PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

TRANSFER PORTAL

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

TRANSFER PORTAL

Postby redpony » Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:54 am

It opens tomorrow. I hope our coaches are monitoring it closely as we have a lot of holes to fill.

Need- big OL who are nasty
Need - big DL who are nasty and [deleted] Butkus mean.
Plus other O and D needs.
redpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: TRANSFER PORTAL

Postby EastStang » Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:01 pm

Who are our three players entering the portal.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:31 pm

Charleston Pony

Postby soccermom » Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:12 pm

The QBs at OU & Ohio State both entered the portal. Poor FSU. I am mad for them.
soccermom
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby highlander » Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:46 pm

Why would a starting QB leave Ohio St and OU? They are perennial powerhouses who will be in the national championship mix again next year.

All I can figure is they've been told they will not be starters next year.
highlander
Varsity

Postby PonyPride » Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:27 am

According to his social media, SMU defensive end Daemian Wimberly has entered the transfer portal and is seeking a new home with four years of eligibility remaining.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:36 am

highlander wrote:Why would a starting QB leave Ohio St and OU? They are perennial powerhouses who will be in the national championship mix again next year.

Free agency has come to college football $$$
Charleston Pony

Postby highlander » Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:44 am

Charleston Pony wrote:
highlander wrote:Why would a starting QB leave Ohio St and OU? They are perennial powerhouses who will be in the national championship mix again next year.

Free agency has come to college football $$$

So they can get MORE money from another school than they can from Ohio State or OU???
highlander
Varsity

Postby HubbaHubba » Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:22 am

OU literally gave Marcus Dupree's family a house (and we got the death penalty :? ) back in the day. They have the bucks. I don't think it is just a bidding war.
HubbaHubba
All-American

Postby JasonB » Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:00 am

You guys should all join Pony Sports DTX. It doesn't cost much, and the event last night was phenomenal. Very insightful into our approach with NIL. Personally, I love the perspective that we have on treating the players really well, but with a focus on culture.

What you are going to see at other universities is alumni trying to dictate the roster. For example, if UT alumni want to see Manning, they will cut the Ewers NIL and force him to leave. That could be what you see at OSU (speculation) is that a player had his NIL reduced in favor of another player, and so they are out the door. Sure, it could be that their QB just wants to see what he can get on the open market. But it is just as likely that a big alumni just decided that he didn't have "it" and wasn't willing to keep him in house.

I suspect this will occur a lot with NIL groups that give a lot of money to frosh out of HS. Pay them a lot of money, then that Frosh isn't superman their freshman year, the NIL is cut, and that player hits the portal. The good news for SMU is that there are going to be a ton of players looking to come home at that point, as long as they fit our culture and our system.
JasonB

Postby JasonB » Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:03 am

Or the person paying the NIL for Gabriel decided that he wasn't the guy to lead OU to a championship and wasn't willing to pay for him to stay. I am guessing that that one in particular was an alumni influenced decision. Some of these larger schools who think that they should always win are going to have a very difficult time preventing the alumni from dictating the roster if they don't trust the head coach.
JasonB

Postby 1983 Cotton Bowl » Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:15 am

JasonB wrote:

Or the person paying the NIL for Gabriel decided that he wasn't the guy to lead OU to a championship and wasn't willing to pay for him to stay. I am guessing that that one in particular was an alumni influenced decision. Some of these larger schools who think that they should always win are going to have a very difficult time preventing the alumni from dictating the roster if they don't trust the head coach.

I really hope SMU doesn't end up going down that path. We tried it before with disastrous results. Sherwood, am I right??
1983 Cotton Bowl
Heisman

Postby highlander » Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:21 am

JasonB wrote:

well then good news: that does not bode well for UT. You just described their BMDs to a Tee.
highlander
Varsity

Postby PonyPride » Tue Dec 05, 2023 12:49 pm

More than 1,000 players across the country were in the portal on the first day.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride

Postby highlander » Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:37 pm

PonyPride wrote:More than 1,000 players across the country were in the portal on the first day.

I think I'm going to jump in the portal. I still have 4 years of eligibility, and I could use some extra money.
highlander
Varsity

Next

Return to Football