PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Florida State discussing future in ACC after CFP snub

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Florida State discussing future in ACC after CFP snub

Postby MV pony » Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:31 pm

Go Georgia. Blow out FSU!!!!!!!!!!
MV pony
All-American

Postby Red Dragon Coog » Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:39 pm

https://twitter.com/FrogPreacher/status ... 5992036396

Florida State is singling out SMU in all of this. Lol they blew past Cal and Stanford and went straight after y'all
Red Dragon Coog
Recruit

Postby PonyME » Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:50 pm

Love how FSU refers to SMU as a ‘Member’…in quotes. Well ok then, I guess we’re clear on how they feel lol. In all seriousness, does this step cause FSU to lose its voting rights in future conference decisions and do they still get revenue distributions or is that put into trust until it’s all settled?
PonyME
Scout Team

Postby jkflamebo » Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:54 pm

The reality is their discontent started many years ago with the ACC. Recent CFP snub and conference additions incentivized them to act now. Singling and attacking SMU...not a great look and best of luck in their legal fight. They're going to need it.

As I said in another thread our best hope is to land in P2 conference with other like-mind academic institutions, just not BE 2.0 or AAC minor league conference.

An ACC-Big 12 merger may be likely...need to get on board at any cost.
jkflamebo
Hall of Famer

Postby EastStang » Fri Dec 22, 2023 9:27 pm

FSU knows with NIL money we’ll be a player and we’ll challenge them quickly. I hope we slaughter them next fall. Their quotes should be bulletin boarded this week.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Mustangs_Maroons » Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:17 pm

I felt bad for FSU during the CFP selection process, now I hope they get curb stomped by Georgia.
Mustangs_Maroons
Heisman

Postby peruna81 » Sat Dec 23, 2023 8:43 am

Mustangs_Maroons wrote:I felt bad for FSU during the CFP selection process, now I hope they get curb stomped by Georgia.

Agreed. Sentiment has changed since all the lower lip pouting and posturing...Heard that same opinion voiced several times while here in Orlando this week.

Not well played by their PR folks.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Dukie » Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:06 am

Red Dragon Coog wrote:https://twitter.com/FrogPreacher/status/1738278825992036396

Florida State is singling out SMU in all of this. Lol they blew past Cal and Stanford and went straight after y'all.

Those are just dumb arguments to make about a school that was in a power conference for 75 years, has won natties and a Heisman, and is currently ranked. I sure hope discovery proves up how the Big 12 has kept SMU out from fear, not from disinterest.

Man, the game next fall is going to be fun.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby GHammond » Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:59 am

A very close family friend was a Sugar Bowl official back in the late 80’s through the 90’s. Even though FSU was a power back then and a constant Sugar Bowl participant, friend shared that the bowl officials, committee members, etc mostly grimaced when FSU came to NOLA…explained that they didn’t spend any $$$, maybe bought a T-shirt and a hat, but the bars, restaurants, hotels often complained at their general lack of economic impact - this conversation always made me look at them as a bunch of cheap a_ _ red necks…not sure how accurate that is but the feedback about that fan base was interesting. I think they have a big inferiority complex and have lived in UF’s shadow for decades, culturally….loved that we smacked their backsides in hoops a few weeks back and will welcome them when they visit Big D next season….hopefully, they will visit 7-11 a few times while in town.
GHammond
Varsity

Postby birddogger » Sat Dec 23, 2023 12:24 pm

I now know who my least favorite ACC team will be.

But I'd bet that UNC and Clemson are secretly hoping that FSU succeeds in blowing up the GOR and the conference.
birddogger
All-American

Postby indianmustang » Sat Dec 23, 2023 12:33 pm

lot of fights or arguments on twitter between SMU and FSU
looks like we found our new rival without playing

https://twitter.com/dereksilva1234/stat ... 6379491695
Mustang from India
indianmustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Graceland Tar Heel » Sat Dec 23, 2023 2:25 pm

birddogger wrote:I now know who my least favorite ACC team will be.

But I'd bet that UNC and Clemson are secretly hoping that FSU succeeds in blowing up the GOR and the conference.

You not only do not know UNC, you don't even know the years of interest talk about this matter.UNC is always the most attacked by those who have advocated form the numbers of major conferences being reduced, because UNC is known . well known, to be more than willing to keep the ACC as a Major conference. Yesterday, the only ACC AD singled out by FSU was UNC's Bubba Cunningham.

That said, if both FSU and Clemson leave, it is a given that UNC then would feel it is hopeless to try to keep the ACC as a Major conference.
Graceland Tar Heel
Junior Varsity

Postby SMUstang » Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:15 pm

Question: Is it more important to SMU and/or Notre Dame for the ACC to be a major conference or to have the likes of Florida State, Clemson, and/or North Carolina blow it up due to greed?
SMUstang
Heisman

Postby RunningStang » Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:35 pm

Looks like FSU’s loss in hoops to SMU was the final straw. I say bring it FSU and all the SMU haters out there. The SMU sleeping giant is already wide awake and it is too late for y’all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RunningStang
Junior Varsity

Postby Dukie » Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:38 pm

SMUstang wrote:Question: Is it more important to SMU and/or Notre Dame for the ACC to be a major conference or to have the likes of Florida State, Clemson, and/or North Carolina blow it up due to greed?

What in the world does this mean? The perspectives of SMU and ND align about as well as those of Manchester City and Luton Town (not at all). And while ND will be fine if the ACC blows up, there is no scenario in which SMU is better off. How much worse is unknown. But definitely not as good as if the ACC that starts competition in fall 2024 stays together.
Dukie
Heisman

PreviousNext

Return to Football