PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Things to look for coming out of the spring/spring game.

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Things to look for coming out of the spring/spring game.

Postby JasonB » Tue Mar 23, 2004 12:24 pm

QB:
Wallis was a great competitor, and gave a lot of effort, but obviously losing him and getting two JUCO QBs is an upgrade at this position. The JUCOs are unknowns, but if one of them pushes for the starting position, or claims the starting position over Phillips, then we can consider the Ponies significantly upgraded at the position.

RB:
We have a lot of RBs who have not hit the field yet. However, the fact that last year Fitz was pushing for the starting spot, and this year he is a backup linebacker tells you we have already upgraded here. It will be interesting to see if Munlin can establish himself as a true number 1, or if Massey or Dorsey push him for time.

WR:
If Griffin and Rushbrook are still in the mix for starting spots, that spells trouble for SMU in the fall. If they are pushed down the depth chart, it would be a significant upgrade at a position of need. How much of an upgrade will be difficult to tell because of unknowns at the QB and CB positions.

OT:
DJ will be an upgrade just through gaining experience at the position. On the other side, replacing a senior with someone who has never started a game is always a downgrade. The positive news is that last year Neal was pushing for a starting spot, and this year he has been moved to backup Guard. That implies an improvement in depth at the position. Overall, this position would have to be considered a downgrade until we see them play in the fall in a real game. DE is a weakness of the Ponies, so the Spring game won't tell too much.

OG:
Hargis is still there, and him being healthy will help. At LG, it looks like Boren is the starter. Starting over Eidson would be considered an upgrade, but I don't think he necessarily beat BK or GE out. BK and GE were probably moved to Center for necessity. LG should be considered an unknown until we see how Boren handles the Spring Game. DT is actually a position of strength for SMU, and if he can handle Adami, Jones, and Bonds, then he can probably handle most DTs in the WAC. I think that is a critical position to watch during the SG.

C:
Lose a Senior, a very good player, and replace him with unknowns at the position. BK played Center in HS, but had problems holding starting positions at other parts of the line at SMU. This would have to be considered a downgrade until we see how the center position plays out in the Spring Game against the quality DTs. The reserve centers will be much more difficult to judge, because SMU doesn't have a ton of depth at DT, and is probably an unknown until they get game time in the fall.

TE:
This position is an unknown. It would be nice if Kennedy separates himself from competition, but this is an unknown until Chase shows up in the fall, and even then is an unknown until someone gets some game time. Hrncir wasn't too involved, so it would be hard to claim a downgrade here, but it is definately an unknown.

DT:
Position of strenth for the Mustangs. Adami is back, and another year under the belt of Jones and Bonds would have to be considered a plus, especially with Bonds playing on one leg for much of last year. This position was already solid and should improve with experience. Depth will remain an unknown because of lack of depth on the OL.

DE:
Williams is still starting, he is a known entity, but is not spectacular. The fact that D I-S was moved to LB implies that there is a lot of potential in Rogers, but he is really an unkown entity. Bey and Berry are new players at this position, and we have a good player coming in the fall. Because of the unknowns at OT, this position will likely remain an unknown until games start in the fall; however, the move of D I-S would indicate a move in a positive direction. If anyone can beat out Williams, that would have to be considered an upgrade as well. As long as Williams remains a starter, this would have to be considered a position of weakness for the Ponies - he works hard out there, but simply does not make enough plays.

OLB:
Obviously an unknown for the Mustangs. There is loads of potential here, but nobody has seen much, if any, gametime. Was D I-S moved here because of improvements on the DL, or was he moved because someone isn't coming along quick enough? Unfortunately, without having a center with a lot of experience to coordinate blocking assignments, and no proven tight ends, this position will be a little hard to judge in the Spring Game unless Muse or somebody else is absolutely dominant. Although the postion is assumed to be upgraded by many, we lost a lot of experience here and it would have to be considered an unknown at best until the Ponies take the field for the first time in the fall.

MLB:
Lee is a known entity. If Carrington or especially Hall can grab the starting spot, it would be considered an upgrade. This position was not up to standard last year, and an upgrade is necessary. If it stays the same, the Mustangs will underperform here.

DB:
This is possibly the hardest position to judge on the team. With unknowns at WR and QB, it will be really hard to tell how well these new players perform. There is not a lot of starting experience out there. We lost two seniors, and the one returning player with much expereince has been in and out of the starting lineup the last two years. Ak. is assumed to be a good player, but who knows. Gilmore has been moved to saftey, so that may indicate that Bennett is satisfied with the depth at the position. There will certainly be an upgrade in speed overall, but this is a huge unknown and will stay that way until the opening game of 2004.

S:
It looks like Harper will be FS and Nnubuife SS for the spring. This is interesting - Harris is probably still out with the knee for the spring, but instead of moving Sturdivant up, Nnubuife was moved over. Harper and Nnubuife have a lot of experience and are solid safeties, but I am not sure what thay says about Sturdivant, because I think he was slated for SS. It could potentially be a positive indication of Gilmore's recovery, assuming he has been moved to FS. The safety position would have to be considered status quo, which would still be an improvement over last year because of all the injuries, unless Sturdivant can push for a starting spot. That would be considered an upgrade.

SUMMARY:
QB: Upgrade
RB: Upgrade
WR: At least Status Quo
OT: Downgrade
OG: Unknown
C: Downgrade
TE: Unknown
DE: At least Status Quo
DT: At least Status Quo
OLB: Unknown
MLB: At least Status Quo
CB: Unknown
S: At least Status Quo

Two upgrades and two downgrades, and a lot of unknowns going into 2004. This is going to be another growth year for SMU. I would not expect dramatic improvements in 2005, but if all the unknowns turn into upgrades, it could happen this year. It would not be wise to EXPECT it, however.

Positions of most interest from a starting perspective in the SG:
QB, WR, MLB, OLB, CB

Positions of most interest from a performance perspective in the SG:
LG, C
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby JasonB » Tue Mar 23, 2004 12:41 pm

OLB:
Obviously an unknown. Many people assume this will be an upgrade, but we lost a ton of expereince. Harris and I-S have moved here - is that an indication of a lack of progress from youth, or is it an indication of improved dpeth at DE and SS? This is a big unknown, and with lack of experience at C for changing blcoking assignments, and no proven entities at TE, this will remain an unknown until the games start in the fall unless someone like Muse blows up in the SG.

MLB:
Lee is the returning starter, but underperformed. Carrington or expecially Hall grabbing the starting spot would have to be considered an upgrade here.

CB:
This is an will remain the biggest unknown on the team. We lose two seniors, return one player that was in and out of the starting lineup, and have a transfer coming in who is supposed to be good. This position will be hard to judge until the fall because of the unknowns at WR and QB. Big unknown, although we upgrade in speed.

S:
This would have to be considered Status Quo, unless Sturdivant can push for a starting spot. Nnabuife and Harper are solid players.

SUMMARY:

QB: Upgrade
RB: Upgrade
WR: Status Quo at least
OT: Downgrade
OG: Unknown
C: Downgrade
DE: Status Quo at least
DT: Status Quo at least
OLB: Unknown
MLB: Status Quo at least
CB: Unknown
S: Status Quo at least

Overall, that gives us two downgrades and two definate upgrades. There are a lot of unknowns with this team, and althought there is the POTENTIAL of significant improvement in 2004, I would not expect much until 2005.

Starting Positions of interest for the Spring Game:
QB, WR, CB, OLB, MLB

Performances of interest during the Spring Game:
LG, C
JasonB

Postby Dooby » Tue Mar 23, 2004 5:58 pm

I am just looking to see some offense. Am I right that there was just one touchdown scored last year?
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stallion » Tue Mar 23, 2004 7:25 pm

No I think OSU scored about 10 TDs on offense all by themselves.
Stallion

Postby JasonB » Tue Mar 23, 2004 7:42 pm

I don't know how much was scored, but Bartel went off and Rushbrook had a ton of catches. Judgement of QB, WR, or DB performance will be an unknown until we step on the field in the fall. There are just too many unknowns about those positions to be able to judge if we have improved in those areas or not, other than by looking at who starts at WR and QB. Obviously, new starters would indicate some sort of improvement.
JasonB

Postby Lotus » Tue Mar 23, 2004 10:12 pm

I'm pretty eager to see the new offense. A little balance will make the running vastly improved.
Lotus
All-American

Postby gostangs » Tue Mar 23, 2004 10:55 pm

What about Cleveland at LB? I would guess Lee splits time at LB tops.
gostangs

Postby PonyFan » Wed Mar 24, 2004 8:26 am

D.D. Lee is in the middle, where he lost his starting job late last year to Reggie Carrington. Not sure how that's playing out this spring.

Cleveland and Cory Muse, I hear, are tearing it up in practice. I've heard there's a very real chance both redshirt freshmen will be in the starting lineup against Tech.
PonyFan
Heisman

Re:

Postby The PonyGrad » Thu Mar 25, 2004 6:28 pm

Dooby wrote:I am just looking to see some offense. Am I right that there was just one touchdown scored last year?

SMU scored 6 offensive TDs. KK had 4, Wallis 1, and Phillips 1.
Go Ponies!!
Beat whoever it is we are playing!!

@PonyGrad
The PonyGrad

Re:

Postby Dooby » Thu Mar 25, 2004 6:36 pm

The PonyGrad wrote:
Dooby wrote:I am just looking to see some offense. Am I right that there was just one touchdown scored last year?

SMU scored 6 offensive TDs. KK had 4, Wallis 1, and Phillips 1.

I was talking about the Spring Game last year. At most, there was 1 touchdown scored, which was pretty telling of the season to come.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Dooby
PonyFans.com Legend

Re:

Postby MustangFan » Sun Mar 28, 2004 1:19 pm

The PonyGrad wrote:SMU scored 6 offensive TDs. KK had 4, Wallis 1, and Phillips 1.

I could have sworn Rushbrook scored last year. Not true?

I would caution that it might be premature to expect a significant offensive increase in the Red/Blue game. If we were adding a new player -- a QB, for example -- that alone might take a while to blend in. Now we're virtually adding new players at every position on offense, as the team gets new to a new system, new blocking assignments, new pass routes, new running plays, etc. My guess is it will be August before the offense really starts firing on all cylinders, or maybe even into the season sometime.

With that said, I like the idea that Coach Burns is really going to open things up. How many days until the opener?
MustangFan
All-American

Postby Ladypony » Sun Mar 28, 2004 6:31 pm

Rushbrook had 1 touchdown in each of the first three games.
Ladypony

Return to Football