PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

CFP selection show

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: CFP selection show

Postby Hoofbeat83 » Sun Dec 03, 2023 3:20 pm

highlander wrote:We just need to make a statement in whatever bowl we go to.

and I hope we have a good turnout!
I root for: Mustangs, Astros & Jets!
Hoofbeat83
All-American

Postby Dukie » Sun Dec 03, 2023 3:22 pm

utp@smu wrote:This sucks.

Giving Liberty any sort of exposure is gross.

Hard disagree on this; Nepo Baby Falwell earned Liberty a fair amount of media attention for watching the pool boy eff Nepo Baby’s wife. But there should and could have been more.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby max the wonder dog » Sun Dec 03, 2023 3:36 pm

Tulane is headed to the Military Bowl. Looks like Boston is in our future.
max the wonder dog
Heisman

Postby highlander » Sun Dec 03, 2023 3:37 pm

PlanoStang wrote:My theory is this is just committee practice for next year when top rated non P5 team makes the playoffs. They pick the weakest non P5 conference champion with the best record to cover it. That way there’s little threat to the P5 team they play.

Glad we’re outta that :!:

I think your theory assumes waaayyyy too much forethought from such a collection of lamebrains.
highlander
Varsity

Postby Dukie » Sun Dec 03, 2023 3:41 pm

max the wonder dog wrote:Tulane is headed to the Military Bowl. Looks like Boston is in our future.

Duke boards saying that the Devils are, too, so that’s gonna be two times in ~10 months I get to watch a no-win matchup (but will root for SMU).
Dukie
Heisman

Postby smubrooks » Sun Dec 03, 2023 3:43 pm

We should organize the pony nation into congratulating liberty football/athletics for the country’s worst SOS on all social media accounts
Pony Up!
smubrooks
All-American

Postby highlander » Sun Dec 03, 2023 3:49 pm

Dukie wrote:
max the wonder dog wrote:Tulane is headed to the Military Bowl. Looks like Boston is in our future.

Duke boards saying that the Devils are, too, so that’s gonna be two times in ~10 months I get to watch a no-win matchup (but will root for SMU).

What do you mean by "no-win matchup"?
highlander
Varsity

Postby PlanoStang » Sun Dec 03, 2023 3:52 pm

highlander wrote:
PlanoStang wrote:My theory is this is just committee practice for next year when top rated non P5 team makes the playoffs. They pick the weakest non P5 conference champion with the best record to cover it. That way there’s little threat to the P5 team they play.

I think your theory assumes waaayyyy too much forethought from such a collection of lamebrains.

Would like to know the current school affiliations of the committee. They set this up early by LU getting in the top 25.
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Dukie » Sun Dec 03, 2023 3:55 pm

PlanoStang wrote:
highlander wrote:

Would like to know the current school affiliations of the committee. They set this up early by LU getting in the top 25.

Here is the committee:

https://collegefootballplayoff.com/spor ... tee/roster

No apparent ties to Liberty or the Sun Belt. Lots of ACC ties (who should have been looking to promote an incoming member, if anything).

This isn’t a conspiracy, IMhO, it’s just dumb and lazy. (And inconsistent with their exclusion of F$U).
Dukie
Heisman

Postby highlander » Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:15 pm

I know everyone is disappointed, but we have to look at the bright side. Outside the events of the last 2 hours, this has been the best year in the last 35 years for SMU football! We achieved our dream of getting into a P5 conference. Then we went out and won our conference! On the road! With a freshman QB making his first start! We finshed ranked in every poll! We just locked up for the foreseeable future what I think is the best coach we have had in the last 35 years, and maybe ever (impossible to compare Lashlee to the coaches of the pre DP era).

It would have been nice to be recognized by the committee, unless you spend 5 seconds thinking about it. The truth is Liberty is going to a bowl that their opponent does not care about, but who will still annihilate them. Virtually no sports writer or coach in the country agrees with the committee's decision. I put more stock in their assessment than some 13-member star chamber that garners respect from hardly anyone. Everyone thinks the committee is a joke. Most people can't even name the two teams that lost the CFP semis last year, let alone the other 8 NY6 teams. So really all Liberty gets is bragging rights, which will last until they actually play the game.

Also, If you have no chance of winning the college football championship, does being in the NY6 really matter? It MIGHT make a difference in recruiting, but that is very much up for debate. So far, it looks like this incoming recruiting class is going to make us forget about last year's class! I didn't think that was possible.
highlander
Varsity

Postby Dukie » Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:17 pm

highlander wrote:
Dukie wrote:

What do you mean by "no-win matchup"?

Oh sorry, just meant for myself. But it’s sorta no-win for either school, honestly.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby Mustangs_Maroons » Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:33 pm

highlander wrote:I know everyone is disappointed, but we have to look at the bright side. Outside the events of the last 2 hours, this has been the best year in the last 35 years for SMU football! We achieved our dream of getting into a P5 conference. Then we went out and won our conference! On the road! With a freshman QB making his first start! We finshed ranked in every poll! We just locked up for the foreseeable future what I think is the best coach we have had in the last 35 years, and maybe ever (impossible to compare Lashlee to the coaches of the pre DP era).

It would have been nice to be recognized by the committee, unless you spend 5 seconds thinking about it. The truth is Liberty is going to a bowl that their opponent does not care about, but who will still annihilate them. Virtually no sports writer or coach in the country agrees with the committee's decision. I put more stock in their assessment than some 13-member star chamber that garners respect from hardly anyone. Everyone thinks the committee is a joke. Most people can't even name the two teams that lost the CFP semis last year, let alone the other 8 NY6 teams. So really all Liberty gets is bragging rights, which will last until they actually play the game.

Also, If you have no chance of winning the college football championship, does being in the NY6 really matter? It MIGHT make a difference in recruiting, but that is very much up for debate. So far, it looks like this incoming recruiting class is going to make us forget about last year's class! I didn't think that was possible.

I think it absolutely matters. The national and media attention. A NY6 bowl against Oregon. Now we have a Low tier bowl against a team that went 3-5 in conference and 6-6 overall. BC is not a very good team right now. Winning this game gives SMU nothing.
Mustangs_Maroons
Heisman

Postby Flipper » Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:38 pm

I love SMU and I loved the result yesterday. I have to admit, I did not like the taunting and jawing after almost every play. I get it, football is a game of emotion, but I wonder if that attitude rubbed some of the committee the wrong way. A chippy game with trash talk here and there is fine, but I thought we were a little over the line and that might have made a perception difference. Hell, I say go all "U" on every team, but there is a line.
Flipper
Recruit

Postby highlander » Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:39 pm

Mustangs_Maroons wrote:
highlander wrote:Also, If you have no chance of winning the college football championship, does being in the NY6 really matter? It MIGHT make a difference in recruiting, but that is very much up for debate. So far, it looks like this incoming recruiting class is going to make us forget about last year's class! I didn't think that was possible.

I think it absolutely matters. The national and media attention. A NY6 bowl against Oregon. Now we have a Low tier bowl against a team that went 3-5 in conference and 6-6 overall. BC is not a very good team right now. Winning this game gives SMU nothing.

I don't think being the runner-up last year has done much for TCU. Sure, it put them on the radar in December of last year. But where are they now? We were told it helped recruiting tremendously. I guess we'll know more about that next year. But so far, we have not seen any results.
highlander
Varsity

Postby highlander » Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:40 pm

Flipper wrote:I love SMU and I loved the result yesterday. I have to admit, I did not like the taunting and jawing after almost every play. I get it, football is a game of emotion, but I wonder if that attitude rubbed some of the committee the wrong way. A chippy game with trash talk here and there is fine, but I thought we were a little over the line and that might have made a perception difference. Hell, I say go all "U" on every team, but there is a line.

I, on the other hand, wonder if the committee even watched the game!
highlander
Varsity

PreviousNext

Return to Football