PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Fenway Bowl Game Thread

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Fenway Bowl Game Thread

Postby MV pony » Thu Dec 28, 2023 2:32 pm

Our players’ NIL values just took a hit. Wonder how much NIL money the BC players’ receive. Bet it’s less.
MV pony
All-American

Postby GHammond » Thu Dec 28, 2023 2:33 pm

I’m in the Mustangs35SMU and WildHorse camp…we competed, moved the ball, made big plays on both sides of the ball…weather sucked, we dropped some passes-several, BC’s QB had a big day…the doom and gloom here is typical PF rant. We will compete next year and continue to escalate. A bowl game 3+weeks after our last game, away, in total muck, rookie QB…thought we competed. It’s a f’ing bowl game, folks.
GHammond
Varsity

Postby redpony » Thu Dec 28, 2023 2:37 pm

HMMMM! some teams and schools think bowl games are important.
redpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Dec 28, 2023 2:41 pm

I hope the players at least enjoyed their trip and visit to Boston. These games are supposed to be a reward for a good season and SMU football had a good season, so other than losing this game I hope they had fun. We get to play BC at Ford next year and should have Stone back at the helm with a more experienced Jennings backing him up. Looks like we are well on our way via the portal to replacing some key pieces who will be moving on so we'll find out next year if this team can compete in the ACC. Hopefully we do better than Houston, Cincy, UCF & BYU did in their transition to P5 football
Charleston Pony

Postby WildHorse » Thu Dec 28, 2023 2:43 pm

Disppointing game, obviously. But I love what Lashlee is building. Already looking forward to next season.
Go PONIES!
WildHorse
All-American

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Dec 28, 2023 2:45 pm

Looking for silver linings, these bowl games always seem to produce unknown FR and I thought Adam Moore was a pleasant surprise today. He and Maryland are going to make a nice tandem to further enhance the passing game
Charleston Pony

Postby orguy » Thu Dec 28, 2023 2:47 pm

Knew we were goining to be in trouble last week. Several coaches had stated
that they had been 100 percent focused on recruiting. Appears they put little
effort into scouting BC. Lashlee is 0-2 in bowl games. This trend needs to stop.
The games are meaningful any way you slice it. SMU blew it and showed the
nation the committee was correct.
orguy
All-American

Postby mustangxc » Thu Dec 28, 2023 2:51 pm

Nobody on the team should walk away feeling proud of that performance. Hopefully it drives them throughout the entire offseason to avoid embarrassing themselves and SMU in the ACC in 2024. I think we'll be lucky to win 3-5 games in 2024 with our schedule based on today's performance.
mustangxc

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Thu Dec 28, 2023 2:56 pm

Too many drops.
Too many blocked balls on special teams.
We need to hire a FULL-TIME special teams coach!
Too many horrible refs
I think we beat BC at Ford next year with Stone @ QB
We had a good year!
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby 1983 Cotton Bowl » Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:01 pm

The drops today were brutal, Jennings looked like a young backup in the second half especially, BC controlled the line of scrimmage, and their QB ran all over us. But I'm definitely not in meltdown mode. Let's not lose sight of the fact that this has been a really fun SMU season outside IMO the disappointments at TCU and Fenway. And I think today's game, combined with FSU dissing us in their court filings, will serve as extra motivation for our coaches and boosters to make sure SMU looks like they belong next season.
1983 Cotton Bowl
Heisman

Postby 1983 Cotton Bowl » Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:02 pm

Insane_Pony_Posse wrote:Too many drops.
Too many horrible refs
We had a good year!

Yes, our special teams needs a major upgrade. They were so sketchy today. Not sure why it takes our punter what feels like 20 seconds to get the ball off every time.
1983 Cotton Bowl
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:04 pm

1983 Cotton Bowl wrote:
Insane_Pony_Posse wrote:Too many drops.
Too many horrible refs
We had a good year!

Yes, our special teams needs a major upgrade. They were so sketchy today. Not sure why it takes our punter what feels like 20 seconds to get the ball off every time.

Looked like he was really afraid of fumbling the snap and was taking too long to make sure he secured the ball. He's always been slow actually getting his punts off after securing the ball because of the rugby style punting
Charleston Pony

Postby Mustangs_Maroons » Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:14 pm

If the coaches didn’t really prepare this team, wouldn’t it have been better to reject this invitation? It was an embarrassment of an invitation anyway, to have this team (winner of the AAC) travel all the way to the northeast to play in dismal conditions against a team in the same city.

Oh, and if we don’t have a full time special teams coach, how in the world is that possible. The blocked FG was a game changing momentum play.
Mustangs_Maroons
Heisman

Postby MV pony » Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:15 pm

Didn’t we lose our long snapper?
MV pony
All-American

Postby mustangxc » Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:18 pm

1983 Cotton Bowl wrote:The drops today were brutal, Jennings looked like a young backup in the second half especially, BC controlled the line of scrimmage, and their QB ran all over us. But I'm definitely not in meltdown mode. Let's not lose sight of the fact that this has been a really fun SMU season outside IMO the disappointments at TCU and Fenway. And I think today's game, combined with FSU dissing us in their court filings, will serve as extra motivation for our coaches and boosters to make sure SMU looks like they belong next season.

I'm not so much in meltdown mode as I am panic mode. I foresee UC/UH type of seasons or worse for SMU this coming season. The ACC is better than the Big XII and those teams got embarrassed this season.
mustangxc

PreviousNext

Return to Football