PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Cal, Stanford, SMU leaving ACC for......

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Cal, Stanford, SMU leaving ACC for......

Postby EastStang » Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:30 pm

I’d have to drop the blackball on TCU and Baylor. They along with the Whorns blocked us from Big XII. Maybe if they forego 10 years of TV money. I would rather poach Colorado,UA, ASU, and UU.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Topper » Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:31 pm

If the ACC has any hope that Texas Tech academics might improve - forget it. Within 2 or 3 years Baylor and TCU will be permanently mired in the bottom half of the Big 12. None of the 3 schools have much to offer unless the goal is just to find a Texas school to pair with SMU. Besides they need the money that they are supposedly getting from their current conference.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby Graceland Tar Heel » Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:51 am

EastStang wrote:I’d have to drop the blackball on TCU and Baylor. They along with the Whorns blocked us from Big XII. Maybe if they forego 10 years of TV money. I would rather poach Colorado,UA, ASU, and UU.

TX is simply too big for football to have just 1 TX school. DFW itself will turn out more football talent than CO and UT combined.

As much as I like what Whittingham has done, and as much potential as we have seen for one of the AZ schools to be good at any time, I think all 3 will suffer from lack of annual presence in southern CA. Colorado does nothing for me. I'd much rather have total of 4 TX schools than to have CO.
Graceland Tar Heel
Junior Varsity

Postby jkflamebo » Sat Dec 09, 2023 11:48 am

FSU in motion to leave for Big 10 soon. UNC, Clemson, UVA not far behind as well to join or go to SEC. Others in ACC may want to leave but have no where to go. ND controls their own destiny.

Rest of ACC + Big 12 most likely need to merge for survival. Best outcome for SMU is to stay amongst this new P2 conference.
jkflamebo
Hall of Famer

Postby highlander » Sat Dec 09, 2023 2:02 pm

jkflamebo wrote:FSU in motion to leave for Big 10 soon. UNC, Clemson, UVA not far behind as well to join or go to SEC. Others in ACC may want to leave but have no where to go. ND controls their own destiny.

Rest of ACC + Big 12 most likely need to merge for survival. Best outcome for SMU is to stay amongst this new P2 conference.

When you say "soon", what do you mean?
highlander
Varsity

Postby ShantyBoy » Sat Dec 09, 2023 3:03 pm

highlander wrote:
jkflamebo wrote:FSU in motion to leave for Big 10 soon. UNC, Clemson, UVA not far behind as well to join or go to SEC. Others in ACC may want to leave but have no where to go. ND controls their own destiny.

Yeah, how soon? Since you’re obviously in the know with the FSU program.
ShantyBoy
Junior Varsity

Postby Dukie » Sat Dec 09, 2023 4:45 pm

ShantyBoy wrote:
highlander wrote:

Yeah, how soon? Since you’re obviously in the know with the FSU program.

My guess is it's Big 10 Commissioner Tony Petitti gracing us with his presence. The certitude that the B1G is about to add a new non-AAU member for the first time ever could only come from his office.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby ShantyBoy » Sat Dec 09, 2023 4:59 pm

Haha. Makes total sense now!
ShantyBoy
Junior Varsity

Postby crazy horse » Sat Dec 09, 2023 5:32 pm

It seems to me that the rumors and murmuring that certain schools are about to leave are intended to destabilize what should be a somewhat stable power conference. Why would someone engage in that? Who wins, if the ACC collapses or the merges with the B12 - as some have proposed. Fear of being left behind drove the P12 to an early grave, and yet the same cycle seems to be repeating. Who wins.

In a 12 team playoff, with two mega conferences, what better way to maximize your participation than reduce the number of viable Power conference contenders?

The ACC also for some strange reason has a major inferiority complex. Why? They have won national championships, they have good teams, yet they let the BIG10 and SEC media dictate the pecking order. And they are seen as a very regional league. Now their footprint is expanded to major markets in Texas and California, which should help in a number of ways. I definitely think SMU is committed to being a major player in the ACC, maybe Stanford and Cal come in strong as well. You might find more schools wanting to join us - maybe even Notre Dame for FB, instead of thinking life will be better in Chicago or Indianapolis - that place smells like potatoes.

But if FSU or whomever must go, good riddance. Still plenty of schools out there who would be thrilled to be in the ACC.
"Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it."

New post Rhett Lashlee - College Football's Coach Of The Year
crazy horse
All-American

Postby ShantyBoy » Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:00 pm

Ugh, overthinking it. What will be will be. We will soon be in the P4 now and that is it.That SMUPTSD needs to finally go away and we need to earn our P4 keep from now on.
ShantyBoy
Junior Varsity

Postby Smumba2009 » Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:35 pm

The question is how do you elevate an ACC champ over an SEC champ given the obvious bias? ACC has a winning record vs SEC this year yet the tired narrative remains. These people realize the teams of the past aren't actually on the field playing this year right?
Smumba2009
Varsity

Previous

Return to Football