PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Silver lining to being snubbed

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Silver lining to being snubbed

Postby mustangxc » Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:00 pm

I'm confident that this snub will get our BMD's even more engaged than they already are. Whatever is missing, if anything will be covered and more. While missing a NY6 Bowl is a huge disappointment, ultimately it doesn't matter that much now that we are going to a P3 conference next year. Also, as amazing as a NY6 Bowl would be, it really is just an exhibition as we wouldn't really win anything beyond the game itself. I think this snub will fire up our BMD's even further and ultimately get us into the CFP with a legitimate chance to win a national championship within the next few years.
mustangxc
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Silver lining to being snubbed

Postby ShantyBoy » Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:32 pm

This ^^^^^^ 100%.
ShantyBoy
Junior Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:33 pm

If only our BMDs could find a way to get more people to come out and actually attend our games to support our teams! We have to hope more bandwagon fans come out next year.
Charleston Pony

Postby PlanoStang » Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:05 am

Great chance at 12-2. What is the spread for LIberty fiberty vs. Oregon? I think Sagarin was 21,
and SMU around 14.
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SmooBoy » Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:13 am

It's truly Silver as we've gotten more positive pub in the last 3 days than FOREVER, and we have a really decent chance of finishing top 15 in country.
SmooBoy

Postby highlander » Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:28 am

SmooBoy wrote:It's truly Silver as we've gotten more positive pub in the last 3 days than FOREVER, and we have a really decent chance of finishing top 15 in country.

Good point about the positive pub. Also, I think potential recruits can plainly see what we all can plainly see: SMU was more deserving, and we are waaaaayyyy better than anything Liberty can put on the field.
highlander
Varsity

Postby AfricanMustang » Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:40 pm

SmooBoy wrote:It's truly Silver as we've gotten more positive pub in the last 3 days than FOREVER, and we have a really decent chance of finishing top 15 in country.

I thought about this yesterday, and more publicity early next season as they keep up with how the new teams are fairing in their new conferences, hope we beat TCU next year, and completely finish that chapter, as protege (Lashlee) beats mentor (Dyke)...and Dyke gets fired :D
“Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves.”
― C.G. Jung
AfricanMustang
Varsity

Postby PlanoStang » Wed Dec 06, 2023 2:30 pm

We get a good measuring stick of where we fit in our new conference.
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyTime » Wed Dec 06, 2023 2:58 pm

Positives of the Fenway Bowl:

Extra practices
Play BC a year early
One more game with KJ as starter
Chance at 12 wins and potentially a better ranking going into next year
Mustang band gets new coats
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby crazy horse » Wed Dec 06, 2023 5:30 pm

I was reflecting on this and other snubs back to the 80s. And everyone above makes some great points. I think we also need to understand the demographics and power in the US is shifting away from the coasts. DFW is projected to be the largest metro area in the country by 2100. Many conferences already have offices here. Corporations are relocating to Texas. And I would expect media to either relocate or increase their presence in the Southwest/Texas. This might greatly reduce the East and West coast bias that has always been problematic.

I also reluctantly think the Fenway option is better for now, especially without Stone. Get KJ more experience in a starting role, get some practice against an ACC team, and get the win. This will be a very nice segue into our first ACC year.
"Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it."

New post Rhett Lashlee - College Football's Coach Of The Year
crazy horse
All-American

Return to Football