PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Fenway Bowl vs. Boston College

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Fenway Bowl vs. Boston College

Postby PonyME » Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:52 pm

johngray0 wrote:Ok, the evidence is in. SMU is not going to win any "respect". There's no getting what is deserved except by busting down the front door and taking it. I'm not going go break down why playing BC is a slap on the faace. Well, at least now the table is set. There's the ACC. And since even running the tables in ACC not even sufficient (Don't WE even feel sorry for FSU today?), there is the 12 team playoff. 3 years ago. Heck 3 MONTHS ago, I'd thought any playoff talk for SMU is a joko. I no longer think so. But I'm done doing the Sally Field thing, praying we will be liked and accepted. Any progress must happen on the field.

I want to 100% agree with you. But I’m at 99%. Hasn’t Liberty found the perfect recipe to consistently make it into the new 12 team playoff? Be the big fish in the little pond…don’t schedule a P5 team OCC, and run the table in a weak G5 conference. The Cabal set the precedent today. Go undefeated and you’re in (unless a star player gets hurt..then we’re going to look into our crystal ball). SMU to ACC is huge on more levels overall for the University, and I’m thrilled, but from a strictly ‘how do we get into the Playoffs’ perspective (which alone has huge prestige and dollar implications)…I think we had a better chance making the Playoffs going forward in the AAC.
PonyME
Scout Team

Postby highlander » Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:24 pm

PonyME wrote:
I want to 100% agree with you. But I’m at 99%. Hasn’t Liberty found the perfect recipe to consistently make it into the new 12 team playoff? Be the big fish in the little pond…don’t schedule a P5 team OCC, and run the table in a weak G5 conference. The Cabal set the precedent today. Go undefeated and you’re in (unless a star player gets hurt..then we’re going to look into our crystal ball). SMU to ACC is huge on more levels overall for the University, and I’m thrilled, but from a strictly ‘how do we get into the Playoffs’ perspective (which alone has huge prestige and dollar implications)…I think we had a better chance making the Playoffs going forward in the AAC.

From what I can tell they landed on the perfect recipe THIS YEAR. In years past, a weak schedule was a no-no. This year, it's all about a perfect record. Unless you are FSU, in which case it's about the "eye test". But if it's not about the eye test, it's about having a perfect record. Unless it's not about having a perfect record, in which case it's about the eye test. However, there are certain instances in which it is not about the eye test. In those cases, it's about having a perfect record. But if you do have a perfect record, that may not be enough because it may also be about the eye test.
highlander
Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:05 am

jkflamebo wrote:Why did we not get an invite to the Liberty bowl as the conference champion. That seems like a better bowl, no?

Memphis will sell more tickets. Period
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:09 am

Graceland Tar Heel wrote:BC has no fans. Even in Boston. If you have to name just 2 ACC teams that have usually quite poor TV drawing power, the 2 are BC and Wake Forest. Even Syracuse is consisntenly a bigger draw for football than Bam, which also is a big dud for basketball TV drawing power.

SMU should feel right at home playing in Fenway in front of a few thousand fans. It's what we do. I just hope our football team doesn't whine as much as our fans and they play that game with a chip on their shoulders and something to prove. Stomp those Eagles!
Charleston Pony

Postby highlander » Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:46 am

We have a chance to finish top-15 in the AP poll. I would say that alone makes this already an extremely successful season.
highlander
Varsity

Postby soccermom » Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:11 am

Sorry I don’t know how to link the article I read earlier. It was a FB post from SMU Football sharing an article quoting RL about the decision. I love his attitude. He said he doesn’t agree w/it but not going to dwell on it but rather celebrate this team the way they deserve to be celebrated.
soccermom
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby indianmustang » Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:40 am

suck so much and not even a decent opponent
last year was better
Mustang from India
indianmustang

Postby JasonB » Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:02 am

This is a great opportunity to go say thanks to the players, meet their parents, and build some great relationships with fellow alumni. Staying at the team hotel and taking part in the activities is what it is all about... the game is almost secondary. Although I have never been to Fenway, so that will be a great experience.

I'm interested to see how our defense and OL perform against an ACC team, especially the players who are returning. I can guarantee you that the players and coaching staff want to make a statement in this game that we are ready to complete next season.

And Bus, if the game is too cold, skip the game or go back to the hotel early :).

Get out there and celebrate with everyone! I'm sure our trophy will be there, and you will be able to have your picture taken with it. Have some fun!

The bigger question is which hotel... I'm leaning towards the Reinessance?
JasonB

Postby 1983 Cotton Bowl » Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:23 am

I won't be able to make it unfortunately, but I wish I could. I'll be watching on TV. I agree its a great opportunity for the Ponies to show their stuff against an ACC opponent on national TV. I hope they bring it!!

Took me a day to get over the snub, but I'm over it now. I want this team to get to 12 wins and go out in style!! Aside from the TCU game, which still sticks in my craw, its been a great season!!!
1983 Cotton Bowl
Heisman

Postby Arkpony » Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:41 am

Not only can I not attend, I may not even be able to watch as I will be attending relative’s funeral that day!!
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby EastStang » Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:16 am

Living in DC, I can do an up and back flight same day.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby HubbaHubba » Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:24 am

Arkpony wrote:Not only can I not attend, I may not even be able to watch as I will be attending relative’s funeral that day!!

One of those can be rescheduled :mrgreen: .
HubbaHubba
All-American

Postby HubbaHubba » Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:30 am

HubbaHubba
All-American

Postby Water Pony » Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:56 am

I hope our Team and Fans focus on winning this game. It will set the table for our move to the ACC next summer. Bowl games are a reward for the team and we need to be excited for them.

The decision to slot Liberty @ the Fiesta gives the committee air cover after they downgraded FSU, who we play in Dallas next year BTW. The Seminoles have more reason to be disappointed that us.

In the end, the committee wasn't ready to keep the SEC out of the CFP and someone was going to scream. Can you imagine Greg Sankey, Paul Finebaum, and Nick Saban's reaction if Alabama wasn't selected. They and the entire SEC would have lost their collective minds. FSU was who was sacrificed. Our disappointment is minor. I get Liberty Bowl had a choice and wanted their team in. So be it.

Lashlee needs to focus the team on another statement game. We have come so far in two years; I am still over the moon on our move to a better future.
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby AfricanMustang » Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:09 pm

JasonB wrote:This is a great opportunity to go say thanks to the players, meet their parents, and build some great relationships with fellow alumni. Staying at the team hotel and taking part in the activities is what it is all about... the game is almost secondary. Although I have never been to Fenway, so that will be a great experience.

I'm interested to see how our defense and OL perform against an ACC team, especially the players who are returning. I can guarantee you that the players and coaching staff want to make a statement in this game that we are ready to complete next season.

And Bus, if the game is too cold, skip the game or go back to the hotel early :).

Get out there and celebrate with everyone! I'm sure our trophy will be there, and you will be able to have your picture taken with it. Have some fun!

The bigger question is which hotel... I'm leaning towards the Reinessance?

Absolutely, hopefully with a win that means that we shall be pre-ranked before next season and all we have to do is just keep winning next season, boom, we are in the CFP, right?:-)
“Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves.”
― C.G. Jung
AfricanMustang
Varsity

PreviousNext

Return to Football