PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

CFP selection show

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: CFP selection show

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:53 pm

I was hoping FSU would get in and Texas would get picked over Alabama but there was no way the committee was going to exclude the SEC. Would have been nice for them to miss out so they would appreciate the expansion to 12 next year more than they undoubtedly did previously, especially since they had 2 teams in at times at the expense of the PAC 12 and Big XII
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Mustangs_Maroons » Sun Dec 03, 2023 5:07 pm

The media attention from a NY6 bowl is massive. It’s a shame and it’s a farce by the committee. This SMU team would soundly beat Liberty.

I think the toads still speak about winning the rose bowl against Wisconsin I don’t even know how long ago. These bowls absolutely matter, and you develop a reputation if you play and win these bowls. We clearly don’t have one now and the committee robbed us of the opportunity to do so.

No one will care about winning the Fenway bowl. We’ll be back of the sports section instead of being in the front.
Mustangs_Maroons
Heisman

Postby Flipper » Sun Dec 03, 2023 5:24 pm

Fair point. No question we dominated and had that edge. I kept thinking about ED and his attitude toward TU. We were just better. I am just glad that we move on to the ACC. No more conversations about NTSU, Liberty, NMSU...time to move to the big boy conference and accept challenges there! Like I said before, the future is now. Bring on BC!
Flipper
Recruit

Postby mtrout » Sun Dec 03, 2023 5:29 pm

Mustangs_Maroons wrote:The media attention from a NY6 bowl is massive. It’s a shame and it’s a farce by the committee. This SMU team would soundly beat Liberty.

I think the toads still speak about winning the rose bowl against Wisconsin I don’t even know how long ago. These bowls absolutely matter, and you develop a reputation if you play and win these bowls. We clearly don’t have one now and the committee robbed us of the opportunity to do so.

No one will care about winning the Fenway bowl. We’ll be back of the sports section instead of being in the front.

Life doesn't get any easier. You have to get harder.

Hindsight, we needed to beat TCU. SMU is never going to get any favors. It always needs to be a "leave no doubt" scenario before we can expect any fair treatment. Complaining doesn't do anything except bring ridicule. Beat the hell out of BC and continue forward.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby highlander » Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:11 pm

We made the mistake of guessing that strength of schedule was important. Liberty guessed right, or lucked into an easy non-conf schedule.
highlander
Varsity

Postby Finally » Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:17 pm

highlander wrote:We made the mistake of guessing that strength of schedule was important. Liberty guessed right, or lucked into an easy non-conf schedule.

It's an imperfect science and the committee is not up to the standards that we are used to here with the WDNWHA committee; They move the goal posts and change the metrics all the time based on who it is comprised of and probably a bit of marketability of the matchup is considered.
Finally

Postby soccermom » Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:20 pm

highlander wrote:We made the mistake of guessing that strength of schedule was important. Liberty guessed right, or lucked into an easy non-conf schedule.

I know good & well if we were in Liberty’s position & they were in ours, we’d be dismissed because of our SOS. The NCAA can’t stand us and always screws us…every chance they have.
soccermom
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Finally » Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:23 pm

soccermom wrote:

I know good & well if we were in Liberty’s position & they were in ours, we’d be dismissed because of our SOS. The NCAA can’t stand us and always screws us…every chance they have.

+1
Finally

Postby HubbaHubba » Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:37 pm

Playing a sinking BC team in their home town in a frozen baseball stadium doesn't seem like the appropriate reward for the AAC champs. Glad we're leaving but with the way the ACC champ is being treated it doesn't bode well.
HubbaHubba
All-American

Postby highlander » Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:40 pm

Finally wrote:

It's an imperfect science and the committee is not up to the standards that we are used to here with the WDNWHA committee; They move the goal posts and change the metrics all the time based on who it is comprised of and probably a bit of marketability of the matchup is considered.

what is the WDNWHA committee?
highlander
Varsity

Postby Finally » Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:46 pm

highlander wrote:
Finally wrote:

what is the WDNWHA committee?

The "We did not want him anyway" committee. The committee releases an announcement on PF when a recruit we are interested in commits to another school. The committee will announce that although we heavily courted the recruit, that we in fact did not want him in the end, and it's definitely not just sour grapes. I think Stallion is the committee chair.
Finally

Postby highlander » Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:48 pm

Finally wrote:The "We did not want him anyway" committee. The committee releases an announcement on PF when a recruit we are interested in commits to another school. The committee will announce that although we heavily courted the recruit, that we in fact did not want him in the end, and it's definitely not just sour grapes. I think Stallion is the committee chair.

OK I see how you are.
highlander
Varsity

Postby Finally » Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:49 pm

highlander wrote:
Finally wrote:The "We did not want him anyway" committee. The committee releases an announcement on PF when a recruit we are interested in commits to another school. The committee will announce that although we heavily courted the recruit, that we in fact did not want him in the end, and it's definitely not just sour grapes. I think Stallion is the committee chair.

OK I see how you are.

I don't know what that means. do you have the sarcasm font on?
Finally

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:59 pm

Mrydel is the committee chair and I'm not sure Stallion ever had a seat on the committee. Their meetings and committee make up were a closely held secret :lol:
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Oldmins » Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:46 pm

How much did it cost to get into the "big" Conference whose unbeaten 13=0 champion gets beat out by two one loss teams. Guess the ACC isn't "big" enough.
Oldmins
Varsity

PreviousNext

Return to Football