PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Fenway Bowl vs. Boston College

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Fenway Bowl vs. Boston College

Postby BUS » Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:35 pm

We will always be the underdog... that is why the team works harder.
Like wild Mustangs. Work harder.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Mustangs35SMU » Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:45 pm

We didn't get the NY6 bowl, sure. But still have a chance to finish with 12 wins this year. Not going to let it get me down too much.

Sucks that we're basically going to be playing an away game in the bowl, especially when we deserve so much more. But is what it is.

Go blow out BC and make a statement heading into our first year in the ACC. Might as well start getting use to BC now with four straight years of playing them now.
Mustangs35SMU
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Finally » Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:48 pm

Mustangs35SMU wrote:We didn't get the NY6 bowl, sure. But still have a chance to finish with 12 wins this year. Not going to let it get me down too much.

Sucks that we're basically going to be playing an away game in the bowl, especially when we deserve so much more. But is what it is.

Go blow out BC and make a statement heading into our first year in the ACC. Might as well start getting use to BC now with four straight years of playing them now.

This is the right attitude, IMO. Smu has finished with double digit wins one other time in my lifetime (2019) so I'm still pretty stoked
Finally

Postby GHammond » Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:57 pm

Shades of 1983 season…we go 10-1 with one L V UT, and get relegated to the Sun Bowl V a 7-4 ‘Bama team who kicked our [deleted]. We were pissed and unprepared. Folks, have we ever really garnered any respect? Maybe in the 40’a with Doak and Kyle….don’t get me started on one loss Penn St’a early 80’s Natty. F’em all - just keep kicking butt.
GHammond
Varsity

Postby planoponyfan » Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:44 pm

Obviously I'm disappointed we didn't get an NY6 bid. However, I don't hate this bowl bid. I'm glad we accepted. We get to play a team that will be a conference foe starting next year. If we can have our backup QB win a conference title and then go out and stomp this ACC team in a bowl game, it will show that we are not a fluke and deserved better. I'd be curious to know what the payout is for this game.
planoponyfan
Varsity

Postby Mustangs_Maroons » Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:46 pm

Will watch our Mustangs in this low tier bowl but done with the rest of college football until next year. Too much politics. The NCAA (via the buffoons in the committee this time) showing it will continue to stick it to us every chance it gets. Let’s go we do well in NIL and Stone comes back stronger and better to lead us in the ACC next year.
Mustangs_Maroons
Heisman

Postby PonyME » Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:22 pm

If I recall correctly, we thought we were disrespected a few years ago (2019?) and we were shipped off to the Boca Bowl vs FAU who had half their team either hurt or skipping the bowl. They blew us out. This year, we have an opportunity to win a bowl game vs a P5 team…a future conference mate who we host at Ford next year. And we can finish in the AP top 15. Yes, Boston in December is not ideal but the team is gonna love it…I can see this group having a great time which they deserve. BC is a gritty, tough team and will try to limit our big plays….grind us down. How about we earn some respect and show that ‘committee’ …it’s really a cabal…that we’re not going away. Oh and maybe come up with a plan to attract more fans to Ford. This team deserved better…and I’m positive that our lack of fan support played a part in todays two big decisions: (1) the cabal screwed us, and 2) bowls higher up in the pecking order chose other teams (Military Bowl chose Tulane and Liberty Bowl chose Memphis vs a good Iowa St team..can’t blame them).
PonyME
Scout Team

Postby jkflamebo » Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:26 pm

Why did we not get an invite to the Liberty bowl as the conference champion. That seems like a better bowl, no?
jkflamebo
Hall of Famer

Postby fan » Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:32 pm

jkflamebo wrote:Why did we not get an invite to the Liberty bowl as the conference champion. That seems like a better bowl, no?

Agree
fan
Varsity

Postby Dukie » Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:49 pm

fan wrote:
jkflamebo wrote:Why did we not get an invite to the Liberty bowl as the conference champion. That seems like a better bowl, no?

Agree

Third.

Insane that we’re going to Boston and Memphis is at home.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby PonyME » Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:05 pm

Conferences don’t slot teams to bowls based on performance. It’s based on tv ratings and butts in the seats. The Bowls, Committee, and tv/ad executives decide. There’s def some bias in the NCAA March Madness basketball tourney, but results on the court matter in terms of who gets in and seeding. Today made it very clear that it’s not the case for football.
PonyME
Scout Team

Postby soccermom » Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:11 pm

GHammond wrote:Shades of 1983 season…we go 10-1 with one L V UT, and get relegated to the Sun Bowl V a 7-4 ‘Bama team who kicked our [deleted]. We were pissed and unprepared. Folks, have we ever really garnered any respect? Maybe in the 40’a with Doak and Kyle….don’t get me started on one loss Penn St’a early 80’s Natty. F’em all - just keep kicking butt.

GHammond, I have thought of the Pedi State situation all day. It was the first thing I thought of when I saw the decision. That’s why I hate the ncaa.
soccermom
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby soccermom » Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:13 pm

Because the corrupt ncaa didn’t want us there but in Boston in December.
soccermom
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby johngray0 » Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:21 pm

Ok, the evidence is in. SMU is not going to win any "respect". There's no getting what is deserved except by busting down the front door and taking it. I'm not going go break down why playing BC is a slap on the faace. Well, at least now the table is set. There's the ACC. And since even running the tables in ACC not even sufficient (Don't WE even feel sorry for FSU today?), there is the 12 team playoff. 3 years ago. Heck 3 MONTHS ago, I'd thought any playoff talk for SMU is a joko. I no longer think so. But I'm done doing the Sally Field thing, praying we will be liked and accepted. Any progress must happen on the field.
johngray0

Postby highlander » Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:29 pm

No question FSU got screwed. And it is laughable the way the committee used the eye test against FSU over the 13-0, and then turned around and used 13-0 over the eye test for Liberty!

Liberty fails the eye test so badly that it can't read the big "E" at the top.
highlander
Varsity

PreviousNext

Return to Football