PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

I Miss June Jones

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: I Miss June Jones

Postby mustangxc » Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:57 pm

We were 1-11 the year before he arrived and 1-11 his last season. At least he proved we could be competitive at SMU taking us to 4 straight bowl games.

I did enjoy the win at Tulane, as I was there. However, context matters and it is not as big a win now as it seemed at the time.
mustangxc
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:06 pm

mustangxc wrote:Based on our P5 results, I anticipate an epic catastrophe. 3-5 wins.

Not everyone understands how challenging next year in the ACC will actually be.

Human nature being what it is, some will blame or start questioning Coach Lashlee's ability because they see us win 11 games and a conference championship this past season and then struggle the next year, glossing over what an incredible jump we are making.

When the full schedule is out, we may have a better feel for how challenging it will be.

With wins coming against Houston Christian and some other cupcake I think we should get 5-6 wins the first year in the ACC.
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby peruna81 » Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:51 am

Insane_Pony_Posse wrote:
mustangxc wrote:Based on our P5 results, I anticipate an epic catastrophe. 3-5 wins.

Not everyone understands how challenging next year in the ACC will actually be.

Human nature being what it is, some will blame or start questioning Coach Lashlee's ability because they see us win 11 games and a conference championship this past season and then struggle the next year, glossing over what an incredible jump we are making.

When the full schedule is out, we may have a better feel for how challenging it will be.

With wins coming against Houston Christian and some other cupcake I think we should get 5-6 wins the first year in the ACC.

6...but Aye to the rest...
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:09 am

6 wins and another bowl game would be an accomplishment for this program in it's 1st year in the ACC and would be better than Houston, Cincinnati and BYU fared in their 1st season in the Big XII
Charleston Pony

Postby EastStang » Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:01 am

We know our ACC opponents next year. Cal, Stanford, UVA, BC, Pitt, Duke, Louisville and FSU.
We should be competitive against Cal, Stanford, UVA, BC, Pitt and perhaps Duke in transition. Will we win all those games, probably not. But perhaps 1/2 of them. Then Louisville on the road and FSU at home will be the real difficult games for us. TCU and BYU are winnable again maybe 50/50. So, that leaves one FCS game and the replacement for Vandy. So, I predict 6 wins which would be great for us. If we win only 4 or win 8, that's understandable. I think we will have a bunch of close games.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Hop Sing » Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:14 am

We won our first conference championship in 40 years, albeit against very weak competition for the most part, but we obliterated the weak ones. We finally had a defense in forever added to a pretty potent young offense which allowed us to still be in the game AT Oklahoma with 7 minutes remaining. Our reward was the Wasabi Mud Bowl that we lost by 9 points, and now the sky is falling again.

Next year is going to be EPIC, and I’m not saying that based on wins and losses. If we make it to another bowl next year with 6 wins that will be awesome, and if we don’t the season is still going to be epic. We will be playing in big boy conference with a LOT more eyeballs watching around the country, and should have 2 legit Ford sellouts. Let’s enjoy the ride.
Hop Sing
Varsity

Postby 1983 Cotton Bowl » Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:32 am

With BYU coming to town, I see 3 sellouts. Aside from that minor quibble, I totally agree.
1983 Cotton Bowl
Heisman

Postby Hop Sing » Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:42 am

1983 Cotton Bowl wrote:With BYU coming to town, I see 3 sellouts. Aside from that minor quibble, I totally agree.

I remember playing BYU at the Cotton Bowl back in our WAC days, and you are right.
Hop Sing
Varsity

Postby BUS » Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:56 am

I'm with Hop Sing in the Rikshaw.
If you want to jump on the BUS of fans, keep a positive attitude as we are now playing with the Big Boys and that is where we should be. I would not be surprised if we go to a bowl game with 6-7or 8 wins. Let's see how the April portal action goes. We have the spots to fill and Lashlee and staff have done well in the past.

Get involved at some level with an NIL. Ponysportsdtx is mine and continue to donate to the school as you have in the past. Don't rob peter to pay paul on this. Find extra money to help an NIL.

The future looks bright - I got to wear shades.

Peace
G/BUS
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby 1983 Cotton Bowl » Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:36 pm

Hop Sing wrote:
1983 Cotton Bowl wrote:With BYU coming to town, I see 3 sellouts. Aside from that minor quibble, I totally agree.

I remember playing BYU at the Cotton Bowl back in our WAC days, and you are right.

I was there too. That game sucked. If memory serves, BYU had a late comeback and won it in OT. I'd like to get a little payback for that one (and for the 1980 Holiday Bowl and the 2022 New Mexico Bowl while we're at it) next season at Ford.
1983 Cotton Bowl
Heisman

Postby 1983 Cotton Bowl » Thu Jan 04, 2024 12:38 pm

That was the weird first Cavan season where we started off something like 1-4, then won 5 straight, and then took a dump at 0-10 TCU in the final week to miss a bowl game. We beat Arkansas that year!
1983 Cotton Bowl
Heisman

Postby RunningStang » Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:55 pm

I am really excited for SMU football. Ford should be sold out for the schedule we have this fall. SMU’s transfer portal class is in the top 15 and their overall class for 2025 is in the top 10. I never thought as a kid at Texas Stadium watching the pony express that SMU would be given the death penalty. I was heart broken and never thought we would recover. We have recovered. National media is taking interest and do not be surprised if SMU is ranked in the preseason in the top 20. We are back!!! As far as the Fenway Bowl, the game conditions looked absolutely miserable. The fact that they were leading at halftime is great. Pony Up! SMU football is back!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RunningStang
Junior Varsity

Postby Dukie » Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:11 pm

RunningStang wrote:I am really excited for SMU football. Ford should be sold out for the schedule we have this fall. SMU’s transfer portal class is in the top 15 and their overall class for 2025 is in the top 10. I never thought as a kid at Texas Stadium watching the pony express that SMU would be given the death penalty. I was heart broken and never thought we would recover. We have recovered. National media is taking interest and do not be surprised if SMU is ranked in the preseason in the top 20. We are back!!! As far as the Fenway Bowl, the game conditions looked absolutely miserable. The fact that they were leading at halftime is great. Pony Up! SMU football is back!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1
Dukie
Heisman

Previous

Return to Football