PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Cal, Stanford, SMU leaving ACC for......

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Cal, Stanford, SMU leaving ACC for......

Postby Smumba2009 » Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:22 am

Good read below. After FSU was left out by the corrupt committee it seems their ACC departure is imminent. Clemson and Miami are likely to use their brand power to also find a new home. SMU is also mentioned in the article below as being impacted by the FSU snub.

https://trojanswire.usatoday.com/lists/ ... ent-again/

On a personal note, this year's playoff selection outcome has ruined college football for me. I'm not being dramatic. The spirit of the game that drove me to levels of obsession was broken this weekend. I will always support my Mustangs, no matter what. However, we are now dealing with a corrupt system(NCAA, committee, etc).

If you haven't seen or read this letter from Florida Senator it's a beauty:

https://www.rickscott.senate.gov/2023/1 ... feated-fsu

I pray this results in something meaningful.

#ponyup
Last edited by Smumba2009 on Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Smumba2009
Varsity

Re: Cal, Stanford, SMU leaving ACC for......

Postby highlander » Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:35 am

Smumba2009 wrote:On a personal note this year's playoff outcome has ruined college football for me. I'm not being dramatic. The spirit of the game that drove me to levels of obsession was broken this weekend. I will always support my Mustangs, no matter what. However, we are now dealing with a corrupt system(NCAA, committee, etc).

#ponyup

I agree 100% with all this. The events of Sunday have shown just how corrupt college football has become. I will always support my Mustangs, but I feel guilty contributing to such a corrupt organization as the NCAA by watching the games.
highlander
Varsity

Postby birddogger » Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:49 am

Going into conference championship week, the top 11 P5 teams consisted of: 3 SEC (GA, AL and MO), 2 BigXII (UT, OK), 2 ACC (FSU, LOU), 2 PAC (OR, UW) and 2 BIG (UM, OSU).

Had there been a 12-team playoff this year, there would have been excellent balance among the P5 conferences. Of course, there aren’t 12 teams in the mix this year, but it does go to show that there will be ample representation of all conferences under the new format.

All of this talk about Clemson, MIA and FSU leaving the ACC is knee-jerk and shallow. Those schools have a better crack at the playoffs by remaining in the ACC, beating "weak" teams, and exiting the regular season with 12-0, 11-1 or 10-2, records, not by leaving to become also-rans in the SEC with 8-4 or 9-3 records.
birddogger
All-American

Postby highlander » Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:52 am

birddogger wrote:Going into conference championship week, the top 11 P5 teams consisted of: 3 SEC (GA, AL and MO), 2 BigXII (UT, OK), 2 ACC (FSU, LOU), 2 PAC (OR, UW) and 2 BIG (UM, OSU).

Had there been a 12-team playoff this year, there would have been excellent balance among the P5 conferences. Of course, there aren’t 12 teams in the mix this year, but it does go to show that there will be ample representation of all conferences under the new format.

All of this talk about Clemson, MIA and FSU leaving the ACC is knee-jerk and shallow. Those schools have a better crack at the playoffs by remaining in the ACC, beating "weak" teams, and exiting the regular season with 12-0, 11-1 or 10-2, records, not by leaving to become also-rans in the SEC with 8-4 or 9-3 records.

It is true FSU has a better shot at getting to the championship by staying in the ACC. But you can say the same about UT and OU if they had stayed in the Big 12. The same is true for UW and Oregon staying in the Pac12. They all know this. This just proves that it is not about winning championships -- it's fundamentally about MONEY. There is more money to be made in the Big10 and SEC.

This is why I am so disgusted by it all.
Last edited by highlander on Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
highlander
Varsity

Postby PlanoStang » Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:54 am

What is a Matt Zemik :?: Why should I believe anything put out by some rag at USC :?: Click bait at best.
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mustangxc » Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:56 am

If money is the issue, then they are tied to the ACC for 9 more years due to the GOR. This is all wishful thinking and fake news by some overly dramatic knuckleheads.
mustangxc
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby 1983 Cotton Bowl » Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:00 am

For one thing, I don't believe that article cited any sources, anonymous or otherwise. So I agree its just clickbait and not real reporting.

For another thing, its no secret that FSU wants out of the ACC. They've been irritatingly open about that fact. Even the other schools that are unhappy about the ACC have been publicly annoyed by FSU's continued spouting off. And unless Notre Dame comes onboard as a full ACC member and the money picture fundamentally changes, I suppose there's a good chance they will try to move on. I just hope that if they do go, its not in the next couple of years at least.
1983 Cotton Bowl
Heisman

Postby birddogger » Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:28 am

highlander wrote:
birddogger wrote:Going into conference championship week, the top 11 P5 teams consisted of: 3 SEC (GA, AL and MO), 2 BigXII (UT, OK), 2 ACC (FSU, LOU), 2 PAC (OR, UW) and 2 BIG (UM, OSU).

It is true FSU has a better shot at getting to the championship by staying in the ACC. But you can say the same about UT and OU if they had stayed in the Big 12. The same is true for UW and Oregon staying in the Pac12. They all know this. This just proves that it is not about winning championships -- it's fundamentally about MONEY. There is more money to be made in the Big10 and SEC.

This is why I am so disgusted by it all.

Highlander, I absolutely understand your dismay over the $$$. But players want to win or at least have a shot at championships, as well as get paid.

It remains to be seen whether UT, OU, UO or UW regret their decision. I mean, Arky and Miss. St. enjoy that SEC $$, and Indiana and Illinois loves their BIG$, too, but who really cares about those programs? Can you see UT, which already has more $$$ than it know what to do with, content with being 3rd or 4th in the SEC and not being in the national title picture? America loves winners, not also rans.

We can look at our own men's BB program as an example.

For now, all we can do is watch this experiment unfold, but the "big" ACC schools would be wise to wait.

And this opinion is worth every penny you pay for it....
birddogger
All-American

Postby highlander » Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:30 am

Birddogger, I have definitely gotten my money's worth.
highlander
Varsity

Postby 1983 Cotton Bowl » Tue Dec 05, 2023 12:24 pm

I don't have a crystal ball, but I imagine UT will do fine in the SEC. OU, on the other hand, may become the next Arkansas.
1983 Cotton Bowl
Heisman

Postby orguy » Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:01 pm

Highly unlikely the goons end up mid tier SEC as much as I would relish this.
Too large a fanbase and history of success in the Big 12.
orguy
All-American

Postby highlander » Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:18 pm

orguy wrote:Highly unlikely the goons end up mid tier SEC as much as I would relish this.
Too large a fanbase and history of success in the Big 12.

Texas has been the Big12 champion a grand total of 4 times since 1996 (when the Big 12 started). Given the level of competition, it should have been WWAAAAYYYYY more times than that. OU has won it 14 times. K-State and Baylor have each won it 3 times. I know none of those were in the NIL era, but still they were big fish in a relatively small pond. This does not bode well for UT.
highlander
Varsity

Postby PlanoStang » Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:23 pm

Which goons?

Rick Scott should also ask the 13 for IRS returns for this and last year!
May the forth be with us.
PlanoStang
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby highlander » Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:27 pm

PlanoStang wrote:Which goons?

Rick Scott should also ask the 13 for IRS returns for this and last year!

Not sure. But as an SMU fan, when I think "goons", I think UT.
highlander
Varsity

Postby Water Pony » Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:57 pm

The threat by FSU to leave the ACC is likely overstated.

What is their realistic option for a better conference. I suspect both the B1G and SEC are not reaching out to them or Clemson for that matter. Both P2 conferences need to absorb major additions next year and may not want more mouths to feed even if they are powers like the Seminoles and Tigers (or even Miami, UNC, etc.)

FSU's ego being bruised may motivate them to leave their conference home; but what are realistic options? Logically, the ACC is better for winning percentage and conference championship games. Wanting more money can be achieved within the ACC based on future adjustments to revenue sharing and continuing to the ACC big dog.
Pony Up
Water Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Next

Return to Football