PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

2023-24 bowl games

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: 2023-24 bowl games

Postby Dukie » Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:49 pm

Mustangs_Maroons wrote:I don’t see how any neutral can root for Michigan. They’ve been cheating for years.

Because Saban, Alabama, and the $EC are on an entirely different level of #itjustmeansmore arrogance? And they shouldn’t even have been in there ahead of FSU.

So yeah, Michigan (who by the way can no longer cheat as easily as they did) is definitely the current lesser evil.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby Mustangs_Maroons » Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:53 pm

Dukie wrote:
Mustangs_Maroons wrote:I don’t see how any neutral can root for Michigan. They’ve been cheating for years.

Because Saban, Alabama, and the $EC are on an entirely different level of #itjustmeansmore arrogance? And they shouldn’t even have been in there ahead of FSU.

So yeah, Michigan (who by the way can no longer cheat as easily as they did) is definitely the current lesser evil.

Difference of opinion. Arrogance is different than blatant cheating and Harbaugh laughs at everyone’s face. I’m still not sure how Bama beat Georgia. Hope Washington wins it all.
Mustangs_Maroons
Heisman

Postby highlander » Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:54 pm

Dukie wrote:So yeah, Michigan (who by the way can no longer cheat as easily as they did) is definitely the current lesser evil.

Agreed. Easily the lesser evil.
highlander
Varsity

Postby EastStang » Mon Jan 01, 2024 9:13 pm

Washington off to 7-0 lead on Whorns.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Arkpony » Mon Jan 01, 2024 9:23 pm

To me Texas just looks like the better team.
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby Hop Sing » Mon Jan 01, 2024 9:49 pm

Happy Michigan won.
Hop Sing
Varsity

Postby highlander » Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:47 am

UW is trying their best to give UT the game.
highlander
Varsity

Postby HubbaHubba » Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:38 am

UT wouldn't accept their gift. Too bad Michigan and Alabama couldn't both lose.
HubbaHubba
All-American

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:50 am

Those semi-final games were a couple of instant classics but I have to say the officiating was shaky at times. Meanwhile, who would have guessed the Sun Belt Conference would send the most number of teams to bowl games? It comes down to PAC-12 Champ vs B1G Champ to determine which conference finishes with the highest winning percentage this season

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/arti ... owl-season
Charleston Pony

Postby redpony » Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:23 am

so glad the whorens lost. :) :) hated to see the big m cheats win. doubt that the final game generates a lot of interest.
redpony

Postby Dukie » Tue Jan 02, 2024 3:11 pm

Mustangs_Maroons wrote:
Dukie wrote:

Difference of opinion. Arrogance is different than blatant cheating and Harbaugh laughs at everyone’s face. I’m still not sure how Bama beat Georgia. Hope Washington wins it all.

Definitely opinion and shades/degrees rather than an absolute, crystal-clear answer for me. And yes, Michigan will likely face no serious repercussions, though that isn’t certain yet.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby Mustangs_Maroons » Tue Jan 02, 2024 4:27 pm

I personally don't like the SEC and believe it definitely gets preferential treatment. When the CFP committee came back, I thought they were a bunch of buffons for leaving out FSU and also having Liberty ranked ahead of SMU. To be honest, after what FSU tried to do to leave the ACC and the smear campaign against SMU, I was glad they were left out, but that is more a personal take than an objective one.

However, when it came to selecting a field of four teams, Bama benefited from beating (not sure how) the best team in the country in Georgia. It's hard to imagine a case where the best ranked team goes from #1 to #6 for losing a 3 point game in the SEC championship game. Unfortunately, Alabama was overrated and very inconsistent throughout the year. No one can doubt the talent they have, but they have a running back for a QB, and they have the talent to beat Georgia in any given game but also to almost lose to a very poor Auburn team, if not for a miracle last play.

If Georgia wins that game, the Whorns are probably the P5 championship team left out. I believe had Georgia won, the rankings would have been Georgia, Michigan, Washington and FSU. Everything went out the window once Bama won because the position in college football is that it's impossible to leave out a one-loss SEC champion, and the Whorns had the head-to-head advantage against Bama. The whole system was set up for a scenario such as this when they had 4 playoff team with 5 top conferences.

I will say that this is the worst Alabama team I can remember since probably Saban's first year. The play calling was atrocious. To be fair, I think that Michigan probably didn't need to cheat this year as they have a well-coached team with experienced players and a true identity (run the ball 40 times / game with good schemes and a strong O-line). I think in years past, the talent disparity btw OSU and Michigan was so large that they did need to advance scout to try to compete. This is also probably the worst OSU team in many years by the way. But, I cannot support a Michigan coach, team and program that has blatantly lied about his recruiting violations and sign-stealing scandal for years, then dares the NCAA, laughs it all off and then takes a them vs the world type of mentality, as if this had been manufactured.

Had Georgia been in these playoffs, I think they easily beat any team in the country. Needless to say, I hope that Washington wins the Natty. But, the matchup in styles couldn't be any more different.
Mustangs_Maroons
Heisman

Previous

Return to Football