and that we should look to the future instead of stewing in the resentment of the past was a hot take? Truthfully, you should probably get fitted for your dunce hat if you find that statement disagreeable. Just sayin
Finally

Postby highlander » Sun Dec 03, 2023 5:47 pm

Finally wrote:May I ask how saying the last coach did some good things for the program and that we should look to the future instead of stewing in the resentment of the past was a hot take? Truthfully, you should probably get fitted for your dunce hat if you find that statement disagreeable. Just sayin

EXCEPT... that's not what you said! Your original "hot take" was this is a team that Sonny built. A very ill-informed opinion, as has been explained with several responses.

But again, you are welcome (as far as I am concerned) to stay on this thread and defend your dad/husband/brother-in-law/cousin, whatever the case may be.
highlander
Varsity

Postby Finally » Sun Dec 03, 2023 5:52 pm

highlander wrote:
Finally wrote:May I ask how saying the last coach did some good things for the program and that we should look to the future instead of stewing in the resentment of the past was a hot take? Truthfully, you should probably get fitted for your dunce hat if you find that statement disagreeable. Just sayin

EXCEPT... that's not what you said! Your original "hot take" was this is a team that Sonny built. A very ill-informed opinion, as has been explained with several responses.

But again, you are welcome (as far as I am concerned) to stay on this thread and defend your dad/husband/brother-in-law/cousin, whatever the case may be.

Well then, I will extend an apology to you because the message that I intended to communicate was the previous post that I made. I may have failed to do that effectively for my part.

To clarify, my opinion is that Sonny did a lot of foundation laying that helped fast track RL to success. We should appreciate that and stop posting threads trashing him for how he left and move on with our lives. He will get his own and battered wife syndrome isn't a good look for PF.

RL has the looks of the superior coach and he will take SMU further than Dykes ever could, just like Sonny said himself. But it's wrong and disingenuous for anyone to not appreciate the fact that RL did not have to start by digging himself out of a ravine
Finally

Postby Dukie » Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:00 pm

Finally wrote:
highlander wrote:

Well then, I will extend an apology to you because the message that I intended to communicate was the previous post that I made. I may have failed to do that effectively for my part.

To clarify, my opinion is that Sonny did a lot of foundation laying that helped fast track RL to success. We should appreciate that and stop posting threads trashing him for how he left and move on with our lives. He will get his own and battered wife syndrome isn't a good look for PF.

RL has the looks of the superior coach and he will take SMU further than Dykes ever could, just like Sonny said himself. But it's wrong and disingenuous for anyone to not appreciate the fact that RL did not have to start by digging himself out of a ravine

Sorry. Again. Who?
Dukie
Heisman

Postby Finally » Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:08 pm

Dukie wrote:Sorry. Again. Who?

A man of my own heart.
Finally

Postby Arkpony » Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:09 pm

Finally wrote:
Dukie wrote:Sorry. Again. Who?