PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

CFP selection show

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: CFP selection show

Postby Finally » Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:59 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:
Finally wrote:The "We did not want him anyway" committee. The committee releases an announcement on PF when a recruit we are interested in commits to another school. The committee will announce that although we heavily courted the recruit, that we in fact did not want him in the end, and it's definitely not just sour grapes. I think Stallion is the committee chair.

Mrydel is the committee chair and I'm not sure Stallion ever had a seat on the committee. Their meetings and committee make up were a closely held secret :lol:

oh yes, thats correct. I knew it was one of the old heads but I didn't know who .
Finally

Postby soccermom » Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:09 pm

highlander wrote:We made the mistake of guessing that strength of schedule was important. Liberty guessed right, or lucked into an easy non-conf schedule.

Did we? IIRC they tried talking about FSU’s SOS was lower than Alabama, Georgia & UT. But then switched to the injury part of the qualifications, which I thought was irrelevant because they won their championship w/a Freshman QB. He might be the next Roger Staubach for all anyone knows.
They’re full of baloney. Plus, as I mentioned earlier, why let Oregon in a bowl when their QB most likely won’t play? That should be considered just like an injury. They didn’t want an ACC team in the mix. They certainly had decided, probably last week, which bowl we’d be in. They are jealous and will do whatever they think they can to keep us irrelevant. Have I mentioned that I hate the NCAA?
Rant over. Go Mustangs & beat BC.
soccermom
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby highlander » Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:53 pm

soccermom wrote:
highlander wrote:We made the mistake of guessing that strength of schedule was important. Liberty guessed right, or lucked into an easy non-conf schedule.

Did we? IIRC they tried talking about FSU’s SOS was lower than Alabama, Georgia & UT. But then switched to the injury part of the qualifications, which I thought was irrelevant because they won their championship w/a Freshman QB. He might be the next Roger Staubach for all anyone knows.
They’re full of baloney. Plus, as I mentioned earlier, why let Oregon in a bowl when their QB most likely won’t play? That should be considered just like an injury. They didn’t want an ACC team in the mix. They certainly had decided, probably last week, which bowl we’d be in. They are jealous and will do whatever they think they can to keep us irrelevant. Have I mentioned that I hate the NCAA?
Rant over. Go Mustangs & beat BC.

What are they jealous of?
highlander
Varsity

Postby soccermom » Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:08 pm

Highlander, what year did you graduate? Asking because I’m just going to address the here & now (unless you’re younger & want my opinions about earlier—-I’m c/o ‘81). How many schools can afford AND do accept a new conference invitation without needing to takie any tv revenue for the # of years we did? Ummm…zero. We’re a small private school who can compete, and beat, the big state schools(sorry this is going back to my days in school).
soccermom
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby highlander » Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:14 pm

94 grad. That's what I thought you were going to say. The trouble with your theory of jealousy is we were getting slighted long before we accepted the expensive invitation to the ACC.

I think most of our problems garnering respect stem from the lack of attendance at our games. I wonder if the NCAA picked Liberty over us because they look like they fill up their stadium. Just a guess.

I don't have any answers -- just observations.
highlander
Varsity

Postby soccermom » Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:19 pm

It has nothing to do with attendance. Please read what GHammond wrote in his SMU Snubs thread. It’s a big reason.
soccermom
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby highlander » Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:11 pm

soccermom wrote:It has nothing to do with attendance. Please read what GHammond wrote in his SMU Snubs thread. It’s a big reason.

Sorry - all I am seeing in GHammond's post is a list of snubs. Not seeing any reasons WHY we are continually snubbed.
highlander
Varsity

Postby soccermom » Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:25 pm

His snubs are legit. Back in the 80s, we were undefeated w/1 tie in the SWC. We played Dan Marino & Pitt in the Cotton Bowl. We won. Rather than SMU being the Nat’l Champs, “they” said we weren’t good enough and had to share w/Pedi State, who had a loss. Baloney. Like I told you earlier, a small private school (us) are not supposed to beat big schools (Ut, A&M, tech, etc). Yes, we paid players, but so did all of the other SWC teams but a blind eye was turned to them. They couldn’t stand the fact that little ol’ SMU was beating THE university & the others. We got the dp while nothing happened to them. Ever. Others perceive SMU as being an elite, rich, snobbish school. We’re not the only schools w/$$ but we can do things others can’t (or don’t). I consider today’s snub as a continuance of the 80s. This is how I feel but sharing so you can try to understand. I will never like ut . Ever.
soccermom
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby highlander » Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:08 pm

soccermom wrote:His snubs are legit. Back in the 80s, we were undefeated w/1 tie in the SWC. We played Dan Marino & Pitt in the Cotton Bowl. We won. Rather than SMU being the Nat’l Champs, “they” said we weren’t good enough and had to share w/Pedi State, who had a loss. Baloney. Like I told you earlier, a small private school (us) are not supposed to beat big schools (Ut, A&M, tech, etc). Yes, we paid players, but so did all of the other SWC teams but a blind eye was turned to them. They couldn’t stand the fact that little ol’ SMU was beating THE university & the others. We got the dp while nothing happened to them. Ever. Others perceive SMU as being an elite, rich, snobbish school. We’re not the only schools w/$$ but we can do things others can’t (or don’t). I consider today’s snub as a continuance of the 80s. This is how I feel but sharing so you can try to understand. I will never like ut . Ever.

PM
highlander
Varsity

Previous

Return to Football